16 wins in the postseason = a championship

oba

Feb 2, 2024
How does this just get done!

Playoff success is often very different from regular season success.
1. Usually you need a bigger and heavier team. Or at least one that can withstand the serious pounding.
2. Avoid the seagulls who play for statistics in the 82 games. Stick with WARRIORS.
3. How do you build a team of warriors who use the 82 game schedule as practice for the real 16 WINS schedule.

Let's get creative here. No more sluffing around. We need a championship. Here, Vancouver has the foundation. Just one more step required. Management is good. Let's get behind them.

ps. A dynasty is a team that reels off 3 or 4 championships. The dynasty model is the best template to really get that championship. Only warriors need apply.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Ps.
Big Z looks the part.
Must be kept.
Dak looks the part.

Boess6 was lights out and is a total warrior.

Maybe over-playing your top goaltender during the 82 game EXHIBITION schedule is another case in point ..

If he's established as the top goalie, then give him a light schedule and keep him fresh for the 16 wins schedule, the only schedule that ultimately matters.

Examining some dynasties.

NY Islanders 1980s.
Some high end skill players (Trottier, Bossy), some big dual purpose players (Potvin, Jethro Gillies) , all backed up by tough as nails playoff warriors. The team was built on toughness with size from the start. That's one hockey dynasty. What's the template? Does it still apply?

EP40 definitely fits the Bossy role. Millsy9 also fills the role. Bess6 is ideal dual role, super mucker/sniper. Hughes is a bit of an anomaly on account of size. With the right partner though, it's not an issue.

IMO the experiment didn't work having him with Hronek as the pair was just too small to stand up to the serious pounding of playoff hockey. It will have to be ditched.

Huggy43 will need a BIG partner who can be the first one back to retrieve pucks, EVERY TIME , and thus absorb the EXPECTED and predictable pounding of the F1/F2. Ideally it will be a mobile D2 who can outlet to Huggy. Soucy could work well.

You just cannot have 2 small Ds paired, especially for playoffs. Sacrifice a bit of offense for the sake of skill-D survival.

You could absolutely predict that Huggy would be targeted for forecheck pounding, especially with a small D partner, when retrieving deep pucks. Because it's just low hanging fruit, for the opposing team's game strategy.

Not easy to avoid that obvious outcome, except by smarter pairing and relieving H43 of ALL first D- in retrieval assignments.

Playoff hockey is survival. This is the 16 WINS thread.

posted in another thread:

Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

sneaking this in here because it explains a lot.

that's enough for now .....

Last edited:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think size and skill is key. If you can surround a guy like Garland with big bodies + physicality he makes the plays and the big guys do the scoring. If we can get a combo of skill+size for Petey that would also be great.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Maybe the poster will triple down.
Yes, I would triple down. The surprise of him being characterized as a mucker isn't lessoned by the fact that he's also characterized as a sniper (the point being made wasn't "he's talented but the OP is framing him as untalented"), nor was my statement meant to brush aside/ignore the sniper side of him or pretend that he wasn't characterized that way as well. The clarification is not relevant or necessary.

The surprise is that he's being described as a super mucker AT ALL, since that's been the opposite of his reputation/play-style (sniping aside), which has been traditionally a "hover around in the soft spots where nobody is and rely on strong positioning/hockey sense" type of player. (and I'm not even suggesting that the characterization is inaccurate-- perception of him has simply come a long way)

For example, if I had said that it's funny how perception of Miller has gone from being an infuriating bozo to a consistent heart and soul leader, it would be similarly unnecessary to clarify "you left out that people also see him as a power forward."

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Implying that any NHL player who can withstand an entire season isn't a "warrior" is ridiculous to begin with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Implying that any NHL player who can withstand an entire season isn't a "warrior" is ridiculous to begin with.
I mean, everything is relative. You could say the same thing about implying that anyone good enough to play in the NHL has "hands of stone", yet we reasonably do it anyways because it's relative to NHL standards. I see no issue with implying that an NHLer isn't a warrior by lofty NHL playoff standards.

Reactions: I am toxic

oba

Feb 2, 2024
you get a Luke Schenn or a Z bearing down on you. most would beeline for safety. not warriors.

Yes, I would triple down. The surprise of him being characterized as a mucker isn't lessoned by the fact that he's also characterized as a sniper (the point being made wasn't "he's talented but the OP is framing him as untalented"), nor was my statement meant to brush aside/ignore the sniper side of him or pretend that he wasn't characterized that way as well. The clarification is not relevant or necessary.

The surprise is that he's being described as a super mucker AT ALL, since that's been the opposite of his reputation/play-style (sniping aside), which has been traditionally a "hover around in the soft spots where nobody is and rely on strong positioning/hockey sense" type of player. (and I'm not even suggesting that the characterization is inaccurate-- perception of him has simply come a long way)

For example, if I had said that it's funny how perception of Miller has gone from being an infuriating bozo to a consistent heart and soul leader, it would be similarly unnecessary to clarify "you left out that people also see him as a power forward."
board battles!
dive in and get that ### puck ....
BB6 was super-well coached up ....
200 ft game ..
lights out playoffs ....

Last edited:

oba

Feb 2, 2024
series 1, a lot of these players were going into the blue paint with Luke Schenn and living to tell about it.

Warriors ...

oba

Feb 2, 2024
In 1915, the Vancouver Millionaires hockey team won the Stanley Cup.

The final series was played at the Denman Arena, which was the first artificial ice hockey rink in Canada, and the largest indoor rink in the world at the time.

The Vancouver team swept the Ottawa Senators in three games.

The scores were: 6-2, 8-3, and 12-3.

The team was coached by Frank Patrick, brother of Lester Patrick (co-founders of the team).

The top Vancouver player was Cyclone Taylor. Taylor played the position of Rover, as well as Cover-point, which evolved into Defense. He was known as a terrific skater as well as a prolific scorer. At one time (around 1912) he was the highest paid athlete in the world, on a per game basis.

Interestingly, the top player for Ottawa was Art Ross, who was a puck moving defenseman, an anomaly at the time... as most D were "stay at home" style. (... Imagine the current trophy for the top {82- game exhibition} scorer bring named after a D-man) ...

Ross later became the first coach and GM of the new Boston Bruins in 1924. (The Bruins would, much later, add another puck moving defenseman ... who was also the only defenseman to ever win that Ross trophy .. did it twice .... )

This background, brought to you by the 16 Wins department. (Vancouver once beat the future GM of the Bruins...)

The Orca is a fabulous creature. Intelligent and a long traveler, an apex creature in its environment.
... fierce, yet sociable and adaptable.

(Mods: if any of this belongs in "hockey history" pls let me know and I will move it . ..)

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's a reason why they call the Stanley Cup the toughest trophy to win in pro sports.

An interminable 82-game season; followed by another 20-25 intense playoff games to hoist Lord Stanley's Mug. And there's usually three or four marathon OT games to factor in as well. Players are beaten up, beaten down, and trying to play through nagging injuries in a lot of cases.

And you also need a lot of luck. How many teams could withstand the loss of their Vezina finalist goaltender and the NHL backup, like the Canucks had to endure this spring?

The margins between victory and defeat are razor thin in the playoffs. In fact I think you could make a compelling argument that NHL hockey has the most parity and the tightest margins between wins and losses, than any other pro sport. And a couple of key injuries can tip the balance quickly.

Reactions: bh53 and I am toxic

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Definitely, there is a need to rethink the regular 82 game season.

It's promoted as important by the league's perspective (the revenue model).

But to the team, it's only about statistics. No one really cares about a president's trophy.

In that sense, the league, and the TEAM, have two entirely different priorities.

This must be evaluated and used to proper advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad