Speculation: 13th Overall Pick Prediction

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take at 13?

• Nobody, we trade it

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yakemchuk

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Catton

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Perekh

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Dickinson

• Helenius

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Hage

• Letourneau (6’7)

• Iginla

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Silayev

• Solberg

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Eiserman

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Bransegg Nygard

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Cherbyshov

• Jiricek

• Other

• Total voters

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
His skillset imo, and ceiling is just a lot lower than someone else who’d be available at 13. In this case, you’re passing on Eiserman, MBN, and Parekh even though they have much higher ceilings and better toolbox’s. Trading back in a draft like this would be a massive gamble.
I like Chernyshov’s ceiling more than MBN’s. The high floor is why you take an MBN

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
If we're picking from that third group, Konsta Helenius is an intriguing choice. Good hockey IQ, not a lot of outright pace but he's got nice agility, and a good shot. Knack for finding himself in the right place at the right time too, and carries pucks into the zone. In that sense, he's got potential as a play driver and while good with passes, can and will shoot the puck too. Add willingness & ability to play a two-way game and you've got a solid prospect indeed.

As for stats, he had 14 goals and 22 assists for 36 points in 51 games vs. men, and went PPG in playoffs. Not small either: 5'11" but solid build at 190lbs with room to grow, Nordics mature later anyway. His brother is listed one inch taller if we're doing that whole tinder hardline thing about size. Regardless, he's a solid prospect that I reckon could very well mature into a solid top-6 player.

That said, I'm not entirely sold on him. To me, he just lacks a bit of that IT-factor. I'd be more worried if we were at Rossi range; at #13 you won't find many players who lack downsides. I'm just afraid that he might turn into a middle-six contributor instead, though that depends on how he develops of course. Needs that Granlund skating training and extra muscle, at which point he will become a contributor. We might kick ourselves if we don't pick him, but I know some people here won't like the pick if we do. Another mid-sized Euro skill forward to add into our stockpile of mid-sized Euro skill forwards might be a bit much, even if one should always pick BPA.

My pick? Perhaps ironically, it's the guy who's polar opposite of Helenius: Not a noted two-way player, definitely not a play driver, and someone who does have a single defining attribute that will make or break his game.

That's right, I'd grab Cole Eiserman.

He's been debated endlessly, nitpicked even. He's a scorer at Jr. level, but not much else. He doesn't play defense. He lacks effort. He can score vs. bad goalies. He's a power play merchant who doesn't contribute 5 on 5. He'll be another Wahlström, another junior scorer who just failed to take the step.

I believe in him, however.

Furthermore, I think he's exactly what this team needs at this point in time. No, he's not a right-shot defender positionally speaking, but it's not like one is bound to fall on our laps. He's someone who can finish the plays others start, and who is always a threat in the offensive end.

The main question to me is not even whether he can take the next step, but whether he falls to us.

Now, purely vid-watching, game-watching, and couch-coaching (a fun phrase, that)? I'd like them both, please. Ideally, on the same line. Stylistically they're a fit, a pairing which should working. Having said that, I feel like it takes something asinine (like trading Rossi, sigh) to acquire another 1st so out of the choices we have that are realistically presented, Eiserman please.

If both options file, f*** it, grab Solberg and hope he turns into Scandella 2.0.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we're picking from that third group, Konsta Helenius is an intriguing choice. Good hockey IQ, not a lot of outright pace but he's got nice agility, and a good shot. Knack for finding himself in the right place at the right time too, and carries pucks into the zone. In that sense, he's got potential as a play driver and while good with passes, can and will shoot the puck too. Add willingness & ability to play a two-way game and you've got a solid prospect indeed.

As for stats, he had 14 goals and 22 assists for 36 points in 51 games vs. men, and went PPG in playoffs. Not small either: 5'11" but solid build at 190lbs with room to grow, Nordics mature later anyway. His brother is listed one inch taller if we're doing that whole tinder hardline thing about size. Regardless, he's a solid prospect that I reckon could very well mature into a solid top-6 player.

That said, I'm not entirely sold on him. To me, he just lacks a bit of that IT-factor. I'd be more worried if we were at Rossi range; at #13 you won't find many players who lack downsides. I'm just afraid that he might turn into a middle-six contributor instead, though that depends on how he develops of course. Needs that Granlund skating training and extra muscle, at which point he will become a contributor. We might kick ourselves if we don't pick him, but I know some people here won't like the pick if we do. Another mid-sized Euro skill forward to add into our stockpile of mid-sized Euro skill forwards might be a bit much, even if one should always pick BPA.

My pick? Perhaps ironically, it's the guy who's polar opposite of Helenius: Not a noted two-way player, definitely not a play driver, and someone who does have a single defining attribute that will make or break his game.

That's right, I'd grab Cole Eiserman.

He's been debated endlessly, nitpicked even. He's a scorer at Jr. level, but not much else. He doesn't play defense. He lacks effort. He can score vs. bad goalies. He's a power play merchant who doesn't contribute 5 on 5. He'll be another Wahlström, another junior scorer who just failed to take the step.

I believe in him, however.

Furthermore, I think he's exactly what this team needs at this point in time. No, he's not a right-shot defender positionally speaking, but it's not like one is bound to fall on our laps. He's someone who can finish the plays others start, and who is always a threat in the offensive end.

The main question to me is not even whether he can take the next step, but whether he falls to us.

Now, purely vid-watching, game-watching, and couch-coaching (a fun phrase, that)? I'd like them both, please. Ideally, on the same line. Stylistically they're a fit, a pairing which should working. Having said that, I feel like it takes something asinine (like trading Rossi, sigh) to acquire another 1st so out of the choices we have that are realistically presented, Eiserman please.

If both options file, f*** it, grab Solberg and hope he turns into Scandella 2.0.
Thanks for the report on Helenius. One thing that I have heard about him that I like, a lot, is that he is a very smart player. "Like having another coach on the ice" is how one scout put it. Seems to make the right play at the right time. He doesn't seem to have a weakness, except perhaps that there is no obvious physical tool (size, shot, speed) that is outstanding.

I'd be fine penciling him into our lineup as a middle six player for the next 7-10 years. He is already significantly bigger, stronger, and faster than Granlund or Rossi, so even is the skill isn't up to their level he can contribute in other ways. From what I have seen, he has enough skill to put the puck in the net, and is a decent passer. I can see him him being a less nasty, more skilled Hartman, capable on both the wing and at C.

Eiserman... don't know what to think. Last year at this time i would've lost my mind if i thought we had a chance to draft him. Right now, however, his stock is about as low as it can get. Couple of things in his favor is that he is very young(AUG 29 bday), 11 months younger than Yakemchuk, so you can forgive some of the immaturity in his game and expect more growth. He is also going to good college program, and seem to have a good family situation. I am not sure that he is the brightest bulb, but hey, it's hockey, and he's a wing. You don't have to be a genius.
He's a decent skater, has decent size, and a cannon. If he can get coached up in college then he might be a 30g scorer for years in the NHL.

I would rather have Sennecke, Helenius, or Yakemchuk, but i won't riot if we take a chance on Eiserman.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
At some point you have to take a chance on upside. Bellows and Wahlstrom are cautionary tales, but also didn’t score to nearly the same degree as Eiserman. If he’s going to score 30-40 in the NHL, I can live with the warts at pick 13.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At some point you have to take a chance on upside. Bellows and Wahlstrom are cautionary tales, but also didn’t score to nearly the same degree as Eiserman. If he’s going to score 30-40 in the NHL, I can live with the warts at pick 13.

Think I'm probably coming around to it. My philosophy at this point is that I don't really care who we take because I don't really like any of the guys that will realistically be available there. My first choice is still trading the pick for McGroarty but short of that I'll just be hoping this first round pick is a better one than Stramel.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Think I'm probably coming around to it. My philosophy at this point is that I don't really care who we take because I don't really like any of the guys that will realistically be available there. My first choice is still trading the pick for McGroarty but short of that I'll just be hoping this first round pick is a better one than Stramel.
I still think the Jets would rather get a current contributor if they can.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Yeah really screwed the pooch. Even picking 12 changes my perception of the situation, but we easily could’ve been picking 9th. Stupid winning

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah really screwed the pooch. Even picking 12 changes my perception of the situation, but we easily could’ve been picking 9th. Stupid winning

It's situations and years like this that really take their toll on you as a fan. When you get a high draft pick and a great prospect you have a lot of hope for the future that keeps you actively involved. When you're winning in the playoffs it's the idea that you could make a run or potentially win a Cup.

When you're doing neither, repeatedly, for years at a time, it's not fun. That's why a tank crowd exists.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I'd say pick the guy that is most likely to actually show up and join the team as fast as possible.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He's a decent skater, has decent size, and a cannon. If he can get coached up in college then he might be a 30g scorer for years in the NHL.

Thing is... I see his upside at 50, and regular production closer to 40 than 30. His shot and knack for finding free ice is that good.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point, i am relying on at least one team, if not two, to go off the board before us.

Thing is... I see his upside at 50, and regular production closer to 40 than 30. His shot and knack for finding free ice is that good.
Maybe...i could see a guy like Rossi being able to find him on a regular basis.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's situations and years like this that really take their toll on you as a fan. When you get a high draft pick and a great prospect you have a lot of hope for the future that keeps you actively involved. When you're winning in the playoffs it's the idea that you could make a run or potentially win a Cup.

When you're doing neither, repeatedly, for years at a time, it's not fun. That's why a tank crowd exists.
I'd say we came out of this pretty nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad