2012-2013 Phoenix Coyotes Roster

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't blame the staff for missing Conacher. He has really been a surprise but its not like we were the only one to overlook him. There are tons of little guys that can skate and score that just don't translate into the NHL game. A lot of times its just like winning the lottery.

I'm glad Summers is going to get some time. He looked solid last year. I think Rundblad has made big strides since last year and hope he can let year really be a growing year for him and not get frustrated if he spends some time in the AHL or the bench

Yeah, we already took chances on Miele and Shinniman, who I would've guessed had better chances than Conacher. Who can predict these things? Will Geaudreau or Grimaldi turn out to be nhlers? 90% no.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Who can predict these things? Will Geaudreau or Grimaldi turn out to be nhlers? 90% no.

That's why you pay scouts to do their jobs. More than 90% of all players, regardless of size, don't turn out to be NHLers. It's not really an excuse. I don't buy that finding a player like Conacher is dumb luck, anymore than I do drafting someone like Yandle. A gamble? Sure, but an informed one. 80 pts, including 39 goals, in 75 games (his first full AHL year) is not exactly flying under the radar.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's why you pay scouts to do their jobs. More than 90% of all players, regardless of size, don't turn out to be NHLers. It's not really an excuse. I don't buy that finding a player like Conacher is dumb luck, anymore than I do drafting someone like Yandle. A gamble? Sure, but an informed one. 80 pts, including 39 goals, in 75 games (his first full AHL year) is not exactly flying under the radar.

Shinnimin and Miele looked good too.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I can't believe anyone can get upset with the team for missing one player. It's going to happen. If you took a look at our roster, lots of GMs would kick themselves for missing out on some of these players who could have been had for almost nothing:

-Chipchura
-Korpikoski
-Nick Johnson
-Vermette
-Vrbata
-Klesla
-Michalek
-Derek Morris (only took a 4th from Boston)
-Schlemko (undrafted)
-Mike Smith

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So much of it is luck and circumstances. That is why you should always maximize your number of draft picks and always choose the "best player available" according to your team scouts.

The league is littered with players that were overlooked to become late round steals, players that cleared waivers only to become solid NHLers, etc.

You see how important the system is in Phoenix. Conacher might not make any impact at all playing on our roster in Tippetts system. In TB he fits perfectly.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I posted this in the "your teams core players" thread on the main boards. What do you guys think of what I consider our core?

:coyotes:

Doan:
The heart and soul of our team. He will be retiring in the near future but he is still the core of our team chemistry at least.

Boedker:
Young speedy forward that is getting more and more confident with each shift he plays. I see him as a large part of the future of the Coyotes offense.

Hanzal:
Big centerman that was drafted by Phoenix and will remain part of the core moving forward. He is most notable for his defensive role against opposing teams top players.

Yandle:
Despite all of the trade talk, this is a no brainer. Kid was drafted by Phoenix and he bleeds coyote red. Great locker room guy and puts up respectable numbers from the blue line.

OEL:
Shaping up to be one of the best defense men in the NHL. OEL is great in all zones of the rink. He will be our clear-cut #1 D-man for many years to come.

HM: Smith

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I just noticed Morris is shooting a lot more this season, I always assumed he was the stay at home role with OEL and Yandle more of the offensive guys, but Morris already has 22 shots in 10 games, as compared to 60-80 shots per season.

Any particular reason for this, is he used in a more offensive role now?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I just noticed Morris is shooting a lot more this season, I always assumed he was the stay at home role with OEL and Yandle more of the offensive guys, but Morris already has 22 shots in 10 games, as compared to 60-80 shots per season.

Any particular reason for this, is he used in a more offensive role now?

Morris was always expected to provide offense since early in his career, but for some reason always left people wanting more. Tippett's system and our lack of offensive talent encourage d-men to jump in the offense. His losing 20 lbs increased his quickness as well.

Morris is playing exactly like I always hoped he would: gritty, tough play, a booming shot, and finally, points.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Morris was always expected to provide offense since early in his career, but for some reason always left people wanting more. Tippett's system and our lack of offensive talent encourage d-men to jump in the offense. His losing 20 lbs increased his quickness as well.

Morris is playing exactly like I always hoped he would: gritty, tough play, a booming shot, and finally, points.

Well I know he was early in his career, but he hasn't produced for a long time so I figured he got use to a different role. Good to see him doing well though.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not sure where to put this but does anyone know if the Coyotes practices are open to the public and if so, what time? Thanks.

I doubt they would be open to the public in the regular season. I mean, it's not like they are really practicing that much anyways. With the close proximity of games this year, I can't imagine them having much practices in the first place.

I bet if you emailed the Coyotes though, someone would respond back to you, and I'm sure they would say "check back to phoenixcoyotes.com for any release of upcoming practices that will be open to the public".

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well I know he was early in his career, but he hasn't produced for a long time so I figured he got use to a different role. Good to see him doing well though.

His shot is something that I wouldn't want to get in the way of. I mean hell, the other night against the Hawks, he was set up for a massive one timer, and he broke his stick in half. I'd like to see how fast his shot is. I know during the ASG festivities they have the hardest shot. I wouldn't say it's the fastest by any means, but I'm sure he could beat out quite a few people there.

RafaNadal

Jul 8, 2011
Schlemko is on IR. I count 23 players with Rundblad as the last.

Yes, i know. But why carry 8 d, no need for 2 d to sit in the pressbox, unless there are some new injuries that isnt official yet.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Personally, I'd be giving Rundblad a lot of looks because I'm a little frustrated with Yandle.

Yes. Stone has not impressed me either. With Schlemko out, I think there's definitely a spot to steal on D.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Really? I think Stone has been fantastic. Not offensively, but I've liked what he's shown apart from offense.

He started off looking pretty good, but he looked over-matched over the past 3 games.

Eh, what do I know. I probably said the same thing during Schlemko's entire first season.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Rundblad recalled? New injuries? Trade? No one seems to be sent the other way.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=40&f_team_id=310

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415885

Showcasing him for an O'Reilly trade? I wouldn't doubt that Maloney had a chat with the Avs GM in Denver on Monday. The article above says they're shopping him to Eastern teams for a roster player and top prospect. Rundblad would constitute a top prospect. I'm not sure what moveable roster players we have, that Colorado would covet. And as far as being in the West, it's hard to say where this team will be next year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Coyotes don't have the money to sign ROR unless they trade salary away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad