OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i live in calgay and the amount of non fans jumping on the flames bandwagon was sickening. im not even exaggerating that the flames sold more jerseys in rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs then they did 10 years prior combined. myself i bought a TB jersey off a bargain rack at jersey city. watching the flames lose that last game was like a blessing from jesus. i was at a bar and saw 100's of people looking dejected and depressed. i remember telling a dude in a brand new flames jersey that he was now a real flames fan, disappointed for eternity.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Tampa easily. I even said a piece to a reporter from CHED after the Lightning won. I was one of the only people in the bar cheering when the Lightning won and when the lady asked me why I was so happy that "Canada's team" lost, my response was, "I'm an Oilers fan, screw the Flames" Dunno if they ever aired it or not.

That being said, a lot of people in Edmonton were cheering for Calgary. It was sickening to see all those stupid Flames flags on their cars.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
FWIW, I think a lot of people are lying in this poll. I remember being alarmed at the number of Oiler fans cheering for the Flames. There was a lot of nonsense about cheering for the province, and some of the more fair weather fans were really getting sucked into the party down on the Red Mile. Same thing happened down in Calgary when the Oilers almost won in '06.

Nearly a decade later though there might be some shame about it.

Haha I wouldn't doubt that at all. Although, perhaps there are just more dedicated fans on this board so maybe the poll is just biased. You're definitely right though, if you asked just Oilers fans in general, casual or hardcore, the majority of them cheered for the Flames. It was sickening all the car flags.

oilfaninvan

Mar 31, 2004
van
Calgary.

I was already living in Vancouver back then, and let me tell you when you are an Oilers fan in Vancouver: 1. you hate the Canucks very quickly and more than you've ever hated the flames, and 2. You become very defensive of Alberta and the prairies as a whole.

I wouldn't say I was CHEERING for Calgary, but I kind of wanted them to win just to rub it into Canucks fans.

Also, I can't stand when sunbelt teams do THAT well. Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Dallas, Anaheim, PHX have all had on ice success and it makes me sick. Lol. Although I do hope TB and FLA survive, I just don't want them winning cups or making the finals.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It was sickening to see so many pro calgary people in this city at that time.

Bouch1337

Mar 19, 2008
Ottawa
Calgary.

I was already living in Vancouver back then, and let me tell you when you are an Oilers fan in Vancouver: 1. you hate the Canucks very quickly and more than you've ever hated the flames, and 2. You become very defensive of Alberta and the prairies as a whole.

I wouldn't say I was CHEERING for Calgary, but I kind of wanted them to win just to rub it into Canucks fans.

Also, I can't stand when sunbelt teams do THAT well. Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Dallas, Anaheim, PHX have all had on ice success and it makes me sick. Lol. Although I do hope TB and FLA survive, I just don't want them winning cups or making the finals.

off topic i guess, but the longer I'm away the more i carve out a prairie identity. I live in Ottawa not van, but the stereotypes and assumptions drive me crazy. To be fair tho it happened the other way when i did go back and visit the prairies recently.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
While the results of this poll aren't surprising, I've never felt better about my decision to cheer for you guys against Carolina after seeing the results here.

DJ EarWax

Apr 3, 2011
While the results of this poll aren't surprising, I've never felt better about my decision to cheer for you guys against Carolina after seeing the results here.
I'm too lazy to read the results on the other boards, what kind of response are you getting there?

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I'm too lazy to read the results on the other boards, what kind of response are you getting there?

This board was definitely the most lopsided (didn't include it in the Original 3 figuring it would be this way). The next most lopsided is the Leafs board in favor of the Flames, followed by the Canucks board solidly supporting the Lightning. The Habs board, though definitely in favor of the Flames, is the least lopsided.

Didn't do this on the Sens or Jets boards.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I was cheering for the Flames.

I appreciate the passion and devotion of the fan bases of all Canadian teams.

Cheered for the Oil in '06 (of course), Sens in '07 and the Canucks two years ago.

That being said I will never ever ever cheer for the Leafs ever!

Or a team GM'd/coached by Pat Quinn. :sarcasm:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I was a little kid and was admittedly caught up in the whole Canadian team business. I have since purchased a Lightning jersey and wish them nothing but success. Thanks again TBL and may I never dirty myself by cheering for Calgary again.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I voted Tampa Bay. Meant to vote for Calgary.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
I was cheering for Tampa Bay but I also wanted Iggy to win. While it would have sucked to have Calgary fans get to celebrate a cup, the fact that Jarome would have won would have made it at least somewhat bearable.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
If the Flames were playing an alien invasion force all-star team for the fate of the entire world, I would still risk dislocating a shoulder from waving my Xemu flag so vigorously.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
If the Flames were playing an alien invasion force all-star team for the fate of the entire world, I would still risk dislocating a shoulder from waving my Xemu flag so vigorously.

I remember when the Red Army team played some exhibition games against NHL teams back in the 80's. Remember, the cold war was still going strong at this time. Anyway, I cheered against the CCCP in every game except one... the Flames. I got a few funny looks and comments about it at the time but I wear it like a badge of honor to this day!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad