2012 first round re-draft?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I disagree, I consider Lindholm, Slavin (most underrated d-man in the league), and Parayko to be flat out better d-men, then Forsberg as the best and only real impact forward in the draft is deserving of being in the top 5. Then I wouldn't criticize anyone who wanted Murray in the top 5 his AHL and NHL numbers are crazy good and he won two Stanley Cups. Trouba deserves consideration for being top 5, but could just as easily be top 6, I don't think anyone should have him lower than top 6 though he seems to be the 4th best d-man at present and I don't think any forward in this draft other than Forsberg should really be pushing him down the pecking order.

I understand why no one is voting for Nikita Gusev, but I have a funny feeling when he finally does come over and this poll is re-done he will start creeping into peoples top 30 lists.

The numbers don't agree with the bold. There are some numbers where Trouba comes out on top of the four. p/60 at evens is one of them, points per game is another (Trouba at 0.55 this season even though he gets less PP time than Lindholm and Parayko). Shots/60 he's tied with Parayko at evens. PDO (luck) also favors Trouba (he's been the unluckiest). It's interesting looking at the numbers. All 4 of them look pretty close on paper. Slavin gets a bit more of a defensive push, Lindholm is tops on possession, Parayko produces the most on the PP.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
See some saying this was a weak draft...

Honestly, before even assembling my list, seems like it was VERY strong for defenseman (as many predicted going into the draft)

1. Filip Forsberg
2. Matt Murray
3. Hampus Lindholm
4. Alex Galchenyuk
5. Jacob Trouba
6. Colton Parayko
7. Jaccob Slavin
8. Morgan Rielly
9. Cody Ceci
10. Damon Severson
11. Matt Dumba
12. Frederik Andersen
13. Tomas Hertl
14. Shayne Gostisbehere
15. Brady Skjei
16. Tanner Pearson
17. Teuvo Teravainen
18. Andrei Vasilevsky
19. Radek Faksa
20. Olli Maata
21. Ryan Murray
22. Mike Matheson
23. Mikhail Grigorenko
24. Chris Tierney
25. Jimmy Vesey
26. Zemgus Girgensons
27.Tom Wilson
28. Colton Sissons
29. Jake McCabe
30. Pontus Aberg

Pretty arbitrary. Hard to evaluate stuff like this just 5 years after, but gave it a shot. Giuve a heads up if I have any glaring omissions.

Zero Sabres fans would take Girgensons over McCabe. None.

Jake should be around 18-22 in these lists.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
There's no way around it, this was a very weak draft. Sure, there is some solid D depth, but the lack of high end talent is staggering. You basically have 1 first line forward, a couple top-pairing dmen, and a #1 goalie.

Fair about the lack of HIGH END talent, but depth in a draft is good. 5 years later you have 1-2 round sof players who are now regular NHLers, solid prospects still, or close.

Not aton of 1st pairing D, but a ton of top 4 D and with D often taking longer to develop, a lot of these dmen will makeup the top 60 in the league within 3 years imo.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Zero Sabres fans would take Girgensons over McCabe. None.

Jake should be around 18-22 in these lists.

Fair. Hard to gauge as I can really go off of what I hear from posters on here and the few times I can watch McCabe/Girgensons a year. McCabe belongs above ZG maybe but 18-22 might be a bit lofty with all the D depth in this draft. Really most of this round the players are so close. The difference between 10 and 25 on most people's lists is wildly close.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Him and Matt Murray are honourable mentions.

Better luck next year, Matt. Maybe if you post a 3rd straight season with elite numbers in the regular season and playoffs culminating in a Cup win, you can make TheTechNoir's vaunted Top 20 of the 2012 Draft list.

But probably not.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Him and Matt Murray are honourable mentions.

Oh so you were making an intentionally terrible list? You have Griffith, Grigorenko, and Yakupov above Jaccob Slavin?

Its ok to just admit you don't know what you are talking about. I mean you have Teravainen at 6th, there is not one Hurricane fan who would take TT over Slavin.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Slavin is a tier below the top guys here, the fact that people want to put him there may make him one of the most overrated players in the league. He could be a true #1D someday soon, but there are 3 other D who are already there.

I'd love to know what your definition of a #1D is.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Slavin suffers (benefits?) from Josi disease. Plays for a small market team with no real animosity or scrutiny towards them and not a lot of coverage, shows some promise and gets overrated as a result. To some extent the same is true for Parayko, although i think Parayko has been showcased on bigger stages and done well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00