2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
I agree, those guys get paid like crazy though. Those aren't really guys you want to go searching around for on the UFA market. You just gotta hope you develop a guy like that to keep them around. I'd love for us to have a fourth liner like Rinaldo, he's a good hockey player and a damn good agitator, he's just dirty because he plays for the Flyers. I love how he just hits everything and tries to stir stuff up.

Exactly, I want a guy who finishes nice, hard, checks.

It gets the crowd into it. Bernier will occasionally throw a huge hit.

But Rinaldo has fought guys like Thornton who is a legit heavy weight fighter.

Shaw has fought guys like Chipchura etc.

That's impressive for guys under 6 feet

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Exactly, I want a guy who finishes nice, hard, checks.

It gets the crowd into it. Bernier will occasionally throw a huge hit.

But Rinaldo has fought guys like Thornton who is a legit heavy weight fighter.

Shaw has fought guys like Chipchura etc.

That's impressive for guys under 6 feet

Clutterbuck may be a FA

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wouldnt mind him at all. But short term with a low salary.Give him a one year deal. Just tell him look, your going to play 30-35 games this year , possibly more if you do well. Play well and the starting job is yours next year.

He was good in Phoenix, and even under Gretzky. Gretzky's Coyotes were like closer to Maclean's Devils than anything.

Bryz gives up his fair share of blooper reel goals, but he has virtually no defense played for him some nights. Blown coverage around the net, countless breakaways, and odd man rushes, simple fundamental defense that doesn't exist. Bobrovsky went from being as bad as Bryz has been to a Vezina candidate a year later. I'm pretty sure he also played almost as many games this year or more than he did last year. I think Mason will likely look like BJ's Mason or even worse next year. He looked fine this year, but for how long?

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
He was good in Phoenix, and even under Gretzky. Gretzky's Coyotes were like closer to Maclean's Devils than anything.

Bryz gives up his fair share of blooper reel goals, but he has virtually no defense played for him some nights. Blown coverage around the net, countless breakaways, and odd man rushes, simple fundamental defense that doesn't exist. Bobrovsky went from being as bad as Bryz has been to a Vezina candidate a year later. I'm pretty sure he also played almost as many games this year or more than he did last year. I think Mason will likely look like BJ's Mason or even worse next year. He looked fine this year, but for how long?

Mind you, some of the headlining defenders infront of Bryz this year

Kent Huskins
Bruno Gervais
Kurtis Foster
Oliver Lauridsen (who I kinda like and he's still young)
Matt Walker
Gustafsson
Manning
Bourdon

Those three are still young though in all fairness

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Now I ask, what would you guys want to give for Clutterbuck RFA right?

I am not too comfortable moving picks since we are thin there

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really don't want any part of Clutterbuck. He'd help to clog up the wing situation without adding much in terms of offense. I guess that depends who's getting resigned though.

To be honest, I'd almost rather see Matteau play.

apice3*

if a player is offer sheeted, he cant be traded for one calendar year. Aside from that, normal rules apply.

Happened with Setoguchi. He re-signed with SJ and was dealt like a week later for Burns.

Minnesota will move other players to keep Clutterbuck. Heatley is an amnesty possibility.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Obviously zajac is better defensively, but he had a stretch of a ton of games in which he was backchecking really really soft. I even remember RG talking about that ask him. I obviously know Zajac is better d wise than Lokti, but he wasnt better than him defensively for a large part of the shortened season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mind you, some of the headlining defenders infront of Bryz this year

Kent Huskins
Bruno Gervais
Kurtis Foster
Oliver Lauridsen (who I kinda like and he's still young)
Matt Walker
Gustafsson
Manning
Bourdon

Those three are still young though in all fairness

Just the whole team defense was bleh. The forwards too, not just the defensemen, but that is some lineup! They also were using Kurtis Foster on the penalty kill!:amazed: Jesus can anybody here imagine Kurtis Foster getting any PK time on our team?:laugh:

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Frazee if he was a better goalie would've been a lot of fun to watch at the NHL level, he had an unorthodox style (saw him in Albany a lot) sort of like khudobin

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Since when is Loktionov bad defensively? Bad along the boards maybe, but he was fine on the backcheck. He was one of the best forwards on the team at limiting shots against (small sample caveat applies, of course).

Yeah I have no clue where this label is coming from, he's a responsible puck possession player with a knack for takeaways. Loktionov's got what a center needs to be a top 6 player under PDB's coaching.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Frazee if he was a better goalie would've been a lot of fun to watch at the NHL level, he had an unorthodox style (saw him in Albany a lot) sort of like khudobin

Unorthodox doesn't always mean good, but I know what you mean. Wedge doesn't play straight butterfly either, it's one of the reasons I want him to be the next long term Devils starter.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yeah I have no clue where this label is coming from, he's a responsible puck possession player with a knack for takeaways. Loktionov's got what a center needs to be a top 6 player under PDB's coaching.

Loktionov = skilled Russian not named Datsyuk.

Skilled Russian not named Datsyuk = must be bad defensively.

Simple equation. What don't you understand?

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
i was a bit "out"...

can anyone update me about...

who's who in the draft (who is good, who would fit?)?
and: who's possible for trading to NJ?

would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad