Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
We could use Lecavalier for 1 year and then buy him out to make room for Barkov. If not bought out, you are stuck with a 50 point player making 7.7mil.

Vinny has been on a pace for over 60+ points in 82 games every year for the last decade, and for 13 of his 15 seasons. Hardly a "50 point player "

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
not that I buy it but get 3rd and then flip + Colborne or something to Fla for Bjugstad and Gudbranson

They get Mack and Drouin
Leafs get a top pairing right handed dman and top 6 C with size

hahahhaha

I hope you're joking. We can easily just sign D Murray who does almost everything Gudbrandson does.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I know that Barkov better suits our needs, but at this point Drouin is still considered by most to be the BPA at third. Could Nonis stomach that?

Maybe Nashville takes Drouin and we recoup a 2nd that goes in the Tampa trade to move down 1 spot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are there any UFA's that you don't want Dave Nonis to go after for whatever reasons you might have?

For me I hope they don't sign Mike Riberio. I personally never liked him after he faked that injury while with Montreal during the 2004 playoffs. Plus when he was with Dallas he faked being high sticked while playing against Toronto, was able to draw a penalty, Dallas tied the game late in the 3rd and Riberio scored the winner in overtime.

So players with that type of reputation I never liked.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
While we're on the topic of ridiculous idea's ... Flip the 3rd overall + another young asset (winger or d-man) to Florida for Huberdeau ;)

Florida gives up a hell of a player, but are able to draft both Mackinnon and Drouin, plus get another quality youngster (Maybe Frattin, Colborne, Ashton, or one of our d-prospects)

:P

^ DD, trade back with Calgary... Move from 3rd overall to 6th (and take Monahan) and get another one of their first rounders + for it

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Vinny has been on a pace for over 60+ points in 82 games every year for the last decade, and for 13 of his 15 seasons. Hardly a "50 point player "

60 points for 7.7x7million doesnt cut it.

People don't want to pay kessel that (not me), who is a 80+point player and is far younger

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I know that Stephen Weiss has been discussed ad nauseam, but I was wondering if anyone has brought up reuniting him with Horton. I realize that Boston will be pushing really hard to resign Horton, but we may be able to convince him if his buddy is included. Additionally, BOS already has almost $42M wrapped up in their forwards.

I, like most people here believe that we need two more pieces for our top 6. We would have to try to trade or buy out Grabbo, more for next year than this.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Weiss Horton
Kulemin Colborne Frattin
XXX McClement Orr/McLaren

I'm just going to bump this as it got buried in the TB rumour. Any thoughts?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know that Barkov better suits our needs, but at this point Drouin is still considered by most to be the BPA at third. Could Nonis stomach that?

Well, if he wanted Barkov, he could trade down a spot if Nashville were to agree to take Drouin. Pick up another pick or prospect...

Of course it isn't completely impossible for MacKinnon to drop to third either.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm just going to bump this as it got buried in the TB rumour. Any thoughts?

I'm not THAT sold on Weiss... and not that sold on Horton either. I kind of think Horton is riding Krejci and Lucic's coattails here. Horton is another ~50 pt winger who's having a fabulous post-season, and will likely ink a long-term contract based on that performance.

But we shouldn't be buying-high like that... it's not smart cap management. I guess we'll have to wait and see until after the draft how our team looks before assessing a UFA strategy.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I'd want to wait a year before buying out Vinny, never know if he could regain his form. Put him with Kessel and it may become what Vinny + Marty was to them back in the day. And with Lupul on the other wing....

large_homer.drool.jpg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
With Colton Orr about to re-sign for 2 years at $1,000,000 does anyone wonder what Frazer McLaren would re-sign for considering he is going to become an RFA.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm not THAT sold on Weiss... and not that sold on Horton either. I kind of think Horton is riding Krejci and Lucic's coattails here. Horton is another ~50 pt winger who's having a fabulous post-season, and will likely ink a long-term contract based on that performance.

But we shouldn't be buying-high like that... it's not smart cap management. I guess we'll have to wait and see until after the draft how our team looks before assessing a UFA strategy.

I agree that it's a little early to buy high. I'm not sure that they would be overly expensive and although neither are rookies, they aren't in their mid-thirties either. Additionally, take a look at their stats in FLA when they played together. I'm less concerned with Horton's point totals and more concerned with his 230Lbs body and skill level for our top six.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I agree that it's a little early to buy high. I'm not sure that they would be overly expensive and although neither are rookies, they aren't in their mid-thirties either. Additionally, take a look at their stats in FLA when they played together. I'm less concerned with Horton's point totals and more concerned with his 230Lbs body and skill level for our top six.

We're talking $10 million x 5 years for them combined. Weiss @ 4.5 and Horton @ 5.5 is my guess, both with 5 year deals.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
60 points for 7.7x7million doesnt cut it.

People don't want to pay kessel that (not me), who is a 80+point player and is far younger

We'd be buying him out after next season or looking to retrade him.

The true prize is what we'd get for taking on the Vinny contract.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m
Colton Orr's two-year contract extension with TOR is now official. Annual salary/cap hit of $925K.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 2m
I see a 4th line next season of Orr and mclaren centred by colborne.....3 good western Canadian boys. #tmltalk #tallboys

Or we could call the line Two and a Half men.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Barkov >>>> Drouin (and I like Drouin).

He could also turn out to be better than MacKinnon.

3rd overall
Lecavalier

for

Grabovski
Gunnarsson
1st
2nd

Sign Clarkson
Re-sign Bozak
Buyout Lecavalier

-------------------------

Lupul - Barkov - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
D'Amigo - Bozak - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr
-Ashton/Frattin/Colborne

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Rielly - Ranger
Fraser - Franson
-Liles/Blacker

Reimer

In the system:
Biggs, Leivo, Ross, Broll, Devane, Connor Brown, Ashton, Colborne,
Percy, Finn, Nilsson, Granberg, MacWilliam, Blacker, Holzer, Loov

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

If he cant he can drop back a spot say trade the 3rd for 4th and take Barkov and maybe snag an extra pick like a 3rd or something. Barkov is the guy they should be looking at because he fits Toronto's biggest need and I personally think he's just as talented as anyone in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad