Prospect Info: 2013 Development Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I was there. Not much to go by as it was just basic drills but obviously Drouin stood out. Kucherov and Gusev look really good together. Would be fun to see them play together in the future. Vasilevski was looking sharp as he wasnt letting many go by him in the drills. I was also impressed a little by Koekkoek as he was breaking plays up left and right. Drouin scored on his first shot on net. He was also last off the ice.

Great to hear Drouin was the best and most committed out there. Thanks for the update!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Koekkoek is going to surprise so many of you. Kid is very bright and mobile.

He was a pretty big kid too. I also thought he was showing some good leadership out there too. Was always hustling to and from the coaches in between drills. That's not a huge deal but for your first round pick that's what you like to see. Hopefully he has some better luck with the injuries.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://soundcloud.com/tblightning/steve-yzerman-development-camp

Yzerman:
"I look at a Matthew Peca for example. This is his third year here. ...your initial impression is he looks a little older, physically filled out more and on the ice a little bit more power each year. Nikita Kucherov a year ago came here and he just had his shoulder fixed and seeing the condition he's in, hes obviously worked extremely hard over the course of the year, so yeah you do see a significant difference in some of them."
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-prospect-camp-gets-underway-20130706/
Often, the improvements are tangible.

"We notice it with the off-ice training," Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray said. "The exposure to a strength coach and knowing that you are going to be held accountable in improving in that area is going to make them work harder in the strength area and the conditioning component, which is going to make them a better player."
"It's about professionalism, you know how to act, you know what to do at every given time," Peca said. "I think just knowing how to act around the staff and everything like that, it certainly benefits the guys on and off the ice."
Lightning coach Jon Cooper, who ran the camp the previous three summers, notices the improvement from year to year when he sees the players come in. The biggest benefit Cooper sees is offering a foundation so when the players' pro careers start, the learning curve is quicker.

"Here at the Tampa Bay Lightning, we have a certain code of conduct of your professionalism, how hard you have to work and things you have to get done, and this is where it starts," he said. "When they get to Tampa or Syracuse (in the American Hockey League), they know what is expected of them."

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/BoltProspects

Some BP tweets from today

On Erne:
Erne talked about being driven to contribute at NHL level. Determined to do whatever it takes, whatever the plan is for him, to get there.
Erne said he's happy to contribute in offensive end but stressed he loves the physical side of the game. "I've always liked hitting guys."
Vermin:
Vermin says he's soaking in the experience: the coaching, opportunities to get to know other players.
Vermin was in bed when he got the phone call bearing the news he'd been drafted. Acknowledged he might have done a fist pump or two.
Welychka:
Really like the wheels and hands of Brett Welychka, an invitee from London (OHL). Killing it on 2-on-1s. Great release on the fly.
Koekkoek:
Koekkoek just took down Mullin with some aggressive stick-work at the side of the net as Mullin tried a wrap-around.
Mullin, who piled onto the back of the net, looked none too pleased as he slapped his own shin-pad. Looks alright.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It sucks that Keokkoek will not be participating in the 3 on 3 portion. From what I'm hearing and reading about him though I expect him to get a fair look in camp and possibly the 10 game tryout. Aulie doesn't have the skating or skillset he has, Brewers speed is crippling him and Barberio looked really out of place in his call up. If it wase for his injuries he would've made the team IMO.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
It sucks that Keokkoek will not be participating in the 3 on 3 portion. From what I'm hearing and reading about him though I expect him to get a fair look in camp and possibly the 10 game tryout. Aulie doesn't have the skating or skillset he has, Brewers speed is crippling him and Barberio looked really out of place in his call up. If it wase for his injuries he would've made the team IMO.

Any reason he isn't participating in the 3 on 3 portion?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Are we going to start a poll to determine the board prospect rankings after development camp ends?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Sure, why not. Last time was fun. I can do it again but if anybody else wants to create the polls feel free to do it. :)

If one of us were to start the polls, there's a higher chance we would likely be harassed for leaving out random mid-level prospects like Reto Suri or Matt Marshall. A mod would be the best option to start the threads as you could just smite them with the ban of mod (hand of god?) if they complain about insignificant prospects not being available for selection :laugh:.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If one of us were to start the polls, there's a higher chance we would likely be harassed for leaving out random mid-level prospects like Reto Suri or Matt Marshall. A mod would be the best option to start the threads as you could just smite them with the ban of mod (hand of god?) if they complain about insignificant prospects not being available for selection :laugh:.

3G6cLwm.jpg

But seriously, we should probably decide on the criteria beforehand. How do we define "prospects" (age, NHL games played)? Are we ranking based on potential? Or NHL-readiness? Looks?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
3G6cLwm.jpg

But seriously, we should probably decide on the criteria beforehand. How do we define "prospects" (age, NHL games played)? Are we ranking based on potential? Or NHL-readiness? Looks?

I would use the HF rules, but would include Brett Connolly, because he is a prospect in my eyes and in his role within the organization.

Imo potential first, but included NHL readiness, because it means a player is pretty sure to come relaitvly close to his potential.

Any updates from camp? From yesterday or today?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
"[Nikita Kucherov's] game took a huge step," Murray said. "He's committed to working hard on the ice and on his conditioning."

Credit Rouyn-Noranda coach Andre Tourigny, Kucherov said: "He talked with me a lot. He showed me how Tampa Bay played in the defensive zone, the forecheck and backcheck."

Kucherov also picked Tourigny's brain after games and practices. They studied video. Kucherov sent text messages to his coach whenever he had questions.
Kucherov stepped up in the classroom as well, studying English three hours a day five days a week over three months, he said.

"That he picked it up in one year is pretty impressive," said fellow Lightning prospect Tanner Richard. "It just goes to show you he's willing to learn, to adapt to everything, not just hockey."
There also is that newfound appreciation for defense.

"Oh, yes," Kucherov said when asked if he gets the same thrill from playing defense as scoring a goal.

"If you do some good positioning in the defensive zone and take a puck away from another player, you feel great."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...t-kucherov-likes-all-facets-of-hockey/2130339

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad