2006 Olympic Rosters(non-Canada)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll take a stab at the U.S. roster:

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Roenick-Weight-Cole
Drury-Gomez-Parrish
Rolston-Legwand-Halpern

Leetch-Miller
Gill-Tanabe
Martin-Rafalski
Leopold-Mara

DiPietro
Esche
Conklin
It's not big shockers but I'm a little surprised not to see Jason Blake & Mike Knuble on your team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
big_steve said:
It's not big shockers but I'm a little surprised not to see Jason Blake & Mike Knuble on your team.

Yeah, I could see both on the team. I'll see if I can fit them in.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Right now Russia scares me more than the Czech Republic. Khabibulin and Nabokov can easily match Brodeur and Luongo, and they've got some real talent up front. It's the defense that could potentially cost them a birth in the finals, but with the goaltending in the shape that it is for them, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

It's too bad Sweden can't find goaltending. Their forward core is downright scary on paper. (By the way, I think Mikael Renberg is a safe bet for making the team.)

My top 5:

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Republic
4. Sweden
5. Finland

Looks like it's going to be a long tournament for the US. Yeesh.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garbs said:
Right now Russia scares me more than the Czech Republic. Khabibulin and Nabokov can easily match Brodeur and Luongo, and they've got some real talent up front. It's the defense that could potentially cost them a birth in the finals, but with the goaltending in the shape that it is for them, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

It's too bad Sweden can't find goaltending. Their forward core is downright scary on paper. (By the way, I think Mikael Renberg is a safe bet for making the team.)

My top 5:

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Republic
4. Sweden
5. Finland

Looks like it's going to be a long tournament for the US. Yeesh.

I'll give you Canada, Russia, and the Czechs, but there is NO way the U.S. behind Finland or Sweden.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll give you Canada, Russia, and the Czechs, but there is NO way the U.S. behind Finland or Sweden.
I'd be willing to say behind Finland, but not Sweden. a trio of Kiprusoff, Toskala, and Lehtonen could steal the Fins a few games, and they have a solid enough crop of skaters to be competitive within a system.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Nemesis said:
I'd be willing to say behind Finland, but not Sweden. a trio of Kiprusoff, Toskala, and Lehtonen could steal the Fins a few games, and they have a solid enough crop of skaters to be competitive within a system.

I still don't see how that puts the Finns ahead of the U.S.

espo*

Why would'nt Sweden be able to finish ahead of the U.S and other teams?.They've got a stronger defense on paper,their new goalie seems seems to be able to handle the job in nets and they have fine talent at forwards. They could medal without question.IF..........they get over the choke syndrome..................and that has to happen sooner or later of course.They have the talent to medal no problem

joe_shannon_1983*

The U.S.A. is wrote off every tournament, and these Olympics will be no different. The thing is however, watch them be right in the thick of things again.

Does the U.S.A. have holes? Sure. But so does every country besides Canada, and to a lesser extent, the Czech Republic.

Sweden does not have steady goaltending, and always choke in big games.

Russia never play with any kind of passion, and always lose to the U.S.A. in big games in best-on-best tournaments.

Finland is in my opinion a mediocre team with a lack of top-end talent that over-achieved at the World Cup.

Slovakia has no defense other than Chara and no goaltending.

Germany does not have the talent to be considered a contender.

Switzerland, Italy, Kazahkstan, and Latvia are all in for gigantic beatings in the Round Robin portion of the tournament.

I see the U.S.A. as possibly the favourite for the Bronze Medal going into the tournament. They are not the 3rd best team on paper, but they always seem to gel together and have more chemistry than most teams, which is why they always seem to beat teams like Russia and etc.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Why would'nt Sweden be able to finish ahead of the U.S and other teams?.They've got a stronger defense on paper,their new goalie seems seems to be able to handle the job in nets and they have fine talent at forwards. They could medal without question.IF..........they get over the choke syndrome..................and that has to happen sooner or later of course.They have the talent to medal no problem

Of course they have the talent to medal, each of the top six countries do. The question is, what kind of team shows up? In the World Championships, a Swedish team that had many of the components that will make up the Olympic squad was blown out by a U.S. squad that many people discounted. You just never know what will happen at these types of tournaments.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Of course they have the talent to medal, each of the top six countries do. The question is, what kind of team shows up? In the World Championships, a Swedish team that had many of the components that will make up the Olympic squad was blown out by a U.S. squad that many people discounted. You just never know what will happen at these types of tournaments.
Yeah,of course you're right.But to me you just can't discount them and write them off anymore then people here seem to be writing the U.S team off because of paper talent.Some seem to be writing off Sweden due to past history of choking,it's valid i agree but it has to change sometime,why not this olympics?They did lose that game to the U.S but so what? they actually played real well that tournament except for that game and that happens a lot in the world's for some reason.Top team have stinker games.....seen it a thousand times.

I don't think we can assume they'll finish 6th or something because a puck bounced off Salo's mask or they were taken apart by the U.S in Austria last world's.It's like saying the U.S. has absolutely no chance of medaling because on paper their defense looks less then awe inspiring.........maybe the defense will be just fine......they are all NHL players not pee-wee d-men from Fairbanks.And on paper (here is this paper thing again) I think Sweden does indeed have more paper talent then the U.S,Slovakia,and Finland while having a better defense then Russia and overall from top to bottom only falling behind the Czechs and Canada as far as talent from goaltending out.At least that's how i see it..............i don't see how people think they will DEFINATLY finish behind the U.S in this tournament? Hmmm..................way too optimistic too early imo.

joe_shannon_1983*

MykeAbner said:
Who's going to be on the Italian team?

I am not sure. Probably some pretty bad players. Italy is ranked 18th in the IIHF World Rankings, behind such countries as Denmark, Slovenia, and Norway, and only one spot ahead of Japan. They only got into the tournament due to being the host country.

I am looking forward to seeing Italy open the tournament vs. Canada. I am hoping to see a colossal beating handed to the Italians, something along the lines of 12-0 or 14-0.

Canada should really try to beat them badly because it is always possible that Canada finds itself in a tie-breaker for 1st place in their group, and I am sure that any possible tie-breaker to decide the winner of their group will relate to goal differential.

And getting 1st place in the group will be pivotal for Canada, because that means they will get to play Slovakia in the first round of the single-game elimination portion, rather than Russia, Sweden, or the U.S.A., all countries who could definitely beat Canada.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
a Swedish team that had many of the components that will make up the Olympic squad was blown out by a U.S.

Surely you're not talking about the same Swedish team that didn't have Sundin, Forsberg, and Naslund?

The U.S.A. is wrote off every tournament, and these Olympics will be no different. The thing is however, watch them be right in the thick of things again.

Yeah, I can definitely see how losing in the quarterfinals at the last WHC, and placing 4th at the World Cup translates into 'right in the thick of things'.

They're not better than Canada, Russia, or the Czech Republic. That isn't even debatable. Finland beat the US at the World Cup, and they tied at the WHC (With both teams having a depleted lineup). They have better goaltending, and could possibly beat any country in chemistry. Notch goes to Finland. You say Sweden doesn't have goaltending? Last time I checked the US doesn't have Vezina candidates in their goal either. Sweden has more capable forwards than the US, and a better defense. If Naslund, Alfredsson, Forsberg, Sundin, and all the supporting cast (Zetterberg, Modin, Sedins) show up, I don't think you can beat them. Their 2nd and 3rd lines will be better than the USA's 1st.

Finland has a mediocre defense, but their goaltending more than makes up for it. Sweden has shaky goaltending, but their forwards could blow any team out of the water. Both countries' positives greatly outweigh their negatives. Then you have the US, who has average goaltending, average defense, and average forwards. Let's not even get into their piss poor leadership. There's nothing great about their lineup. Nothing that can steal them a game. Nothing that puts them over the top. My ranking still stands.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Republic
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. USA

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
I'm just currently wondering without Chelios or Hatcher, who is gonna be the U.S. Captain. We all know that Modano and Leetch are probably the two best leaders on the team, but they play some of their worst hockey with the C on their jersey. Doug Weight maybe? I don't know who the captain will be for the team(the one Rabid Ranger posted).

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
first of all, the Czech Republic is simply better than Canada when the game is played on the ice.

second of all, half of Russia will be loaded with young hungry and deadly scorers, and its net will be kept by a top class goalie whether its Khabibulin or Nabokov.

finally, Canada won't have the momentum nor the passion to win the Olympics so far from its fans

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
J.Jokinen - Jokinen - T.Ruutu
Hentunen - N.Kapanen - S.Kapanen
Nieminen - Nokelainen - J.Ruutu
(Hagman)

Salo - Timonen
Pitkänen - Väänänen
Numminen - Karalahti

(Lydman)

Lehtonen
Toskala

(Norrena)
Finland:

F
Tuomo Ruutu
Saku Koivu
Jere Lehtinen
Sami Kapanen
Jarkko Ruutu
Ville Nieminen
Petteri Nokelainen
Olli Jokinen
Niklas Hagman
Niko Kapanen
Jukka Hentunen
Jussi Jokinen
Teemu Selänne

D
Ossi Väänänen
Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen
Sami Salo
Jere Karalahti
Joni Pitkänen
Toni Lydman

GK
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala
Fredrik Norrena

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garbs said:
Surely you're not talking about the same Swedish team that didn't have Sundin, Forsberg, and Naslund?

Yeah, I can definitely see how losing in the quarterfinals at the last WHC, and placing 4th at the World Cup translates into 'right in the thick of things'.

They're not better than Canada, Russia, or the Czech Republic. That isn't even debatable. Finland beat the US at the World Cup, and they tied at the WHC (With both teams having a depleted lineup). They have better goaltending, and could possibly beat any country in chemistry. Notch goes to Finland. You say Sweden doesn't have goaltending? Last time I checked the US doesn't have Vezina candidates in their goal either. Sweden has more capable forwards than the US, and a better defense. If Naslund, Alfredsson, Forsberg, Sundin, and all the supporting cast (Zetterberg, Modin, Sedins) show up, I don't think you can beat them. Their 2nd and 3rd lines will be better than the USA's 1st.

Finland has a mediocre defense, but their goaltending more than makes up for it. Sweden has shaky goaltending, but their forwards could blow any team out of the water. Both countries' positives greatly outweigh their negatives. Then you have the US, who has average goaltending, average defense, and average forwards. Let's not even get into their piss poor leadership. There's nothing great about their lineup. Nothing that can steal them a game. Nothing that puts them over the top. My ranking still stands.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Republic
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. USA

For someone who is so adamant that the U.S. will be cannon fodder you use the words could, possibly, and if quite a bit to describe the potential abilities of countries like Finland and Sweden. While I don't think the U.S. will have a "great" line-up at the Olympics, I don't see Sweden, Finland, or Slovakia having great line-ups either. I guess we'll just have to see how the piss-poor U.S. leadership responds and is able to motivate the troops. Personally, I think we will be in the thick of things, and to suggest otherwise is ignorant, or oddly spiteful.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
big_steve said:
I'm just currently wondering without Chelios or Hatcher, who is gonna be the U.S. Captain. We all know that Modano and Leetch are probably the two best leaders on the team, but they play some of their worst hockey with the C on their jersey. Doug Weight maybe? I don't know who the captain will be for the team(the one Rabid Ranger posted).

Disagree. Leetch played some of his best hockey while captain of the U.S. squad that won the World Cup in 1996. He didn't play well with the "C" when he was with the Rangers, but that was a difficult situation for anyone to play in.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
mattihp said:
Finland:

F
Tuomo Ruutu
Saku Koivu
Jere Lehtinen
Sami Kapanen
Jarkko Ruutu
Ville Nieminen
Petteri Nokelainen
Olli Jokinen
Niklas Hagman
Niko Kapanen
Jukka Hentunen
Jussi Jokinen
Teemu Selänne

D
Ossi Väänänen
Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen
Sami Salo
Jere Karalahti
Joni Pitkänen
Toni Lydman

GK
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala
Fredrik Norrena

No Kiprusoff ? Nokelainen, J.Jokinen and Hagman but no Peltonen ? And don't you think Numminen is a little old ?

espo*

big_steve said:
yes,Weight........i've called for it before.

espo*

roshiajin said:
first of all, the Czech Republic is simply better than Canada when the game is played on the ice.

second of all, half of Russia will be loaded with young hungry and deadly scorers, and its net will be kept by a top class goalie whether its Khabibulin or Nabokov.

finally, Canada won't have the momentum nor the passion to win the Olympics so far from its fans
yeah.......................you're bang on,just like at salt lake eh?

Get ready to get dusted pal.It ain't far away either.

espo*

mattihp said:
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
J.Jokinen - Jokinen - T.Ruutu
Hentunen - N.Kapanen - S.Kapanen
Nieminen - Nokelainen - J.Ruutu
(Hagman)

Salo - Timonen
Pitkänen - Väänänen
Numminen - Karalahti

(Lydman)

Lehtonen
Toskala

(Norrena)
Finland:

F
Tuomo Ruutu
Saku Koivu
Jere Lehtinen
Sami Kapanen
Jarkko Ruutu
Ville Nieminen
Petteri Nokelainen
Olli Jokinen
Niklas Hagman
Niko Kapanen
Jukka Hentunen
Jussi Jokinen
Teemu Selänne

D
Ossi Väänänen
Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen
Sami Salo
Jere Karalahti
Joni Pitkänen
Toni Lydman

GK
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala
Fredrik Norrena
i heard nurminen got hurt and his career may be over................his knees i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad