Injury Report: 2013-2014 Uber Injury Updates (Latest news in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If anyone could get back sooner from an ACL, it's Dupes. If we go deep in the playoffs this year, it's possible he could get some games in.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If anyone could get back sooner from an ACL, it's Dupes. If we deep in the playoffs this year, it's possible he could get some games in.

If its even questionable if he'll be back, I hope we don't go in with a clear cut spot for him. He'd need to come back, rehab and prove he can play well enough to displace somebody. His position needs to be filled.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
That's a huge blow. Dupuis playing on the third line would have been a huge asset come playoffs if somebody had managed to displace him.

The only bright side I see is that with his cap hit on LTIR Shero will have the space to make a more significant move at the deadline without necessarily needing to send back salary.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
Well surprisingly this years deadline is shaping up alot like last years. I thought for sure there wouldn't be much in moves thanks to the lack of cap room which now appears to be a non-issue thanks to all of the injuries.

Lets hope we don't trade for an impending UFA like a Vanek and have DB throw him on defense or something:p:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the two week waiting period is for either:

1) swelling to go down

or

2) the MCL is damaged but will heal on its own, and they are waiting on that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If its even questionable if he'll be back, I hope we don't go in with a clear cut spot for him. He'd need to come back, rehab and prove he can play well enough to displace somebody. His position needs to be filled.

For sure. I think a hockey trade is all but certain at this point. Plenty of options out there Shero could explore. Lot of teams looking for D-men.

I just meant I could see him somehow making it back at some point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For sure. I think a hockey trade is all but certain at this point. Plenty of options out there Shero could explore. Lot of teams looking for D-men.

I just meant I could see him somehow making it back at some point.

And if he can be a surprise 3rd/4th line upgrade, that would be awesome.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
Anyone else kind of wishing Jeffrey wasn't waived? I'd have been curious to see if he could step onto one of these lines and provide offense. He seemed to have some ability when he was given a chance to play a larger role.

penguins2946*

****, I thought it was an MCL tear, which is at least not as bad. A couple things:

1. Malkin tore his ACL and MCL in 2011 in February, and would have been back in May. Granted, it wouldn't have been fully healed, but I wouldn't be surprised for Dupuis to be back in mid-April. His season is done though. The timeframe is 4-6 months, so April isn't out of the realm of possibility.

2. This guarantees that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis will never exist again. Bennett will either take that role full time or they'll trade for someone who can. Dupuis's entire game is based on his speed, and this will be a big blow to that. Dupuis will be too rusty when he may come back (2nd round of playoffs), so he won't be put on the top line.

3. Shero WILL trade for at least 1 top-9 winger now, maybe 2 (especially considering Bennett's injury issues). Dupuis's open cap space really loosens the constriction on Shero, and with a plethora of top-9 wingers available, something will happen. McGinn and Grabner would be my choices, and run a top-9 of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
McGinn-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Grabner

Put Dupuis on the 4th line with Vitale and Megna after he comes back.

penguins2946*

Anyone else kind of wishing Jeffrey wasn't waived? I'd have been curious to see if he could step onto one of these lines and provide offense. He seemed to have some ability when he was given a chance to play a larger role.

No he sucks. He has gotten 1 assist in 7 games since being waived. He's not a good hockey player.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
****, I thought it was an MCL tear, which is at least not as bad. A couple things:

1. Malkin tore his ACL and MCL in 2011 in February, and would have been back in May. Granted, it wouldn't have been fully healed, but I wouldn't be surprised for Dupuis to be back in mid-April. His season is done though. The timeframe is 4-6 months, so April isn't out of the realm of possibility.

2. This guarantees that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis will never exist again. Bennett will either take that role full time or they'll trade for someone who can. Dupuis's entire game is based on his speed, and this will be a big blow to that. Dupuis will be too rusty when he may come back (2nd round of playoffs), so he won't be put on the top line.

3. Shero WILL trade for at least 1 top-9 winger now, maybe 2 (especially considering Bennett's injury issues). Dupuis's open cap space really loosens the constriction on Shero, and with a plethora of top-9 wingers available, something will happen. McGinn and Grabner would be my choices, and run a top-9 of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
McGinn-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Grabner

Put Dupuis on the 4th line with Vitale and Megna after he comes back.

you're underestimating one Mr. Disco Dan Bylsma. even if Dupuis can't skate, he'll be glued to Crosby's hip as long as he's healthy enough to play.

penguins2946*

you're underestimating one Mr. Disco Dan Bylsma. even if Dupuis can't skate, he'll be glued to Crosby's hip as long as he's healthy enough to play.

That would be something an HF board poster would do just to piss of Pens fans as a joke. Bylsma may make some dumb choices, but I would bet a ton of money that the KCD line will never exist again with Bennett in the lineup. Hell, I think a Kunitz-Crosby-Megna line is more possible as well.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This is a major blessing in disguise. Again, Duper being hurt sucks. He's a GREAT dude and has been a wonderful player for many years now. The issues we've discussed for some time, but this forces Dan and Ray to make changes.

We have so much talent along the blue line and in the AHL/Juniors that not making at least one impact trade (should probably be 2) would be asinine to say the least.

We can't afford to wait for the deadline. Get on the phones and start talking with teams in need of D help who can offer top 6 W's. I'd discuss anyone other than Maatta at this point.

We have more cap flexibility now and if we would include a Niskanen or Orpik could afford to take on a pretty nice sized contract.

Now is the time to get Sid a serious long term answer at RW (just like we did with Neal). Eberle, Wheeler, Patches should all be seriously looked at. Maybe even ROR.

A guy like McGinn would be a wonderful fit on the 3rd line with Sutter and Megna.

So like a Kunitz-Crosby-Eberel/Wheeler/Patches
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
McGinn-Sutter-Megna
Sill-Vitale-Adams

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well this sucks. A lot.

I was one of the biggest advocates for getting Duper off of Sid's line, and I don't believe that this is "a blessing in disguise" in any way, shape or form.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well this sucks. A lot.

I was one of the biggest advocates for getting Duper off of Sid's line, and I don't believe that this is "a blessing in disguise" in any way, shape or form.

It is if it gets hungry hockey players who have shown they can hang in the NHL level on the ice and obviously Duper off Sids line.

Outside of a few nuts, nobody is happy to see Dupes go down with a major injury like that. He's a very likable guy. He just isn't used properly and he never would have had he stayed healthy which hurts this hockey team.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Now we're going to need to bring in a 1st liner and 3rd liner at the deadline.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad