Prospect Info: 12th Overall 2024 Draft, LHD Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
on a quick decision like this billy has to trust his gut. IF there were 2 D available when philly was picking do you stick & pick?

I would have if it was both Dickinson and Buium, can't really go wrong with either imo

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Off the top of the head, pick the top 10-20 defensemen in hockey right now. Doesn’t seem like Canadian Junior players dominate that list but they do during drafts. I don’t think the defenders that went before Buium could do what he just did in the NCAA.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Off the top of the head, pick the top 10-20 defensemen in hockey right now. Doesn’t seem like Canadian Junior players dominate that list but they do during drafts. I don’t think the defenders that went before Buium could do what he just did in the NCAA.

As a counter point. Canadian Jrs have a lot of quantity and it is easily scouted. These kids are being seen a year or two by scouts on the regular before they are draft eligible. This is simply due to the fact that the scouts are there to see the draft eligible players they want to look at. The CHL also plays a lot of games compared to the other leagues. It's just easier for them to get on to noticed than it is for a kid out in BFE Russia.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
As a counter point. Canadian Jrs have a lot of quantity and it is easily scouted. These kids are being seen a year or two by scouts on the regular before they are draft eligible. This is simply due to the fact that the scouts are there to see the draft eligible players they want to look at. The CHL also plays a lot of games compared to the other leagues. It's just easier for them to get on to noticed than it is for a kid out in BFE Russia.
Understand. I do think for defensemen it’s questionable if the CHL model helps them develop. Dominating teenagers and your age group is a far cry from challenging yourself in men’s leagues to prepare for what will happen at the next level on a shift by shift basis. For Dickenson and the kid who went to Calgary, what is another year (or two) in the CHL going to do to grow their game based on where they are today?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Understand. I do think for defensemen it’s questionable if the CHL model helps them develop. Dominating teenagers and your age group is a far cry from challenging yourself in men’s leagues to prepare for what will happen at the next level on a shift by shift basis. For Dickenson and the kid who went to Calgary, what is another year (or two) in the CHL going to do to grow their game based on where they are today?

Preaching to the choir with my opinions about the CHL and 18yo+ players. I still think it's the best pre-draft age league there is. It's even good for the majority (90%-95%) of the 18yo+ players. Most aren't going to play hockey except for beer league after they age out of the CHL.

It's the 5%-10% of the players that are too good for the league but are stuck there because they aren't NHL good. They end up stagnating. It's like they went to school, passed the class, and now they have to retake the same class again 2 more times before they can move on.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Preaching to the choir with my opinions about the CHL and 18yo+ players. I still think it's the best pre-draft age league there is. It's even good for the majority (90%-95%) of the 18yo+ players. Most aren't going to play hockey except for beer league after they age out of the CHL.

It's the 5%-10% of the players that are too good for the league but are stuck there because they aren't NHL good. They end up stagnating. It's like they went to school, passed the class, and now they have to retake the same class again 2 more times before they can move on.
For forwards who are going to need to score, I think there is something to be said for skill training and gaining confidence that CHL can help nurture. Defensemen and what they need to be able to do at the NHL level is a different story.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’m grateful to them, but Philly could look really dumb in a year or two if their gamble on Luchanko doesn’t pan out. I thought they should’ve tried to move up and snag Silayev. Good fit next to Drysdale and easy sell to get him over with Michkov coming

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m grateful to them, but Philly could look really dumb in a year or two if their gamble on Luchanko doesn’t pan out. I thought they should’ve tried to move up and snag Silayev. Good fit next to Drysdale and easy sell to get him over with Michkov coming
Maybe, but Luchanko is vg prospect. He could be this year's Seth Jarvis.

Briere did seem to have a deer in headlights look when it came to PHI's turn to pick. I wonder if they simply hadn't gameplanned a scenario where Buium would be available, and made a kneejerk reaction to not wanting a college kid after the Gauthier(he and Buium share the same agent) fiasco.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00