1972 Summit Series 50th Anniversary Thread

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Discussions on this are going on in several threads, so let's have one master thread that ties the links together.

Link collection:

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Game 6
Game 7
Game 8

Hockey Time Machine recently had an episode on the upcoming CBC documentary Summit 72: Hockey Time Machine: Summit 72: The Making of the CBC Documentary

Some Russian background and points of view: SIHR Blog - The Difference 15 Years Make: Canadian Lessons for the Soviets and Soviet Lessons for the Canadians

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have an interesting perspective as I sat in the stands for Game 1 in Montreal and 7 1/2 years later I was in the stands in Lake Placid.

We all know how Game 1 in Montreal started but my lasting memory is when a pane of glass needed to be replaced and the Russians did wind sprints during the delay and Team Canada was relaxing.

My then-girlfriend got the tickets for the early game in Lake Placid a month before and we had no idea that it would be USA/USSR and driving up that Friday she was so excited saying we can win. I was fearful of a 10-2 blowout and most hockey experts felt that way.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The only thing I remember about 1972 series is Firsov wasn't gonna play. That's probably killed any interest to the series for me. Or maybe I was just too young and my memory doesn't serve me right. But I remember I was a crazy hockey fan back to then. Hockey meant to me way more than soccer. It changed later but nowadays it's this way again.

Reactions: Sentinel

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I have an interesting perspective as I sat in the stands for Game 1 in Montreal and 7 1/2 years later I was in the stands in Lake Placid.

We all know how Game 1 in Montreal started but my lasting memory is when a pane of glass needed to be replaced and the Russians did wind sprints during the delay and Team Canada was relaxing.

My then-girlfriend got the tickets for the early game in Lake Placid a month before and we had no idea that it would be USA/USSR and driving up that Friday she was so excited saying we can win. I was fearful of a 10-2 blowout and most hockey experts felt that way.

That's an amazing combination of experiences. I felt oddly confident that the USA was going to give the Soviets a game. I had been surprised how they played Sweden and the Czechs, Europe's other two main powers, although the Czechs were just entering some lean years, if I recall correctly.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
That's an amazing combination of experiences. I felt oddly confident that the USA was going to give the Soviets a game. I had been surprised how they played Sweden and the Czechs, Europe's other two main powers, although the Czechs were just entering some lean years, if I recall correctly.
I don't know about that, more like they were right in their absolute peak years. Reigning world champions and more to come. Canada Cup finalists in 76, although that possibly had to do with the seeding after round Robin, i.e. Canada-USSR in the other semi. Nah, scratch that last part probably.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
The only thing I remember about 1972 series is Firsov wasn't gonna play. That's probably killed any interest to the series for me. Or maybe I was just too young and my memory doesn't serve me right. But I remember I was a crazy hockey fan back to then. Hockey meant to me way more than soccer. It changed later but nowadays it's this way again.

I heard that Firsov was kind of like a Bobby Orr or Hull, in that he was one of the greatest Russian players that didnt play. Can you tell us why he didn't play?

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca

If this link is of interest, Theokritas. From ten years ago, Globe and Mail snippets from insiders on both sides of the proverbial face-off circle.

This portion is part of a longer sequence involving the late Pierre Plouffe, the enthusiastic Olympian - trumpet player who ran afoul of the law...

In the sixth game, the organizers put all 3,000 Canadian fans in one area. They got a good rhythm going with the chant, "Nyet nyet Soviet, da da Canada." The Soviets got a little spooked by this. They called in the militia.

Harris: This one guy had a trumpet and every now and then the army guys would try to find it, try to get the trumpeter to hand it over. But everyone rallied around, passing the trumpet to one another and hiding it.

Plouffe: We all had one another's back, all 3,000. When the police tried to get my bugle, everyone else in the stands helped out.

I go back to the Intourist, and end up in a room with John Ferguson, Phil Esposito, Don Awrey and Pete Mahovlich. Pete says, "Get us drinks, Pierre." I went to the bar, and this big lady who served me every night said, "We're closed." As I argue, I get pissed off. There were 50 bottles of Champagne on the bar. I accidentally hit a bottle. It spun, fell and broke a bunch of glasses. As I was backing up, I hit a table and broke another bunch of glasses.

Reid: The bar was smashed. The bottles in the bar were all smashed. It was a one-man wrecking crew. The militia soon descended . . .

NOTE - Pierre's account ends on a happy note after Game 8, and a very different one that coach Harry Sinden describes in Hockey Showdown just before game 8, as mentioned in the game threads.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I heard that Firsov was kind of like a Bobby Orr or Hull, in that he was one of the greatest Russian players that didnt play. Can you tell us why he didn't play?

Well they removed Tarasov from Soviet national team and Firsov refused to play. Or maybe Bobrov didn't want him on the team.

Btw Montreal invited him to play in the NHL in 1970, and he agreed to come but wasn't allowed by Soviet hockey bosses. Or even by Soviet leaders. Despite he was ready to give up most of his salary to Soviet funds.

He retired in 1973 being basically the top Soviet player.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Some quotes on Anatoli Firsov:

"A perfect hockey player? To me Anatoli Firsov was one. Anatoli had it all. (...) That man was a shooter, skater, passer, playmaker. And he was tough – which was rare among the Russian forwards at the time. (...) A top player in every way; he had incredible vision. At his best, Kharlamov might have been a better 'solo artist' and a better dangler, but he lacks Firsov's skills in many other areas." (Finnish player Veli-Pekka Ketola, quote kindly provided by @VMBM)

"A couple of generations of kids grew up wanting to play hockey because of Firsov and what he did on the ice. He was electrifying. His shot was unstoppable. All the tricks he did on the ice are unrepeatable." (Slava Fetisov)

"My teammates and I believed that Anatoli Firsov was the number one player in Soviet hockey, not only in his time but also in the history of our sport." (Valeri Kharlamov)

"Russia have always had great players, but the best I've seen, was no doubt, Firsov. He was just a brilliant passer! And had magical hands." (Scotty Bowman)

Well they removed Tarasov from Soviet national team and Firsov refused to play. Or maybe Bobrov didn't want him on the team.

Bobrov didn't take Firsov to the 1972 World Championship, which in turn enraged Firsov enough (and I'm sure that Tarasov, Bobrov's great rival, added fuel to that fire) to refuse to play in the Summit Series. As a punishment Firsov was banned from attending the games in Moscow.

1970Bruins

May 18, 2018
Boston
Game 1 of the Summit Series took place in the Montreal Forum on September 2, 1972. It's the most important sports event I've ever attended.

I got to Montreal the day before the game, and the city was jumping with anticipation. Every conversation in the city -- at my hotel's check-in, at the St James Pub, at Ben's smoked meat place -- was about the game. The newspapers covered every angle -- the Journal de Montréal reported that the Soviets were staying at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, and the hotel's maids said that the players were very neat and didn't leave clothes or towels on the floor.

Everyone in Canada knew, they were pretty sure, that the NHL had the best players in the world -- after all, Canada had invented the damn sport. I recall one comment made in the buildup: "Canada is known for two things, wheat and hockey, and not in that order." Some were predicting an 8-0 sweep (there would be 4 games played in Canada, then 4 more in the Soviet Union), others suggested that the Russians might win 1 of their games at home, allowing the Reds to save a bit of face. No one predicted a Soviet win, either in the series or the opening game.

Game Day was roasting hot, in the 90sF/mid-30sC. I didn't have a ticket but tickets can always be had at a price. And I wasn't going to miss this one. I got to the Forum a couple of hours before game time -- don't remember what I [over]paid, but got a seat in the brown section of the Forum. Lousy seats, but I was in, and the atmosphere in the cheap seats is just as good as in the fancy loges. Often better, actually.

The Canadian team was filled with all-stars: Ken Dryden and Tony Esposito in the net, with Phil Esposito, the Mahovlich brothers, Stan Mikita, Bobby Clarke, Rod Gilbert, Brad Park, Guy Lapointe, Paul Henderson (of course) and other top players filling out the squad. Others were missing: the best player in the world, Bobby Orr, was out with a knee. And the players who'd signed with the new WHA, including Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe, weren't eligible.

I got into the Forum when the doors opened, to soak up as much atmosphere as possible. The anticipation was boiling and the tension supercharged, and all this in the Montreal Forum, the greatest building in all of ice hockey. Then a thunderous roar as Team Canada hit the ice for warmups -- the Forum would be packed of course, but I'd never seen the place packed for the warmups. The Russians looked nervous in the warmups, especially their goaltender Vladislav Tretiak. Seemed like he was letting in 60% of the shots they took at him. This was going to be easy.

Warm-ups ended, the ice refreshed, the anthems played. It was, after an eternity of buildup, time to drop the puck. And opening played out just as expected: , a routine Frank Mahovlich shot and a fat rebound gave Phil Esposito an easy goal in the 1st minute. A few minutes later, a Henderson long shot made Tretiak look foolish. Canada leads 2-0, the crowd's roar is deafening, and the rout was on. Nothing can match the atmosphere in the Forum, and this was special.

Until it all fell apart.

Not one soul in that building would have predicted what happened next. Four straight goals for the Russians, then three more to Canada's one. Final score: USSR 7, Canada 3.

Of all the things from 50 years ago, this is what I remember most clearly: the silence after the game. The Forum could be quiet during a boring game, or there could be catcalls when the Habs played poorly. But not silent like this. And the silence on St Catherine St was even more stark -- not a sound from the stunned souls heading home. Toe Blake's bar, always mobbed and a hotbed of activity after any game, was barely half-full, the customers staring blankly at the TVs as Foster Hewitt and Réné LeCavalier tried to explain what had just happened. Canada was in shock. Next day, I flew home to Boston, and Canada was trying reconcile what had gone down the night before.

Seven more games would be played, and Canadians' bewilderment would ultimately turn to excitement, with a climax of Paul Henderson's goal to clinch the series, 4-3-1. There'd be more Canada-Russia series, and eastern bloc players would eventually make their marks in the NHL. But there won't be another game like Summit Series Game 1.

Attachments

• summit1.jpg
    summit1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 9
  • summit2.jpg
    summit2.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 10

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
What I remember most clearly: the silence after the game. The Forum could be quiet during a boring game, or there could be catcalls when the Habs played poorly. But not silent like this. And the silence on St Catherine St was even more stark -- not a sound from the stunned souls heading home. ..

Seven more games would be played, and Canadians' bewilderment

Thanks for sharing that. My prevailing memory of The Bewiderment took place between the first and second period. I had seen the first period at a friend's house and rode a half mile to my home, completely unable to process what had just taken place. The festive mood had gone south for me before Henderson put Canada up 2-0, as by that time the Soviets had already had a number of real opportunities and were holding our own against our very best.

The most memorable silence came soon after the conclusion of game 8. I was alone at home watching the game, and suddenly felt the strangest sense of emptiness. It was a most unexpected and suprisingly deep feeling. Looking back, I suppose this must have been because I had been so preoccupied by the series.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Some quotes on Anatoli Firsov:

"A perfect hockey player? To me Anatoli Firsov was one. Anatoli had it all. (...) That man was a shooter, skater, passer, playmaker. And he was tough – which was rare among the Russian forwards at the time. (...) A top player in every way; he had incredible vision. At his best, Kharlamov might have been a better 'solo artist' and a better dangler, but he lacks Firsov's skills in many other areas." (Finnish player Veli-Pekka Ketola, quote kindly provided by @VMBM)

"A couple of generations of kids grew up wanting to play hockey because of Firsov and what he did on the ice. He was electrifying. His shot was unstoppable. All the tricks he did on the ice are unrepeatable." (Slava Fetisov)

"My teammates and I believed that Anatoli Firsov was the number one player in Soviet hockey, not only in his time but also in the history of our sport." (Valeri Kharlamov)

"Russia have always had great players, but the best I've seen, was no doubt, Firsov. He was just a brilliant passer! And had magical hands." (Scotty Bowman)

Bobrov didn't take Firsov to the 1972 World Championship, which in turn enraged Firsov enough (and I'm sure that Tarasov, Bobrov's great rival, added fuel to that fire) to refuse to play in the Summit Series. As a punishment Firsov was banned from attending the games in Moscow.
Such high praise, but the VK one seems to infer that Firsov may have had a kind of Gordie Howe-like separation from his peers - clearly a best player...

Last edited by a moderator:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca

Btw Montreal invited him to play in the NHL in 1970, and he agreed to come but wasn't allowed by Soviet hockey bosses. Or even by Soviet leaders. Despite he was ready to give up most of his salary to Soviet funds.

He retired in 1973 being basically the top Soviet player.

So, Firsov would have been good enough to play in the Summit Series, for still "basically being the top Soviet player"? Why did Tarasov get bumped? (It's been years since I heard about that.) I'm guessing that some of his rivals may have thought he was too compromising... ?

Hardly an original idea, but I have wondered if the Soviets would have fared better with Tarasov behind their bench in Moscow. I would think there's been a lot of speculation over that "what if" in Russia.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So, Firsov would have been good enough to play in the Summit Series, for still "basically being the top Soviet player"? Why did Tarasov get bumped? (It's been years since I heard about that.) I'm guessing that some of his rivals may have thought he was too compromising... ?

Hardly an original idea, but I have wondered if the Soviets would have fared better with Tarasov behind their bench in Moscow. I would think there's been a lot of speculation over that "what if" in Russia.

I'd say Firsov was still one of the best Soviet players back to then. As to Tarasov, they said Soviet hockey bosses demanded Soviet team played a tie vs Czechs at the 1972 Olympics to let them finish 2nd but Soviets beat Czechs 5-2. Overall Soviet hockey heads didn't like Tarasov because he always was too independent so when he refused to obey them at the Olympics they removed him from the national team.

I'd say with Chernyshov and Tarasov we would have probably beat Canadians, but who knows...

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I'd say Firsov was still one of the best Soviet players back to then. As to Tarasov, they said Soviet hockey bosses demanded Soviet team played a tie vs Czechs at the 1972 Olympics to let them finish 2nd but Soviets beat Czechs 5-2. Overall Soviet hockey heads didn't like Tarasov because he always was too independent so when he refused to obey them at the Olympics they removed him from the national team.

I'd say with Chernyshov and Tarasov we would have probably beat Canadians, but who knows...

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Don Cherry, but him and Tarasov might have made for a lively Coaches Corner TV segment. (Pity the translator.)

I'm guessing that the Soviets would have been able to compete with the NHL for a few years before 72. Would you agree, and if so when do you think this became true? 1968 or thereabouts?

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
One of my favorite memories was after Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in game 8. The Canadians were celebrating as a group in the Russian zone. No Russian player was going near the dejected Vladislav Tretiak after the goal. Pete Mahovlich left the celebration and skated back and tapped Tretiak on the pads, real sportsmanship. Loved Big Pete and he scored one of the great goals of the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

For the record, the head coach of the Soviet national team prior to Bobrov was Arkadi Chernyshov (see Arkadi Chernyshov, the Forgotten Head Coach), even though Tarasov of course played a crucial role as assistant coach.

Firsov's ranking in Soviet Best Player Voting:
1968: 1st
1969: 1st
1970: 7th
1971: 1st
1972: 5th (1st were Kharlamov and Maltsev, tied)

However, it is extremely likely that Firsov would have finished higher in 1972 if he didn't miss the 1972 World Championship. Bobrov left him out of the roster. I'm sure he would at least have finished 4th if he played there.

As to Tarasov, they said Soviet hockey bosses demanded Soviet team played a tie vs Czechs at the 1972 Olympics to let them finish 2nd but Soviets beat Czechs 5-2. Overall Soviet hockey heads didn't like Tarasov because he always was too independent so when he refused to obey them at the Olympics they removed him from the national team.

Well, that's the version Tarasov's widow and daughter like to float, no doubt based on what they heard from him. But fact of the matter is that Tarasov had become something of a loose cannon who, among other things, had gotten into shouting matches with foreign officials and players, including Czechoslovak players at the 1972 Olympics – and Czechoslovakia was going to host the 1972 World Championship. Also, there was an argument between Tarasov and the Soviet sports minister just prior to the 1972 Olympics.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Speaking of Arkadi Chernyshov, he served as one of the Soviet scouts (togher with Boris Kulagin) that attended the Team Canada training camp. Here's what he told Russian sports journalist Yevgeni Rubin just prior to Game 1:

Chernyshov: "Never before have Canadian professionals started the season so early. The NHL offseason lasts four months and now 38 of the best players have come together a month earlier than usual. National team coach Harry Sinden has told me more than once that he did not consider names and titles when selecting his team, that he picked those who matched his taste and who he thinks are well suited to play against the Russians. That's probably how it is. However, all the most famous players and the best lines, all those who made the first and second NHL all-star teams last season, are among the 38 called up by Sinden. Only Bobby Hull is missing. By the way, a detail. While in Canada, I often met with NHL president Campbell. And every time, as soon as we appeared in a public place, the crowd, seeing the president, began to chant: "Hull, Hull!" The Canadian fans – and over there, the entire population seems to consist of hockey fans – demanded the inclusion of Hull. That's just a detail, but, in my opinion, it shows the attitude of the Canadians towards the matches with the Soviet national team quite clearly."

Rubin: "You said that all the other stars are preparing for the games. But what about the most famous Canadian player, Orr?"

Chernyshov: "I've met with Orr. He is quickly recovering from an injury and hopes to play in the last match in Canada and all the games in Moscow."

Rubin: "What impression did Sinden make on you?"

Chernyshov: "We don't know each other well enough to say anything definitive. But here's another detail for you. Sinden arranged a reception for Boris Pavlovich Kulagin and me. Among the other guests were about 15 NHL owners – the ones who offer Sinden a place as a coach once he returns from Moscow and a contract for $70,000 a year. This is a high salary, only outstanding coaches get that in Canada.

But back to the Canadian team. They prepare very intensively. They have two workouts a day. Both are two hours long. The first one starts at nine, an hour after getting up, the second one at one in the afternoon. No-one has to be cajoled, everyone is engaged, not ouf of fear but out of conscience. The skating, stickhandling, passing and shooting technique of the players is excellent. By the way, a lot of time in training is spent on shots on goal, especially slapshots. Perhaps that is why Canadian goaltenders are so good at stopping strong shots.

Many of the things in their training are unusal to us. Some things are understandable, others are hard to explain. For example, I see a rational reason in the fact that the Candians do not tend to play an entire unit – a forward line operates with different pairs of defenders: a lot of things happen in a game and sometimes it's useful to use a different combination of players. But here's a example to the contrary. During the morning practice, an hour is devoted to scrimmages and the lines aren't changed more than once every three minutes. This means that everyone has to wait in line for at least six minutes. And generally speaking, the drills, for all their tension and great physical exertion, are much less intense than ours."

Rubin: "What does Sinden say about the results of the matches?"

Chernyshov: "He claims that the Canadians will win all eight with a big score."

Rubin: "And what is your opinion?"

Chernyshov: "I don't think everything will be as easy as it seems to Sinden if your team manages to impose an extremely high pace on the Canadians. I'm not sure the Canadians have the strength to endure it to the end. True, I was only in eight training sessions. 12 more training days were held after my departure."

(From Futbol-Khokkey 36/1972)

FH.jpg

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, that's the version Tarasov's widow and daughter like to float, no doubt based on what they heard from him. But fact of the matter is that Tarasov had become something of a loose cannon who, among other things, had gotten into shouting matches with foreign officials and players, including Czechoslovak players at the 1972 Olympics – and Czechoslovakia was going to host the 1972 World Championship. Also, there was an argument between Tarasov and the Soviet sports minister just prior to the 1972 Olympics.

Yeah, it's what Tarasov always was. His teams almost always won though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's easy to see Firsov as the Soviet analogue of Bobby Hull. Each was likely the best player in his country in the 60s and still among the very best in the early 70s, and each was not at the Summit Series despite being healthy and worthy of inclusion.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
One of my favorite memories was after Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in game 8. The Canadians were celebrating as a group in the Russian zone. No Russian player was going near the dejected Vladislav Tretiak after the goal. Pete Mahovlich left the celebration and skated back and tapped Tretiak on the pads, real sportsmanship. Loved Big Pete and he scored one of the great goals of the series.

Chili, You may find this recent post on Peter Mahovlich in the Summit Series to be of interest:
Let's Watch: 1972 Summit Series, Game 8/8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad