GDT: 12/2/2017 | Wings @ Canadiens | 7PM ET | FSD

Christien

May 1, 2010
Helen st James is actually asking tougher questions. Kronwall giving a standard half assed answer, HSJ goes "you said that last game, at what point is doing the same thing over and over considered insanity?"

Also "to be honest you said that last game and yet you look like you learned nothing, why?"

Wish more media would be like that, or that she would be tougher on em more often. These aren't exsct quotes, just trying to paraphrase
Good for her, it’s about time

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This team has given up 4+ goals in six of their seven losses. Holland deserves his fair share of criticism for various things, but no team in the NHL is this consistently worse than every team they play. Blashill will get canned at some point, but it's looking more and more like the roster is going to need scrubbed not just because it isn't very talented, but because they aren't showing up.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
10-1? Yeah blash is done. When was the last time the wings lost this bad? Even before blash was coach?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Not sure about the calls for Blashill's head, this is a manifestation of the talent in the roster that Holland built.

Sure it is. But when you follow up a lousy 6-2 loss in a must-win game to a team playing without its top two skaters on the second half of a back to back ... with this....

Detroit is mediocre. They're not awful. They should not be as bad as they were tonight.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Just tank, seriously. What's hilarious is we went and signed Daley so we wouldn't tank and actively not try to tank and we are just bad. My only fear now is us squeaking into OT ans shootout wins like last year and screwing up our chances at a high end pick. This draft is toooooo good to not nose dive into when we don't have a real team.

Reactions: TheMule93

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
This to me has all the hallmarks of a get the coach fired effort.

Exactly what I thought. to be completed dismantled after getting destroyed pretty much the last 4 games and you get blown out even worse? he has definitely lost the locker room

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
What I think is hilarious is media was saying how we're in playoffs, and 3rs in the division but 2 games later we are 25th in the NHL.

Our division has been awful and has masked how bad we actually are, and theses loses might help us long term to show we just aren't good enough. That cut and dry, so sell what pieces we can, and restart.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not advocating for Blashill to be fired, but if you're an organization that believes you have a chance to make the playoffs you have to make a coaching change now to try and save the save the season. Not sure if Todd Nelson can be the answer though. I really don't like any available coaches out there, either.

I don't think Darryl Sutter would come here, especially when the GM is probably not coming back next season.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not advocating for Blashill to be fired, but if you're an organization that believes you have a chance to make the playoffs you have to make a coaching change now to try and save the save the season. Not sure if Todd Nelson can be the answer though. I really don't like any available coaches out there, either.

I don't think Darryl Sutter would come here, especially when the GM is probably not coming back next season.

Sadly this is the problem, we have a big money roster but are bottom 7 team in the league. That's scary bad, and the teams down there with us all have big pieces for the most part to build around or don't have cap issues. To even have the thinking process we need to change coaches to make playoffs is absurd, I kmow its not what you are saying, but it's scary.

I am a watch every game I can when I'm not working kind of guy, but this season, this year, I'm not. There is nothing exciting besides 3 to 4 guys, I will be thrilled when we have young talent back on this team but right now it just isn't enough and watching games just reminds me how bad we are, how backwards our direction is, and every year is just 1 more year lost for Mantha, Larkin and AA

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sadly this is the problem, we have a big money roster but are bottom 7 team in the league. That's scary bad, and the teams down there with us all have big pieces for the most part to build around or don't have cap issues. To even have the thinking process we need to change coaches to make playoffs is absurd, I kmow its not what you are saying, but it's scary.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Red Wings aren't a great team, but they're not anywhere close to being as bad as they were tonight or over the past several games. They have a good enough roster to make the playoffs in the East, especially in the Atlantic division. Buffalo is rebuilding their rebuild. They aren't anywhere close to being competitive and will be running into cap problems as early as next season when Eichel's absurd contract kicks in. Same with Edmonton and McDavid.

TJ71

Dec 2, 2017
I got ran the Riot Act in another forum over 2 years ago for making the same suggestion I am going to make now. It finally seems everyone recognizes Holland is out of his depth in the cap era. When he had the ability to throw around more money (twice as much as a lot of teams) than any other GM, in the days the Wings were the Yankees of Hockey, he was able to appear as a superior GM. Of course this was prior to needing to develop our own player's QUICKLY, draft consistently well (remove Håkan Andersson and Detroit drafted pretty bad during the Holland era) and make sensible contract offers. This is where Holland is at his worst. He needs to go. It's time. It was time 3 years ago. I don't see it happening until the season is over, at best.

I have considered Blashill one of the worst coaches in the NHL since he was considered for the job. He's bad with veterans, and even worse with young players. If they had the option, the players we have that are currently considered the future of the Red Wings would bolt. AA is a perfect example. He already tried. And one of his main reasons is lack of playtime.

Blashill's tendency of continuously giving roster spots and more minutes over the last 3 seasons to players like Ott, Miller, Wilson, Booth, Richards, Erickson, the list goes on and on. First over Larkin. Then AA, Mantha and Frk. And now Svechnikov, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Rasmussen, Cholo, and even Givanni Smith (yes I realize he is not ready, may never be) just using him to make a point. The NHL, because of the salary cap, requires younger players to make the jump earlier than in the past. And Detroit (I assume this is also a Holland philosophy) is notorious for keeping young players down longer than other franchises. But the entire thought process of keeping young players down because there more likely to make mistakes than veteran players is something that has gone by the way side for the most part since the cap era began.

It actually only has a place if the team in question is a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. If not, then why did it matter keeping Mantha down an entire extra year, so those minutes could go to Steve Ott? At least Mantha presented the chance of doing something that might help you win, as well as acclimating him to the NHL sooner. Same with AA. Why did minutes continue to go to Drew Miller even after we were eliminated from the playoffs. Its just stupid thinking.

We are not a contender. Who gives a crap if we can possibly be good enough to get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs? It's either Stanley Cup Contender, or not! I'm in no way stating the younger players I mentioned would come in and turn this train wreck around. Not at all. But at least we'd see what we may really have in Rasmussen and Svechnicov. And can anyone argue that just trying some of our young defenseman could he much worse than what were seeing now?

The only team in the NHL that seems to have a rule that players must be 23 years old or older for their rookie season is the Detroit Red Wings. I know the only reason my interest in the Red Wings has increased is because of the fact that Mantha, Larkin and AA are finally considered the go to guys. Yet important minutes, game on the line minutes, still seem to be funneled off to Nyquist, Tatar and Abdelkader to often.

Blashill should be fired before our next game. As soon as Bert has His conditioning up to par he should be brought up, as should Svechnicov, Rasmussen and Cholo. Id actually love to see our top 3 Defenseman prospects come up and take a ride. What's it gonna hurt? Although I won't go as far as to say bring up Keith Petruzzelli. Don't wanna ruin the guy before he gets a chance to give it a go.

Too many minutes are going to ineffective players. Out of fear of making more mistakes. And this has been going on for several years while players with some potential either move on to other organizations or just sit and wait until they're in their early twenties before they're given a chance. And honestly why?

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridaCat

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Just want to ask anyone saying this is Blash, do you think that anyone could do it better? This team is devoid of talent. One of the top three young players is a man entering his mid 20s and is likely a .5ppg players. This team is amazing untalented outside of Larkin and Mantha. Like to the point its shockingly untalented.

Reactions: avssuc

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Helen st James is actually asking tougher questions. Kronwall giving a standard half assed answer, HSJ goes "you said that last game, at what point is doing the same thing over and over considered insanity?"

Also "to be honest you said that last game and yet you look like you learned nothing, why?"

Wish more media would be like that, or that she would be tougher on em more often. These aren't exsct quotes, just trying to paraphrase

Too late.
The horse is out of the barn.

You're not going to get a reasonable answer from a player who just got shellacked.

The time to ask questions was back when she was shilling for Danny Cleary's contract.

That's when MAYBE Holland might have been able to avert this impending disaster.

The derailment has been underway for five to seven years. To ask questions about it now, that the train has crashed, is stupid.

What do you think, Helene. Kronwall is old and broken. Jensen is not an NHLer. XO is probably not an NHLer either.
Zetterberg has hit that wall he probably should have hit a year ago.
Larkin and Mantha and A2 are decent young players, but they're not capable of driving the bus today - or maybe ever.

When you were cheering on the KFQ trade, and the Erik Cole trade and the Legwand trade and the Samuelsson and Cleary and Bertuzzi and Modano and Nielsen signings....that's when it was time to ask tough questions.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just want to ask anyone saying this is Blash, do you think that anyone could do it better? This team is devoid of talent. One of the top three young players is a man entering his mid 20s and is likely a .5ppg players. This team is amazing untalented outside of Larkin and Mantha. Like to the point its shockingly untalented.

I get that and no I don’t think someone else could make us a cup contender or even much of a playoff contender but the thing with me is that we literally never have support anywhere on the ice and that’s on blash and his system it’s ridiculous and the number 1 reason he should and needs to be fired

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Yes. Obviously this team could be better with better coaching.

Tonight wasn't about talent.
It was about a team that can't play hockey as a unit.

That's coaching.

They could fire Blashill tomorrow, hire a guy like Tippett and immediately be better.

Is that really a good thing for this team, long term?
This team should probably be between 18th and 23rd in the NHL.

I think Blashill will tank them down to about 27-29.

27-29 gets you a better draft pick.
But I wonder if turns a lot of the guys off of this organization.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, this teams only hope will be if the league or PA opts out of the CBA in 2019, and the next CBA offers another round of compliance buy outs. That'll give them their only real chance to pull the plug on the Nielsen albatross and any others still hanging around.

Also, I wonder if any team has a Scuderi like contract they can retain and offer for Daley. Guys now on pace to end the year with 0G 3A and around -30. The Witkowski signing has had more impact....

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't think a coaching change would do anything for this team.

Prime Scotty Bowman under the influence of that NZT drug from the movie Limitless would struggle to get this roster to the playoffs....

Reactions: avssuc

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don't think a coaching change would do anything for this team.

Prime Scotty Bowman under the influence of that NZT drug from the movie Limitless would struggle to get this roster to the playoffs....

No. Bowman always had a team playing well. His worst years were his first couple seasons. And they went like .500

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes. Obviously this team could be better with better coaching.

Tonight wasn't about talent.
It was about a team that can't play hockey as a unit.

That's coaching.

They could fire Blashill tomorrow, hire a guy like Tippett and immediately be better.

Is that really a good thing for this team, long term?
This team should probably be between 18th and 23rd in the NHL.

I think Blashill will tank them down to about 27-29.

27-29 gets you a better draft pick.
But I wonder if turns a lot of the guys off of this organization.
I think the bolded portion of concern (not just for you, but for fans in general) is significantly overblown.

To be blunt: either those players will hang in there long enough to see the rebuild bear significant fruit, or they'll get traded. And at this point, it's a pretty short list (Larkin, Mantha) of younger players that even have a ceiling worth worrying about in the first place.

Crash with Blash, be a seller, draft for skill, and hope you hit multiple times.

(I just hope they replace the GM soon enough that the new guy has time to thoroughly prepare for this draft, because if it's half as good as the hype, there's gonna be a lot of promising talent to evaluate.)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No. Bowman always had a team playing well. His worst years were his first couple seasons. And they went like .500
Bowman was the master at pulling the right strings, whether it be via a pat on the back or a kick in the pants. But as good as he was, I don't know that he ever had this particular combination of mediocre talent, lack of cap space, and lack of prospects. An interesting 'what if', though.

Reactions: rangersblues

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Blashills comments to Keating make me want to puke. He is probably my most hated person in the NHL. He truly disgusts me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad