OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Solved the trolley problem
5ftm3r.jpg

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I'm still fairly new to dog ownership (going f***ing great, by the way). I have only had my girl now 1.5yr and we've only had one other vet visit prior to today. That was two months after I got her in November, 2022.

For those more experienced, is this a somewhat normal yearly bill to expect?

Office Visit (wellness) - $69
Heartworm test - $55
DAPP + Leptospirosis Vaccine - $72
Canine Rabies Vaccine - $34
Bordetella Oral Vaccination - $36
Lyme Vaccine - $45
Bravecto Flea/Tick chewable Prevention Med (I bought a year's worth, 4 doses) - $321.40
Sentinel Spectrum chewable Heartworm Med (I bought a year's worth, 12 doses) - $244.56

$75 credit for buying both the year's worth of Bravecto and Sentinel medications.

Total - $801.96

Obviously I will likely not need the Heartworm test again, so long as I keep with her med. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but I wasn't quite expecting this cost either. I'm not complaining per say, but just wondering if this is a relatively normal yearly expense (excluding other reasons for needing to visit the vet)?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I'm still fairly new to dog ownership (going f***ing great, by the way). I have only had my girl now 1.5yr and we've only had one other vet visit prior to today. That was two months after I got her in November, 2022.

Heartworm test - $55
Lyme Vaccine - $45
Bravecto Flea/Tick chewable Prevention Med (I bought a year's worth, 4 doses) - $321.40
Sentinel Spectrum chewable Heartworm Med (I bought a year's worth, 12 doses) - $244.56

$75 credit for buying both the year's worth of Bravecto and Sentinel medications.

Total - $801.96

Obviously I will likely not need the Heartworm test again, so long as I keep with her med. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but I wasn't quite expecting this cost either. I'm not complaining per say, but just wondering if this is a relatively normal yearly expense (excluding other reasons for needing to visit the vet)?
Yeah that all sounds about right. It's some buillshit, eh?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Heartworm test - $55
Lyme Vaccine - $45

Total - $801.96

Yep, they rob us blind.

Also, get pet insurance. Well worth it. Doesn't cover that stuff above but it does cover injuries and what not.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

Heartworm test - $55
Lyme Vaccine - $45

Total - $801.96

Yep, they rob us blind.

Also, get pet insurance. Well worth it. Doesn't cover that stuff above but it does cover injuries and what not.

My dog's latest vet trip, which includes almost everything you listed, was around the same cost. He is 16 months, so I think it is just that age range for those vaccines. I use Simparica Trio for flea/tick/heartwarm. A year supply is about $400, so it is a little bit cheaper than what you described for the two medications you're using for the same job.

I agree 100% about the pet insurance. For $600 a year I have a deductible of $250 and then only 10% of the cost after that. A colleague told me his 4 year old dog has to have a surgery that is $6,000.00. That would have cost me a total of $1,450.00 and I'm willing to put out the $600 a year for that exact possible scenario.

As Rebel sad, that pet insurance doesn't cover those vaccines though, at least not without an add on. My Vet also offers a "Wellness Plan" that covers the vaccines and tests, but it was crazy expensive. I'd rather only do the tests when clearly needed, not just every year for a "health checkup".

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Yep, they rob us blind.

Vet also sold me on a $25 toothbrush kit with a poultry flavored toothpaste. The kit comes with a wand with two different style brushes on either end and then also a finger attachment thingy. I'll try it out.

I figured since I was already taking it in the ass a bit from the cost that the finger attachment was for me...

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
My dog's latest vet trip, which includes almost everything you listed, was around the same cost. He is 16 months, so I think it is just that age range for those vaccines. I use Simparica Trio for flea/tick/heartwarm. A year supply is about $400, so it is a little bit cheaper than what you described for the two medications you're using for the same job.

I agree 100% about the pet insurance. For $600 a year I have a deductible of $250 and then only 10% of the cost after that. A colleague told me his 4 year old dog has to have a surgery that is $6,000.00. That would have cost me a total of $1,450.00 and I'm willing to put out the $600 a year for that exact possible scenario.

As Rebel sad, that pet insurance doesn't cover those vaccines though, at least not without an add on. My Vet also offers a "Wellness Plan" that covers the vaccines and tests, but it was crazy expensive. I'd rather only do the tests when clearly needed, not just every year for a "health checkup".

Woof.

Pet insurance. Definitely a no brainer, which is probably why I didn't think much about it (derp!). For ~$600/yr or so that just makes sense.

My girl is very active, and the scenario you described is, as you also said, not anything I want to deal with either. We go hiking and running, and she begs to play fetch with my lacrosse stick basically nonstop. Supreme athletes need to be insured.

Thanks for the pro tips, and knock on the head. Duh!

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

The gator who was attempted to be brought into a Phillies playoff game is now missing. The owner was on vacation in Georgia and says it was taken. There is an official report of a hired trapper dispatched to handle a 'nuisance gator' and it was released into the swamp after being removed which may have been "Wally"

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE

The gator who was attempted to be brought into a Phillies playoff game is now missing. The owner was on vacation in Georgia and says it was taken. There is an official report of a hired trapper dispatched to handle a 'nuisance gator' and it was released into the swamp after being removed which may have been "Wally"

What we need is a reunion video a la Christian the Lion where Wally's owner and Wally rush towards each other to embrace...only to find a second too late it wasn't Wally and the owner gets dragged into the swamp and caught in a death roll.

What?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
As wild as it is especially from a starting point but once the gator was domesticated aren’t you doing it danger by releasing it back into the wild?
Oh, the gator's probably already dead, but I don't think the trapper in question would have been able to guess that this particular gator was an emotional support gator.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Heartworm test - $55
Lyme Vaccine - $45

Total - $801.96

Yeah that all looks right

Reactions: ybnvs

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Woof.

Pet insurance. Definitely a no brainer, which is probably why I didn't think much about it (derp!). For ~$600/yr or so that just makes sense.

My girl is very active, and the scenario you described is, as you also said, not anything I want to deal with either. We go hiking and running, and she begs to play fetch with my lacrosse stick basically nonstop. Supreme athletes need to be insured.

Thanks for the pro tips, and knock on the head. Duh!

We’ve had pet insurance on all of our dogs going back for a decade plus and I am in no way saying not to do it. It’s saved us money for sure. But you do need to know that most of them work differently from insurance for people in ways that matter.

For example, exam fees are often not covered depending on carrier and coverage. So for example, if we bring a dog in with a problem to our normal vet, we are not reimbursed for the $110 exam fee, but are for all of the tests that may be ordered. And most importantly, they usually operate on reimbursement. So for example, we had a dog who tore his ACL. The emergency exam fee (200ish) was not covered, but the testing they did that night was (600ish). Then the actual surgery was 5 or 6k. All of that had to be paid out of pocket. We were then cut a check for 90% weeks later.

I still got a 3DO in my attic. Worst use of birthday money/snow shoveling pay ever.

Sell it. They’re worth a couple hundred bucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad