Confirmed with Link: 2 years $5 million ($2.5M AAV) for Cam Talbot

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He had a 12 game losing streak. I don’t know if he was credited with the loss but the kings lost 12 straight games he played in, and he gave up 2+ goals in every one of those games.

I think it’s a whatever signing. He’s a dime a dozen goalie, but that’s what we paid him as. I’m just not going to act like, “we’ve found our starter!!!”

He lost 11 in a row, including every game in January which means he'll fit right in with the Wings.

All joking aside, he played well down the stretch which would have been enough to put the Wings into the playoffs.

It's a signing that makes sense, Husso could be moved to GR when they don't need 3 goalies, nobody is gonna claim him on waivers.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Puckpedia has Jack Campbell on the DRW for league minimum. Anyone else see or here this or is it maybe just a goof by PP?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Lyon was good, we agree on that. He was simply used too much. It would be like playing a 13th forward on your first line, a 7th d-man on your top pairing. Husso has been incapable of managing a stater's workload, combine that with the injury and Reimer being washed and we were forced to rely far too much on Lyon.

I like a combo of Talbot and Husso potentially splitting starts. If Husso gets injured again Lyon can step in and play his minutes. I'm also fine with moving one since Yzerman didn't seem interested in carrying 3 goalies when asked about the goaltending situation. I'd be fine with moving Husso but I'd imagine his contract isn't very desirable.
I'd just assume rotate Lyon/Talbot and let Husso get in shape in GR...As of now - Husso appears to be our version of Edmonton's Campbell and look what happened to him.

If this team is going anywhere - it's on Uncle Fester to get this team to start playing the game when the puck drops, have an actual 'system', and for the love of God try not resemble the coaching structure of one Jeff Blashill.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
alls I saw of Cam Talbot was the playoffs this past year and it was not pretty to say the least lol but then again it was Edmonton who matches up incredibly well against LAs system now...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lyon was good, we agree on that. He was simply used too much. It would be like playing a 13th forward on your first line, a 7th d-man on your top pairing. Husso has been incapable of managing a stater's workload, combine that with the injury and Reimer being washed and we were forced to rely far too much on Lyon.

I like a combo of Talbot and Husso potentially splitting starts. If Husso gets injured again Lyon can step in and play his minutes. I'm also fine with moving one since Yzerman didn't seem interested in carrying 3 goalies when asked about the goaltending situation. I'd be fine with moving Husso but I'd imagine his contract isn't very desirable.
Husso and 2nd for future considerations

I like this signing.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Not sure if goaltending group is final or not, but if so Talbot should be a pretty significant upgrade on Reimer and Campbell an upgrade on Hutchison. The group is better and door is wide open for Cossa/Augustine, nobody under contract beyond 2025-26. I think Talbot signing is mostly protection for Husso never getting back to the form he showed before and just after arriving in Detroit, and giving Lyon a better chance to stay healthy. I expect they'll start season with three goalies on roster, if all are healthy, and see how things shake out.

Wings have made goalies' lives pretty miserable for several years now. Talbot is a journeyman but has had stretches of being good enough in LA, Minny, Edmonton and as 30-start backup for NYR, 30-plus starts in nine seasons. Like every journeyman goalies, he's also had stretches where he has looked awful. Signing a good 2RD would go a long way to making all the goalies' lives a little easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is pretty good on 5-year sample size.

1719871350347.png

Goalies who have played 150+ games at last 5 seasons.

Also he will bring a lot of experience from different goalie systems.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yzerman trouping darts hopping some make target. Last season one actually was pretty good

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bleh.

I would rather miss the playoffs then get there by covering issues with scotch tape

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don’t really see the need with Husso and Lyon. Seems like Reimer 2.0 honestly. But it’s not a lot of money, so it’s fine. Was good overall last year for LA, but they had a much better defense than wings. He was also BRUTAL for a stretch. At the end of the day, I don’t really think it matters who is in net behind this defense, there were bigger needs to fill.

If both are healthy Talbot is the much better goalie. More career games and much better numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: Remparts666

Astyanax

May 5, 2020

I hated the talbot signing when I saw it, but he was actually better then I remember. However, that said, how are you casting of lyon for that tandem. Lyons was the only reason we sniffed the playoffs. So bringing in like a dozen new goalies is questionable at best.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Puckpedia has Jack Campbell on the DRW for league minimum. Anyone else see or here this or is it maybe just a goof by PP?
No, espn said we signed him, for minimum of course as Edmonton is paying the rest. But that why I commented above about all the goalies, plus we drafted one.??

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cam Talbot has +15.12 GSAA (goals saved above average) from last 3 seasons. That's better than Markström and almost equal with Stuart Skinner. He is a Top11 goalie of all who have played same minutes (7900min) or more.

Other familiar names.

Talbot +15.12 GSAA
Lyon +2.59 GSAA
-------------------
Husso -4.24 GSAA
Campbell -9.32 GSAA
Reimer -12.02 GSAA
Nedeljkovic -14.89 GSAA

Imo, he is by far the best goalie we have had lately.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I hated the talbot signing when I saw it, but he was actually better then I remember. However, that said, how are you casting of lyon for that tandem. Lyons was the only reason we sniffed the playoffs. So bringing in like a dozen new goalies is questionable at best.
In a perfect world you somehow lose the Husso contract. He's had too many injuries to be relied upon. It's not his fault, obviously, but this is professional sports and you need guys to be reliable. Lyon has been up to this point, Husso has not.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I understand the move but I have a little nausea adding a 37 year old goalie who just played behind a very well-structured defense. Father Time catches up with everyone and our dipshit blueline won’t do have any favors.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad