GDT: 2013-2014 Avs Training Camp & Preseason Part II

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Still think he is better than Giguere, but we'll see. Giggy was pretty good last year when needed.

I think Avs have gotten a lot out of Giguere. But you have to manage the number of games he plays carefully and I would be a liar if I said I didn't have a nagging feeling that another year and smaller pads might end up making him stop being able to perform decently at this level.

Let's hope he's got another 25-30 games in him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting that Roy said that if Malone doesn't make the team next year, they'll trade him. Don't think we'd ever hear something like that from the last regime.

Not a chance in hell would they ever say something like that aloud. Like somehow the whole operation would come crashing down if they found out any detail whatsoever about what they were inclined to do.

So refreshing that all that unnecessary secrecy is gone. A lot of good it did too since they've more or less sucked for the better part of a decade.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
That will push Malone to be better if he wants to be with the Avs. If he doesn't then you know where his heart is.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I didn't mean that he didn't have heart, but you'll know how much he wants it if he comes to camp next year and doesn't make it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Malone will make it at some point this season when Malkin gets moved, or promoted due to injuries prior to being moved.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Malone will definitely see time with the Avs this year. It's pretty obvious that if any of our forwards get hurt he's going to be the one who gets called up.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I didn't mean that he didn't have heart, but you'll know how much he wants it if he comes to camp next year and doesn't make it.

If he comes next year and doesn't make it, it's not necessarily his fault. Which is what Roy is saying. If there's no spot for him, there definitely is elsewhere in the league so they'll give him a chance elsewhere.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If he comes next year and doesn't make it, it's not necessarily his fault. Which is what Roy is saying. If there's no spot for him, there definitely is elsewhere in the league so they'll give him a chance elsewhere.

I don't think that is true. Roy is just saying they will explore those options and won't hold him back. That is not a guarantee that there will be openings.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Awesome Duchene interview.

Two quotes I found interesting:
For him, he wants to be good and he puts the effort in. I think he just needs to feel comfortable and confident now. And once he feels that comfort and confidence, I think he’ll thrive. I can see it in him; he’s has a different demeanor in him that he never has and it’s really fun to watch. If he lives up to his potential, he could be challenging for the Norris Trophy – that’s the type of talent he has.
-Talking about EJ

I work with a sports psychologist quite a bit and I think every body should have one. It doesn’t matter how mentally strong you think you are, everyone can benefit. The biggest thing we worked on – because I was in shambles when we first met – he told me “you need to forgive yourself.”
He sure makes it sound like he had a tough go there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No kidding. I had to post it somewhere too. Full of interesting quotes.

He wants things to be real simple and broken down so that, as a team, we’re solid. He wants us to be an offensive team, which is exciting. But at the same time, he talks about the Penguins in the early 90’s when they won the back-to-back Stanley Cups. He said they were so good on their own end, and as soon as they got the puck, they were gone – they were on offense. That’s the team we want to be. That’s what all of us want to be; I think every centerman here wants to be a 200-foot centerman, every winger wants to be the same thing, and every D-man wants to be a two-way defenseman. The only way to do that is to be really strong on your own end and then once you get the puck, you take off and go.

On the type of team they are going to be, Landy said something similar to this in the interview on Dater's blog.

Patrick is an intense guy and I’ve listened to all of his press conferences – trying to get to know his personality and figure out what he is looking for. I love his excitement and his passion about our team – it’s really great. You know, a lot of coaches won’t let on how excited they are about their team, but I think that needs to happen because when a player watches a video and the coach is happy with what they are doing, it doesn’t give the player the right to let up and say, “Oh, okay, I’m good.” But it makes you say, “Okay, he’s happy with this; I will keep going and doing it this way and he’ll be happy with me.” You’ve got to know what your coach wants and I think Patrick is going to be really good at that.

More on Roy and I'm impressed he listens to the pressers.

It was after my third season that I realized that I needed a new mental approach. Like I said, I was in shambles. I couldn’t look myself in the mirror at times. It was tough. I blamed myself first for everything that went wrong.

Wow

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One thing I found weird is he mentioned PAP playing with him and ROR. The article was published today so is Roy changing hi mind and putting PAP back with Duchene?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
One thing I found weird is he mentioned PAP playing with him and ROR. The article was published today so is Roy changing hi mind and putting PAP back with Duchene?

Good question. I imagine the interview was from a bit back, it just happened to be published after the line change.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I've talked to Malone a few times he likes being an Avalanche and was proud to have been drafted by them. The comment by Roy was meant to motivate Malone this year.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

It reads like it was from a few weeks back, he talks about having a kid on his wing with O'Reilly on the other, very past tense.

Great read and a great find, thanks.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sound slike Matty needed some of that good ole life coaching from papa O'Reilly. Nobody should ever question Mattys commitment to this team. EVER. Why do I get the feeling that Erik Johnson is similiar to Matt in terms of "not letting things go" I wonder if Erik Johnson beats himself up internally the way Matt describes the way he used to

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Sound slike Matty needed some of that good ole life coaching from papa O'Reilly. Nobody should ever question Mattys commitment to this team. EVER. Why do I get the feeling that Erik Johnson is similiar to Matt in terms of "not letting things go" I wonder if Erik Johnson beats himself up internally the way Matt describes the way he used to

After being traded to the Avs he mentioned in an interview that he puts more pressure on himself than anyone else ever does, so no doubt he does.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I cannot wait to see EJ play under Roy. I get the feeling we will finally see a full season top tier D man that we've been desiring him to be for so long.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I can't believe the Avs are entering the season with a defense of:

Hejda - Johnson
Benoit - Barrie
Holden - Sarich
Hunwick - Guenin
IR: Wilson

Only 3 of those 9 are legitimate NHL players. Wouldn't surprise me the least bit if Varlamov doesn't return from Russia after the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad