1st/2nd Round Do Not Draft List

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Teams always create a DND list for the upcoming draft. Whether its skills and abilities issues, or off- ice concerns.

Strictly for the 1st and 2nd round, curious to see if you have anyone on your Do not Draft list and why

For me:

Mathew Wood- skating issues are a huge red flag for me. I think he tops out at as 3rd line winger that can contribute here and there. I would not invest a 1st or 2nd round pick on him.

Cam Allen- was very much over-hyped early on and was considered to go in the top at 10, he has since fallen to to late 1st -mid 2nd area. I would not draft him in either early round. Very vanilla player, with a low ceiling.

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
I still see people ranking Ethan Miedema in the 2nd round and he’s far too inconsistent to take a flyer on till much later in my opinion.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Mathew Wood- skating issues are a huge red flag for me. I think he tops out at as 3rd line winger that can contribute here and there. I would not invest a 1st or 2nd round pick on him.

Sometimes, they hyperbole on these boards makes me laugh. I've seen more of Wood than pretty much anyone on here (I haven't followed up with his college year) but his offensive instincts are undeniable. He's a genuine 1st round talent. Production as a true freshmen, not only that I believe he's the youngest college player.

His skating will hold him back, no doubt. NHL teams will have to decide that when factoring how he fits into teams. Not everyone has to be a 200ft, two-way player. Teams will be drafting him for his production.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Sometimes, they hyperbole on these boards makes me laugh. I've seen more of Wood than pretty much anyone on here (I haven't followed up with his college year) but his offensive instincts are undeniable. He's a genuine 1st round talent. Production as a true freshmen, not only that I believe he's the youngest college player.

His skating will hold him back, no doubt. NHL teams will have to decide that when factoring how he fits into teams. Not everyone has to be a 200ft, two-way player. Teams will be drafting him for his production.

Im not saying he wont get drafted in the 1st, im just saying i wouldnt do so personally.

Especially with how deep and talented this draft pool is, there's just too many risks in his skating that the chance of busting (relevant to his draft position of say mid 1st) is just too high.

Im sure teams will hope that they have the next Tage Thompson in Mathew Wood...Big , long, right shot forward with offensive skill and instincts.

Hallzy

Mar 18, 2022
Lacks IQ, inconsistent effort level, poor defensive awarenesses and some skating issue.
All very true - although it was nice to see him expand his game and become a better playmaker these year he still doesnt have the IQ/Drive to be the primary contributor on a line. He's very Brock Boeser-esque to me

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I'm not sure I would take a Finn in the first two rounds. Maybe Hameenaho in the late 2nd

Halttunen is a guy who seems to be ranked far too high for me.
I'd consider Hämeenaho around 30-35 perhaps. At least higher than Halttunen or Jarventie. Maybe Karki if he gives a big reason to rise. I think all 4 go Round 2-3.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Teams always create a DND list for the upcoming draft. Whether its skills and abilities issues, or off- ice concerns.

Strictly for the 1st and 2nd round, curious to see if you have anyone on your Do not Draft list and why

For me:

Cam Allen- was very much over-hyped early on and was considered to go in the top at 10, he has since fallen to to late 1st -mid 2nd area. I would not draft him in either early round. Very vanilla player, with a low ceiling.

I think that putting a player on a DND list strictly due to his skating is imo a bad decision. Nowadays, for good athletes, improving skating enough to be able to play in the NHL is something that happens quite regularly. Tage Thompson has been mentioned already, but there's also Jason Robertson that dropped simply due to skating.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be someone easily singled out as an attitude issue by the scouting masses, at least to this point.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think that putting a player on a DND list strictly due to his skating is imo a bad decision. Nowadays, for good athletes, improving skating enough to be able to play in the NHL is something that happens quite regularly. Tage Thompson has been mentioned already, but there's also Jason Robertson that dropped simply due to skating.

For every Tage Thompson and Jason Robertson story theres about 2000 bust stories due to skating.

This is a very very good draft, and deep, its not a time to take risks imo and drafting Wood in the first 2 rounds is very very risky to me.

Reactions: BigHitter67

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
For every Tage Thompson and Jason Robertson story theres about 2000 bust stories due to skating.

This is a very very good draft, and deep, its not a time to take risks imo and drafting Wood in the first 2 rounds is very very risky to me.
You said Wood is a DND, indicating you wouldn’t take him at all. There’s been way worse skating prospects with much less talent taken in the first round virtually every year.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

For me:

I think this will age poorly for Wood... You have to do something right to score as much as he's been doing in the BCHL and the NCAA at such a young age.

Skating is one of the most fixable flaws you can have, especially for those big players. Not 100% sure, if course, but he's shown he can score at elite rate at every level... If he gets picked in the late 1st I think he could be a steal.

Getzlaf, Thompson, Perry are good examples of big bodies that improved skating enough to be elite players in the league while not being the prettiest skaters.

I have him solidly in the top 15.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Even if he topped out as a 3rd line winger, that would still make him a worthy late 1st round selection.

So to not use a 2nd round pick on him would be illogical.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Wood, Rehpkof, Stramel, Musty, Dragicevic, Allen.
Any top 64 draft list without most of these players is just not complete. These might be players you want to avoid because you don’t like their play style, but I’m just not sure there are 64 players worth drafting over some of these players.

Take Musty for example. He has some great tools. Size, skill, and a great shot. If you can get Musty at 50 that’s an absolute steal making him well worth a 2nd round pick. The same goes for Wood in particular.

Id listen to your argument for Allen and Rehkopf. But, when you take a deep-dive into the prospects available, better players with higher upside are few and far between.

Reactions: Habsrule

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Any top 64 draft list without most of these players is just not complete. These might be players you want to avoid because you don’t like their play style, but I’m just not sure there are 64 players worth drafting over some of these players.

Take Musty for example. He has some great tools. Size, skill, and a great shot. If you can get Musty at 50 that’s an absolute steal making him well worth a 2nd round pick. The same goes for Wood in particular.

Id listen to your argument for Allen and Rehkopf. But, when you take a deep-dive into the prospects available, better players with higher upside are few and far between.
Oh I agree, it would be hard to find 60 better players, especially for the average armchair scout I am who dont know much about the depth of this draft, but the question was who I would avoid in the 2 first rounds, I named them and I let my team scouting staff do the rest, they are paid to make the picks and find those mid late rounds GEMs.

As an exemple, we drafted Adam Engstrom late 3rd, the guy was underscouted and falled much more than he should, I see him as a strong all around defenseman who can do a bit of everthing on the ice, while the Yotes traded up late 1st to get a guy I had on my ND list. As another exemple, we drafted Rohrer and Guindon 3rd and 4th and while their upside is limited, I would rather have that type players in my system, kids that skates well, works hard and play the right way than a 6'2 kid, soft like butter who doesnt process the game fast enough and have little faith in.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm agreeing on Allen, my current ranking is 50 players deep and will go up to.....I dunno, maybe low 70s, and I think Allen will be in the 60s at this point.

The one I got as a legit ND is Haltunnen. He's big and he has a shot......if that's your only foundation, I don't see you as an NHL prospect, even if I'm sure some teams will salivate.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad