19 former Sabres in playoffs this year

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Good indication that Sabres have had quality talent, but management from the owner through GM to the coaches have been close to last in class.

On 2024 playoff teams

Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart
Ryan O'Reilly
Evander Kane
Evan Rodrigues
Casey Middelstadt
Kyle Okposo
William Carrier
Jimmy Vesey
Mark Jankowski
Conor Sheary

Brandon Montour
Tyler Myers
Jake McCabe
Dmitry Kulikov
Nikita Zadorov
Colin Miller
Brayden McNabb

Linus Ullmark

Looks like the making of a team that could make it out of the first round.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vesey never played a game for Buffalo, despite acquiring his rights.
But, at one point in time, Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Kane, Okposo, Mittlestadt, Ullmark were on the roster together in 17/18 season.

All about the mix and the culture. When you burn it to the ground, it's not easy to build it back up.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Good indication that Sabres have had quality talent, but management from the owner through GM to the coaches have been close to last in class.

On 2024 playoff teams

Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart
Ryan O'Reilly
Evander Kane
Evan Rodrigues
Casey Middelstadt
Kyle Okposo
William Carrier
Jimmy Vesey
Mark Jankowski

Brandon Montour
Tyler Myers
Jake McCabe
Dmitry Kulikov
Nikita Zadorov
Colin Miller

Linus Ullmark

Ehh, bad teams cycle through talent. Tim Murray put together a team full of young players and then targeted a bunch of players with substance abuse issues (Ryan O'Reilly, Robin Lehner) and immature behavioral issues (Kane). He spent assets like he was on a bender and making transactions at local strip clubs (because he was). Bylsma had no idea how to communicate, and the team drifted with an immature lockerroom under the influence of excessive amounts of coke and alcohol. It didn't get better with Botterill, and it is marginally better with Adams.
Oh, how I wish you were right. Jimmy Vesey may not have played after the Sabres first acquired his rights for a 3rd round pick, but he certainly did the second time they acquired him for a 3rd round pick. This MFing team paid a 3rd round pick for Jimmy Vesey on two separate occasions…

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
You can probably do this with a lot of teams

Here's 20 from the Flames, just off the top of my head.

Tkachuk
Bennett
Lindholm
Hanifin
Lomberg
Giordano
Brodie
Ryan
Zadorov
Tanev
Rittich
Talbot
Monahan
Jankowski
Kulak
Gustafson
Forbert
Toffoli
Lewis
Jarnkrok
You left out Adam Fox and Laurent Broissoit, just from the top of my head....

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The bigger thing is how many of these guys played their worst in Buffalo, then did better elsewhere.

Montour- Castoff in Anaheim and then Buffalo, suddenly good in Florida.
Reinhart- Perpetual 50 point guy turned ppg (which I called), then 50 goal guy (which I didn’t call) in Florida.
Erod- cut by Buffalo, now a solid 40 point player.
Eichel- enough said.

Miller, McCabe, Zadorov- all better off elsewhere.

Vesey was the worst player I’ve witnessed for the Sabres, just completely ineffectual in every facet of the game. Serviceable elsewhere.

Point is, it’s almost like there’s a tipping point where players either build or get worse. Boston is the positive example, Buffalo unfortunately the negative.

Speaking of, holy shit this site is borderline unusable at this point. I know, clear cookies and all that, but shit is broken.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Does this mean the Sabres made the playoffs by default?

The streak might be over!

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

On 2024 playoff teams

Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart
Ryan O'Reilly
Evander Kane
Evan Rodrigues
Casey Middelstadt
Kyle Okposo
William Carrier
Jimmy Vesey
Mark Jankowski

Brandon Montour
Tyler Myers
Jake McCabe
Dmitry Kulikov
Nikita Zadorov
Colin Miller

Linus Ullmark

Conor Sheary

Reactions: Look Up

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What’s most incredible is how many they finished last with. Not just missed the playoffs. Not last in the division. Not last in the conference. Last in the league.

You can probably do this with a lot of teams

Here's 20 from the Flames, just off the top of my head.

Tkachuk
Bennett
Lindholm
Hanifin
Lomberg
Giordano
Brodie
Ryan
Zadorov
Tanev
Rittich
Talbot
Monahan
Jankowski
Kulak
Gustafson
Forbert
Toffoli
Lewis
Jarnkrok
And how long is their playoff drought? How many times did they finish dead last in the league during it? How many of these players did they have ZERO regular season success with? ZERO playoff appearances?

If you want to compare it to something compare it to something that makes sense. If there was a comparable situation in the history of hockey. Which there is not.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What’s most incredible is how many they finished last with. Not just missed the playoffs. Not last in the division. Not last in the conference. Last in the league.

And how long is their playoff drought? How many times did they finish dead last in the league during it? How many of these players did they have ZERO regular season success with? ZERO playoff appearances?

If you want to compare it to something compare it to something that makes sense. If there was a comparable situation in the history of hockey. Which there is not.
I mean they missed the playoffs a ton, significantly underperforming when they did make it because of terrible player usage. I thought the point of the thread was to highlight teams that were less than the sum of their parts?

You could build a dominant cup contending roster with Calgary castaways.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019

They are really high on that list and they suck so yeah the talent they drafted is elsewhere.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
That team is pretty solid down the middle and on goal. D is definitely the weak spot though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
But, at one point in time, Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Kane, Okposo, Mittlestadt, Ullmark were on the roster together in 17/18 season.

All about the mix and the culture. When you burn it to the ground, it's not easy to build it back up.
Reading this makes me sad for Buffalo fans.

<-- Free hugs. Go to my van down by the river.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
2024 definitely feels like one that got away from Buffalo. Better luck next year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reading this makes me sad for Buffalo fans.

<-- Free hugs. Go to my van down by the river.
I mean the saddest part is the number of guys who were on the roster together. I mean Myers was part of the Kane deal so they were not on the roster at the same time for example.

But that 17/18 team had what like 6-7 guys from that list.

Most telling is the number of guys who performed better after leaving.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Oh, how I wish you were right. Jimmy Vesey may not have played after the Sabres first acquired his rights for a 3rd round pick, but he certainly did the second time they acquired him for a 3rd round pick. This MFing team paid a 3rd round pick for Jimmy Vesey on two separate occasions…

Vesey and Connor Sheary are two hallmarks of the drought for me. Just worthless space-eaters when they were on the ice. And we thought these guys were going to be difference makers. Guess they are, just not for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad