Post-Game Talk: 2.9.16 - Ovechkin & Co @ Preds "We saved our liver" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Honestly not even sure what I want. This team is going to get steamrolled in the playoffs if they make it but the chances of moving up in the lottery from the position we'll be at are slim.

Yay for being mediocre!

We should just forget about offense and just play defense and protect Rinne if he remains in and then just capitalize on offensive mistakes cause there is just no way we can play this high power offense and trust Rinne to save our butts from being scored on. Maybe the old Rinne but not this Rinne.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
At what point do the players start losing confidence in rinne?
Shurely they see what the fans do.

Agreed.

I mentioned earlier that they have to be clutching the sticks extra tight knowing that every little mistake is likely going to end up in the back of the net.

At this point, we need to play Hutton, just to give Rinne some rest, or a break to get his confidence back, or something. Sometimes, guys can get a different perspective by sitting and watching and taking a step back. Maybe that can help.

I never thought i'd say this about a Preds team, but our gamebreaking forwards are being killed by our poor goalie.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Well...jets won
Hawks lost
Wild lost
Blues lost
Avalanche down two with eight minutes to go

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Tired of going to all the losses. Can't remember the last time I've been to a game that we won. Looked it up, the Rangers game over a month ago.

Maybe that's why I'm leaving games early more often nowadays. Used to never do that. Now when we go down by two goals I feel like the game is already over.

Left tonight after we were down 3-1. Before I could even get 1/4 of the way to Pinnacle, my phone tells me we're down 4-1 on an unassisted goal.

Driving home we score two to make it interesting but alas lose again as it's too little too late. Just sucks.

Lastly, Brent Peterson should probably retire after this season. His voice is nearly gone. He could barely speak when first starting a sentence.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well...jets won
Hawks lost
Wild lost
Blues lost
Avalanche down two with eight minutes to go

Yep, despite everything we are still going to be in the #1 wildcard spot. We could have really put some distance between us and all the teams behind us on this home stand but completely blew it....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Are y'all being sarcastic? Playoffs? :laugh:

Umm- yes- have you looked at the standings????

I don't understand why people can't understand that as bad as its been for us, we are competing for playoff spots against teams that are even worse than we are.

It has been a miserable season but people keep acting like we are 10 points out of the last spot.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I believe we can and probably will make the playoffs but just barely. The problem I see though w/ the inconsistency of this team is a one and done team in the playoffs. Would for once love to see the team at least get past the second round for a change. I know the playoffs are a different beast but right now with the way we are playing I don't see us doing that.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Can you imagine being Edmonton fans? I guess things could always be worse.

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
I was at the game tonight and was just amazed how we played in third compared the first two periods. I mean if this team and pekka gets hot were not a team to under estimate. I mean I'm frustrated as much as y'all with how we're just not scoring. But if we get hot teams better start watching out. We need our leaders to step up and lead! Point blank, pekka needs step his game up. This team is to damn talented to be getting steamed rolled in the two first periods!! And WHERES THE NET FRONT PRESENCE! All the goals in the third were all from screening the goals! Screen the goalie! And turnovers are killing us as well! Philly and this game were just sad! Don't give up on them yet, were still in this. Don't know for how long but we still are!

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I'm really starting to dislike how aggressive our D is in this system. Teams have figured out how to get odd man rushes on us out of their defensive zoen.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Lavi needs to really consider putting Hutton in. Unless it's a disaster, have him play a few and give Rinne some extended rest.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm really starting to dislike how aggressive our D is in this system. Teams have figured out how to get odd man rushes on us out of their defensive zoen.

Agreed, last year when Rinne was on fire that wasn't a problem, he saved every high quality chance they gave. This year, he hasn't been able to do that. Our D is chasing the puck all over in our zone leaving guys alone in the doorstep and giving opponents high quality chances. They don't really trust Rinne anymore. They should clog up the middle, not give them high quality chances but give them shots from the perimeter. Rinne will take those all day. Kinda like the Minnesota Wild defends when theiy are in their own zone. Sure, this will lead to a bit longer cycles by the opposing team but at least we eliminate those high quality, east-west chances, that will lead to a goal against, regardless who's in the crease.

So, don't chase the puck, instead keep your man, clog up the middle and the front of the net and let those shots come from the perimeter.

Last night was the perfect example of our defensive zone play right now, just look at the goals the Caps scored and you'll see why. Can't believe how many times the Caps could connect a pass between our D's east-west style.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Another game without a contribution from Fisher or Smith.

Fisher is concerning - one has to wonder if all of the injuries have finally caught up with him. Just 12 points this season - no points in the last 5 games. Joey already has more points than him since the trade.

We are all frustrated about how inconsistent the team is this season; unless something drastic happens the center combo of Joey-Ribs-Fisher will remain intact. Poile (or whoever the GM is) will need to take a hard look at this in the offseason.

If the window is closing on Weber and Rinne's prime (some may argue Rinne's has already closed), maybe they go after Staal on like a 4-year deal and run Joey-Staal-Ribs-Fisher as the Cs next season. Dunno.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Or try Wilson as C? He could thrive there. Didn't he play that one Winnipeg game at home as a C and was the best player in that game and scored?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Agreed. Why he's not been pulled I have no idea.

It's not like these are great goal scorers, they're 3rd liners.....

Come now, that is fair. Chimera and MoJo have 14 goals this year, which would place them tied for third on our team. I would easily take either of those guys over anyone not named Forsberg, RyJo or Neal. Then you have Justin Williams who is absolutely a top six forward on any team in the league.

Tom Wilson I agree with though.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Come now, that is fair. Chimera and MoJo have 14 goals this year, which would place them tied for third on our team. I would easily take either of those guys over anyone not named Forsberg, RyJo or Neal. Then you have Justin Williams who is absolutely a top six forward on any team in the league.

Tom Wilson I agree with though.
Chimera is all speed, he's not a talented goal scorer, in fact he had 7 goals last season and comparing him to our team of forwards isn't fair.

He's scored more than 15 goals twice in 11 seasons, don't make it out like he's some high skilled star. He's a 3rd line player, nothing more. Johansson I'll agree with but Wilson and Chimera are career 3rd line players.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I like Wilson's game, but he's a playmaker, he needs someone to finish. Fisher and Smith aren't that guy this year and both he and Forsberg are better on the left side. I'd like Wilson back up on the first line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad