Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
We'll see what he does with us in a yr or two...
But what a highlight to have in your back pocket for the rest of your life.... Scoring the Overtime winner to eliminate Canada!

Good on the kid..

I need canucks.com to do an extra special feature on him and DiPietro during this year's summer camp. Three legged race partners, same Grouse Grind group, everything.

Reactions: lindgren

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Another article abundant with doouubble constonannttss and voooweels for you to enjoy. ;)

Nuorten Leijonien yllätysratkaisija osui makeimmalla hetkellä: "Olihan se valtava maali"

Young Lions' suprise scorer hit the target at the sweetest time: "It definitely was huge"

Toni Utunen of Tappara is a player who answers the call when the team needs it the most.

Toni Utunen, 18, belongs to the category of hockey players who rarely shines in the headlines. It is as equally rare to find him topping the statistic charts. Nevertheless Tappara's Utunen is a player who is a trusted regular for the national u20 team's coach Jussi Ahokas.

Utunen has shouldered notable responsibility for the penalty kill, and in the crucial match against Canada Utunen was regularly playing against the home team's dangerous first line.

During the Camp on the eve of the tournament, against team Denmark, Utunen wore the C on his chest.

"Utunen is a safe choice for the coach. He skates well and is excellent in his own end. And even he's an underaged player in this team, one can find leadership quality in him. It shows through example. He carries himself and his game with great quality", head coach Ahokas praises.

Utunen played for LeKi last season in Mestis league, and has played for Tappara. The role in the team's strong lineup has remained sheltered so far.

"My guess is that if Toni played for some other team in Liiga, he'd see the ice more often. Tappara's roster doesn't make it easy to earn extra minutes, but Utunen has remained in the lineup regardless. A kid with a strong head", says Ahokas.

A mentally strong and determined is definitely the definition for Utunen.

Tampere - a new home

Utunen's determination and will to develop surfaced several years ago. Born in Kokkola and raised by [team] Hermes, Utunen decided to move to Tampere at the age of 12 to pursue his path in hockey. His family never obstructed him in his search for quality coaching.

Quite the contrary.

Utunen moved to Tampere with his father while his mother and sisters stayed behind in Kokkola.

"My folks were ready to invest in for me to jump in the greater circles. Tampere seemed like the optimal destination to find top end coaching. Tampere is also a convenient centre in finland as well. A good choice all around." Utunen remembers.

It wasn't easy for one in primary school to leave half of the family behind.

"It was a big deal, although I didn't think or realise it fully back then. Lately it has dawned on me more. I want to be really thankful for them. We had it rough financialy but my parents wanted to help me." Says Utunen.

After six years in Tampere Utunen calls Manse [nickname for Tampere, refers to Manchester in the UK - similar in industry atmosphere] his home and Tappara his team. Known as a trustworthy defenseman - thanks to his hard work ethics and quality coaching - he has climbed the ranks to a core defender in the national team, a regular in Liiga, and a draft pick for the Vancouver Canucks in the NHL.

"Tampere feels like home and I don't regret moving here for a second. Everything is high standard in Tappara. Training is really versatile and great quality-wise. I'm certain that fitness training is the best around. My goal for the next season is to be the first choice for Tappara."

There, when needed

in the ongoing tournament Utunen made the headlines on thursday against Canada. The yound defenseman scored in overtime, for the first time this season, enabling team Finland to advance. It is telling that this wasn't his first time.

When team Finland's u18 won the gold last year, Utunen scored his lonely goal for the tournament in semifinal's overtime. He's becoming a player who succeeds when the team needs it the most.

"I'm not sure why it's me in particular" Utunen smiled. "I try to play as relaxed as possible in games like these. I don't think about the stakes at all. Maybe that's the key in making the difference."

Utunen's goal in Vancouver couldn't be scored in any sweeter situation, since he has been drafted by the local Canucks team.

"It definitely was huge. I got to show that I'm not entirely barren with scoring. I hope to call this my home rink in the future."

"Beats Tampere for sure"

Utunen is not hesitant with NHL. He knows himself as well, that his play with the puck and his shot are areas for improvement before North-America becomes a reality. His first goal is to become a quality player in Liiga.

"I want to be a good all-around defenseman in the future, since I'm considered more of a defensive type at the moment. It'll happen with improvements to my shot and puckhandling. NHL is a dream I never dreamt of in Kokkola six years ago. I'm not planning to return here before I feel like I am ready for it."

Vancouver has charmed him these past weeks.

"I'd be thrilled to play here one day. It's an amazing place, now that I've seen the arena and the city. Beats Tampere for sure", Utunen laughs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Utunen was pointless in Finland's victory today, but a +3 looks good, for fans who don't hate the stat. Reports from those who saw the game?

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Utunen was pointless in Finland's victory today, but a +3 looks good, for fans who don't hate the stat. Reports from those who saw the game?
From what I recall he was pretty unnoticeable, but I guess when talking about a player like Utunen, it's a good thing. Finland was dominating and had the puck control pretty much the whole game, so the forwards and more offensively oriented defensemen had the spotlight. In the first intermission there was a short piece on Utunen on the Finnish broadcast, I could transcribe/subtitle it if there's any interest.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
From what I recall he was pretty unnoticeable, but I guess when talking about a player like Utunen, it's a good thing. Finland was dominating and had the puck control pretty much the whole game, so the forwards and more offensively oriented defensemen had the spotlight. In the first intermission there was a short piece on Utunen on the Finnish broadcast, I could transcribe/subtitle it if there's any interest.

Yes, please.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Played topnpair minutes in the final
Steady stay at home D
I think he is a legit prospect

Do you (or anyone else) have ice-time stats? It'd be interesting to review Utunen's TOI over the course of the tournament.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
was very surprised he went so late, glad we seem to have a legit prospect here

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
was very surprised he went so late, glad we seem to have a legit prospect here
Yeah reading his prospect thread in the main prospects forum is encouraging. Was getting some hype PRIOR to the draft some wanting him close to the 1st round.

I suppose we have to be patient with him but progressing pretty well and most reports is his game translates very well to the new NHL focus on skating and getting the puck OUT of the zone in transition. He is a new age defensive defenseman if that makes sense

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah reading his prospect thread in the main prospects forum is encouraging. Was getting some hype PRIOR to the draft some wanting him close to the 1st round.

I suppose we have to be patient with him but progressing pretty well and most reports is his game translates very well to the new NHL focus on skating and getting the puck OUT of the zone in transition. He is a new age defensive defenseman if that makes sense

Utunen close to the first round? That’s crazy. I think 4th to 5th round was about right. He projects as a bottom pairing Dman in the NHL if he makes it and I don’t think anything has changed.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Utunen close to the first round? That’s crazy. I think 4th to 5th round was about right. He projects as a bottom pairing Dman in the NHL if he makes it and I don’t think anything has changed.

nah, there were people who had him as high as 2nd round

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I was at the gold medal game. I thought Utunen looked pretty good by eye.

If I had to describe him, I'd say he plays a reserved, steady, "new-age" game, if that makes sense. He doesn't do anything glamorous, but he is pretty effective at finding players for controlled zone exits. I thought he showed strong gap control against the Americans too.

He's a guy who would do well in a structured system (as the Finns were) rather than one relying more on speed/dynamism.

Reactions: Nomobo and lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

If I had to describe him, I'd say he plays a reserved, steady, "new-age" game, if that makes sense. He doesn't do anything glamorous, but he is pretty effective at finding players for controlled zone exits. I thought he showed strong gap control against the Americans too.

He's a guy who would do well in a structured system (as the Finns were) rather than one relying more on speed/dynamism.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

Pretty much what I was expecting from juolevi lol
Only difference is he is a late pick and is breaking expectations. Anyways, thanks for the info.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
nah, there were people who had him as high as 2nd round

That would bave been clearly a huge and unreasonable reach. Don’t get me wrong, I like Utunen and like many here thought he was a good pick. But I think most would be pretty mad if the Canucks used a 2nd round pick to draft Utunen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad