• Thomas Vanek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

toothlessgoon

Apr 18, 2020
Pick the player who should go #4 in a 2003 redraft

Previous poll results (player's original draft position in parenthesis)

1. Patrice Bergeron: 75.5% (#45)
2. Ryan Getzlaf: 45.3% (#19)
3. Shea Weber: 70.3% (#49)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Suter's longevity would be incredibly valuable in an actual redraft.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Suter is getting really underappreciated here. Even when they were playing together, there was people on here saying Suter was the better defender than Weber.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Agree with Suter. Norris votes 10 years in a row. His consistency at an extremely high level is matched by very few in the cap era.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Suter is getting really underappreciated here. Even when they were playing together, there was people on here saying Suter was the better defender than Weber.

Suter and Josi both had a lot better go of it without Weber than Weber did without an elite partner.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Suter and Josi both had a lot better go of it without Weber than Weber did without an elite partner.
Also played with much, much better D than Weber did when he left Nashville to be fair. I think Edmundson was the best they rolled out for Weber, guy was strapped to Mete for almost a whole season lol

Pavelski, Perry, Suter or Flower here I don't think any answer is a bad one out of those four

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Also played with much, much better D than Weber did when he left Nashville to be fair. I think Edmundson was the best they rolled out for Weber, guy was strapped to Mete for almost a whole season lol

Pavelski, Perry, Suter or Flower here I don't think any answer is a bad one out of those four

I admit I’m a Weber hater. He was an elite goal scorer from the blue line but wasn’t enough of a game changer as a defender to make up for his puck moving skills. He was Ekblad. Very good! But not so good you could just throw a guy with him and still have an elite top pair like you can with the elite of the elite d-men. His prime being before the analytics revolution, I think, has led to an oversized opinion.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I admit I’m a Weber hater. He was an elite goal scorer from the blue line but wasn’t enough of a game changer as a defender to make up for his puck moving skills. He was Ekblad. Very good! But not so good you could just throw a guy with him and still have an elite top pair like you can with the elite of the elite d-men. His prime being before the analytics revolution, I think, has led to an oversized opinion.

His analytics were actually quite good in his prime though, depending on what you want to look at. He was a weird one where there started to be a changing opinion about him due to corsi around the time of the trade to Montreal, but then as we started to move to expected goals and regression models, etc, his prime started to look much better again. I do agree that he was somewhat limited due to his skating and puck handling, so was better suited to play with another good partner who could do those things, rather than carrying a lesser partner, the way other all around defensemen like Hedman have done. Ekblad is a decent comparable, though his analytics were also really good this year.

Reactions: wintersej

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Disagree with this take if only because I think roughly 100% of players he matched up against in his prime would also disagree with this take

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This draft produced so many stars but no real superstar

Getzlaf at his peak and weber were the closest. Webers prime wasn't that long and Getzlaf only had 1 year where he was likely a top 5 player

Weber was never a top 5 player, Bergeron never top 10 really.

Lots of 60-80 pt guys who played quite long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad