Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
Is Arturs Silovs the Canucks No. 1 goalie of the future?.....maybe even the 'immediate future'?

Demko is a finalist for the Vezina, although he's unlikely to win it. But if you were to trade him, it would be literally be at 'the top of the market'. Some goalie starved team out there might be willing to part with some picks, prospects or both.

Maybe the Canucks might even recover some of the their prospect pipeline that they had to hollow out to acquire the likes of Zadorov and Lindholm.

If the recent Stanley Cup playoffs have proven anything, teams are winning the top prize with some pretty average goaltending. And for context, the Av's Alexandar Georgiev just bested Connor Hellebucyk, another Vezina finalist this year, and the likely winner.
Pump the brakes a little

Silovs an RFA at the end of the season currently making league minimum I think?

Desmith UFA now making 1.8 -

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Getting something - anything - out of the 6th round is a massive win.

Getting a guy who helps you clinch a playoff series? That’s even better.

Have to think with the way he has played and the trust Tocchet has shown in him that he’s a full time Vancouver Canuck next season.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I think Silovs definitely could, if not already has, play/played himself into replacing Desmith as the backup next season. Silovs is likely able to be signed for Desmiths current 1.8M cap hit or less for at least 2 years which is tidy cap work at worst.

I don't see Silovs challenging Demko anytime too soon, but if anything what Silovs has shown so far in the playoffs could be a true blessing for the Canucks; that he's a legit goalie who can thrive in big games and high pressure situations. He's got some room still to grow and I think he could take on a bigger workload than DeSmith did, which at this point might be a necessity with Demko's current health and injury history. Now idk if he'll be able to do that as early as next season, but if Silovs can come in and be a quality backup/tandem goalie who can come in and play a meaningful amount of quality games to alleviate the workload from Demko, I think you'll be able to reduce Demko's injury risk while likely also getting the best out of both goalies, hopefully ending up with an Ullmark/Swayman or Hill/Thompson type of tandem.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Which member of the Canucks organization is on record as saying that?
I think the poster might be right......Silovs wasn't even on their radar at all, until he came up with a heroic effort for an outmatched Latvia team in one of the World Jr. Hockey Championships.

He was facing 40-50 shots a night; and keeping Latvia in a lot of games they had no business being in. Then it was on to Barrie in the OHL where he faced another barrage of shots.

I guess what doesn't kill your career, makes you stronger. The thing that impresses me is his battle level. He just never gives up on a shot. It's a quality you love to see. And maybe the high volume of quality chances he faced earlier in his career have helped define who he is.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Reminds me of bubble playoffs when demko had a couple of good playoffs games and fans ran markstrom out of town.

Hopefully silov can continue on his streak and demote demko.
That wasn’t the case. Demko from Day 1 was being developed as the goalie of the future. Markstrom by then was 30 years old and a pending UFA. From what I remember, most of us here wish Markstrom was under contract for another year but not for 6 more.
Which member of the Canucks organization is on record as saying that?
I believe it was Judd Brackett.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I learned two things today.

DeSmith was in the net for that bronze medal game vs Latvia.

Silovs is 6'4 200 lb and is bigger than Demko.

Reactions: PavelBure10

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
With DeSmith, you have to admire the efforts and applaud the victories that he manages to grind out, but there is almost no chance we're going on a deep run with him.

With Silovs, it's also very unlikely, but there's a chance that he transforms into something worthwhile over the course of this, IMO.
You’re just brimming with optimism. It’s very refreshing.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You’re just brimming with optimism. It’s very refreshing.
Don't really care about being optimistic or pessimistic, personally. I hope they do well, but I don't want that to influence my perception/expectations.

Just wouldn't feel honest to say that we're "likely" to go on a deep run without Demko. I mean, come on, if we go on a deep run with Silovs, it could only be characterized as an over-performing surprise run, not "expected" by any stretch.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still hate Benning for pushing him out due to his ego.

It's no surprise that the Wild have a top 10 prospect pool in the NHL.

This is a Silovs thread but I feel like posting about this topic again...

From the little I know, I do like Brackett and his approach to the draft process and I do think he has an eye for talent. With that said, talk is cheap and he's probably overrated by many here.

Look at his drafts. Let's start with 2017 where Linden reportedly gave the scouts the autonomy to draft. The Canucks had Petey and Makar #1/#2. Awesome work. What came after? Lind and Gadjovich? Gadjovich has surprisingly stuck in the NHL so he's definitely not a bust and Josh Brook (who certain poster(s) raged about bypassing) didn't amount to anything either. I like the Dipietro and Rathbone picks but we didn't get much out of that draft aside from Petey.

2018 many posters felt that previous management had tunnel vision for Hughes but I assume Brackett would be on board. Who came after? Woo was Brackett's pick. Romanov went right after. We heard on the behind the scenes video that it was Woo or trade down for Brackett. There were some decent Dmen drafted later in the 2nd round as well. Woo wasn't a suprise faller either. I have no issues with the Madden pick. Coincidentally, Minnesota drafted Dewar later in the round.

2019, Pods was also Brackett's pick. Some here think that previous management would have vetoed Brackett had Broberg been available but he wasn't and Brackett made the call to pick Pods. I'm a fan of Pods but Boldy and Caufield were available. Who came after? Well previous management reportedly moved Hoglander up the list and some believe they had "stripped Brackett of his authority." We picked up Silovs later in the draft but it doesn't look like we'll get anybody else.

Point is that our Brackett run drafts haven't been that great. Our OHL scouting has also sucked under Brackett even though his right hand man was our top OHL scout Palango.

And what did Brackett do in Minnesota? Rossi showed this year that he isn't a bust, but Jarvis and Lundell were available. In the second round, Minnesota had two 2nd round picks and didn't select Minnesota's own Brock Faber. Later drafts are a bit too early to draft. They did trade up to draft Wallsteadt when Wyatt Johnston was still available. I don't think Minnesota regrets that decision but I think you get the point.

And of all the talk about autonomy, maybe autonomy really was just about a seat at the table and not about some principled approach to drafting. In last year's draft, the Wild admitted to bypassing a more skilled guy in the draft. Brackett defended the pick by saying ""Just having someone higher on our list doesn't necessarily mean they're the right fit for us." How would you have responded if Benning said that?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This is a Silovs thread but I feel like posting about this topic again...

From the little I know, I do like Brackett and his approach to the draft process and I do think he has an eye for talent. With that said, talk is cheap and he's probably overrated by many here.

Look at his drafts. Let's start with 2017 where Linden reportedly gave the scouts the autonomy to draft. The Canucks had Petey and Makar #1/#2. Awesome work. What came after? Lind and Gadjovich? Gadjovich has surprisingly stuck in the NHL so he's definitely not a bust and Josh Brook (who certain poster(s) raged about bypassing) didn't amount to anything either. I like the Dipietro and Rathbone picks but we didn't get much out of that draft aside from Petey.

2018 many posters felt that previous management had tunnel vision for Hughes but I assume Brackett would be on board. Who came after? Woo was Brackett's pick. Romanov went right after. We heard on the behind the scenes video that it was Woo or trade down for Brackett. There were some decent Dmen drafted later in the 2nd round as well. Woo wasn't a suprise faller either. I have no issues with the Madden pick. Coincidentally, Minnesota drafted Dewar later in the round.

2019, Pods was also Brackett's pick. Some here think that previous management would have vetoed Brackett had Broberg been available but he wasn't and Brackett made the call to pick Pods. I'm a fan of Pods but Boldy and Caufield were available. Who came after? Well previous management reportedly moved Hoglander up the list and some believe they had "stripped Brackett of his authority." We picked up Silovs later in the draft but it doesn't look like we'll get anybody else.

Point is that our Brackett run drafts haven't been that great. Our OHL scouting has also sucked under Brackett even though his right hand man was our top OHL scout Palango.

And what did Brackett do in Minnesota? Rossi showed this year that he isn't a bust, but Jarvis and Lundell were available. In the second round, Minnesota had two 2nd round picks and didn't select Minnesota's own Brock Faber. Later drafts are a bit too early to draft. They did trade up to draft Wallsteadt when Wyatt Johnston was still available. I don't think Minnesota regrets that decision but I think you get the point.

And of all the talk about autonomy, maybe autonomy really was just about a seat at the table and not about some principled approach to drafting. In last year's draft, the Wild admitted to bypassing a more skilled guy in the draft. Brackett defended the pick by saying ""Just having someone higher on our list doesn't necessarily mean they're the right fit for us." How would you have responded if Benning said that?
Don't want to derail the thread too much but you're forgetting he was the brains behind the Boeser and Demko picks as well.

He was an expert in US scouting, particularly the NCAA guys.

Losing the guy who was mostly responsible for bringing us Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko was a huge blow IMO.

I have not liked the Canucks drafting since he left (I didn't love the Podkolzin pick either to be fair).

As for the comments, if management or staff have proven enough competency, I don't mind giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Benning of course was so far in the other direction that it was safe to assume that anything he did was probably the wrong move and needed evidence to prove otherwise.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Demko, much like Markstrom... and much like all the big body goalies these days... just can't handle a heavy workload.
Teams are going to have to realize that the position is changing and that you can't save cash by skimping on your backup goalie.
It's a tightrope to walk, though, giving your guys enough starts to stay sharp, but not enough to break down. Not to mention that starting goalies have starting pitcher mentalities, wanting and needing to play.
Hopefully, the Canucks can find a balance and Silovs can be a 1B type next year, starting 30+ games.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I know it wasn't Benning (idiot) who made the call on this kid, but a nice find by whoever it was. Lots of late round goaltenders in the league starting or part of a good tandem. Look at Boston, Swayman was a 5th rounder and Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Connor Hellebuyck was a 5th rounder. Juuse Saros was a 4th rounder. Shesterkin was a 4th rounder. Logan Thompson in Vegas wasn't even drafted, I don't think? Hopefully they've got a good one with this kid.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Never seen this picture
FytTGyGaMAEBbjK

Reactions: Jyrki and Nopefully

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to think that goaltending is a little overrated in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It seems every year now, a team is winning it all with some pretty pedestrian goaltending.

The Vegas Knights took home the Cup last season with the goaltending tandem of Logan Thompson and Aiden Hill......both journeyman goaltenders before they landed in Vegas.

Colorado won a Cup with Darcy Kuemper carrying the load....and you look around the league today, and there's some fairly unheralded goaltenders who are carrying their teams.

Sometimes it's just a case one guy getting hot at the right time. After all, if you win 16 playoff games, you win it all.

So while clearly Demko is still a better goalie than Silovs over an 82-game schedule.....in the playoffs, just about anything is possible.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I'm beginning to think that goaltending is a little overrated in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It seems every year now, a team is winning it all with some pretty pedestrian goaltending.

The Vegas Knights took home the Cup last season with the goaltending tandem of Logan Thompson and Aiden Hill......both journeyman goaltenders before they landed in Vegas.

Colorado won a Cup with Darcy Kuemper carrying the load....and you look around the league today, and there's some fairly unheralded goaltenders who are carrying their teams.

Sometimes it's just a case one guy getting hot at the right time. After all, if you win 16 playoff games, you win it all.

So while clearly Demko is still a better goalie than Silovs over an 82-game schedule.....in the playoffs, just about anything is possible.
I feel like Colorado is the only cup winner in recent years that fits this theory though. And even then I think Kuempers play in that run is a bit underappreciated, he was playing quite well until he took a stick to the eye and after that he played fine with only an eye and a half. Every other other cup winner since 2018 has had either an elite goalie or a goalie on a total heater like Vegas with Hill last year. Goaltending is still the most important position imo and the better your goalie the better chance you have to win every game, very very few teams are as stacked or well built as the 2022 Avs.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad