OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

They have to have crazy money invested in politicians across the board to keep getting away with this.

It would have to be such easy public PR win as a politician(s) to really go after them & make a name for yourself otherwise.

I saw the headline earlier today and just assumed it was a shooting. That's absolutely crazy

• Wow
Reactions: ellja3 and trostol

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It is, but that is not the question.

Which volcano is objectively the best? In your subjective opinion.
Sorry - I saw this and just didn't have time to respond.

**I am not a volcanologist, and igneous petrology is its own study***

When it comes to volcanoes, there are two types that intrigue me the most, hot spot volcanoes and the decade volcanoes.

Geologists have a decent fundamental understanding as to what causes most volcanoes, usually two plates smash together, and the one with water goes under the one on land. The addition of water to the subsurface allows the rock to melt, then the less dense material (magma) travels upward toward the earths surface, eventually being ejected as lava. Hot spot volcanoes are completely different. They show up in the middle of plates and there’s no agreed upon reason as to why they do. Hawaii is an example of this, so is the Yellowstone caldera. These are really cool to me because geologist have no idea what’s going on with them/what caused the crust to weaken at that point.

The other type of volcanoes are the decade volcanoes. There are 16 volcanoes that have been identified as decade volcanoes that could potentially cause significant destruction and death were ever to erupt.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Another flight, another adventure. Three hours since I've boarded the plane and I'm still sitting on the runway in Chicago....

Air travel is a f***ing nightmare nowadays.

My wife was traveling back from El Paso last week and because her flight was delayed, she missed her connecting flight and ended up stuck in the Arizona airport for 8 hours overnight until she could fly home.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sorry - I saw this and just didn't have time to respond.

**I am not a volcanologist, and igneous petrology is its own study***

When it comes to volcanoes, there are two types that intrigue me the most, hot spot volcanoes and the decade volcanoes.

Geologists have a decent fundamental understanding as to what causes most volcanoes, usually two plates smash together, and the one with water goes under the one on land. The addition of water to the subsurface allows the rock to melt, then the less dense material (magma) travels upward toward the earths surface, eventually being ejected as lava. Hot spot volcanoes are completely different. They show up in the middle of plates and there’s no agreed upon reason as to why they do. Hawaii is an example of this, so is the Yellowstone caldera. These are really cool to me because geologist have no idea what’s going on with them/what caused the crust to weaken at that point.

The other type of volcanoes are the decade volcanoes. There are 16 volcanoes that have been identified as decade volcanoes that could potentially cause significant destruction and death were ever to erupt.

I do love this answer, but I need to know which specific volcano is the best. Gimme betting tips

Reactions: VladDrag

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Air travel is a f***ing nightmare nowadays.

My wife was traveling back from El Paso last week and because her flight was delayed, she missed her connecting flight and ended up stuck in the Arizona airport for 8 hours overnight until she could fly home.
Heading to Italy with the gf end of Sept into October....hopefully the air travel won't test my patience....

Reactions: ellja3 and VladDrag

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I hope I live just long enough to see one of the supervolcanoes erupt.
Well...I don't considering the Campi Flegrei is showing ominous signs of erupting again.....

Dwarfs the other volcanoes in Italy..

My uncle lives in the Naples area and I will be there in Sept to visit.

Last thing we both need or Italy/Europe is for that thing to blow..

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
**Not so humble brag incoming**

Today my abstract for a poster presentation was accepted at the National Ground Water Association Conference. It's in Burlington, Vermont September 23 and 24. It was my first abstract I've written during my professional career, so I'm pretty excited about it.

The title is :A Comparison of Geophysical Logs and FLUTe Profiles to Identify Preferential Flow Site Pathways
Congrats. Absolutely beautiful town to visit as well. Visited twice, early 70s and 2003..

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I've seen Kilauea erupting. That is enough for me.

Walked out towards the flow to the water and got close enough I felt the hair on my arms singe. No thanks don't need to be that close again.
Supervolcanoes are many times more powerful than Kilauea. If mt. Rainer goes off like it potentially could, you're talking about catastrophic death, and ash clouds that would remain in the earth's atmosphere for around a decade or longer.

A fun little video that shows some of the most powerful eruptions in earth's history.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Supervolcanoes are many times more powerful than Kilauea. If mt. Rainer goes off like it potentially could, you're talking about catastrophic death, and ash clouds that would remain in the earth's atmosphere for around a decade or longer.

A fun little video that shows some of the most powerful eruptions in earth's history.

Mt. Flahrfart and its eruption will make all of those look and sound like a pop gun...

Last edited:

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Since we seem to have some Volcano experts here, has there have been any talks/attempts to prevent them from exploding?

I have a project I love where students research natural disasters and try to figure out how to limit their damage. It is the ultimate cross-curricular activity. My favorite for stopping Volcano damage was to "Plug the hole", which is probably just going to make it worse. Most kids focus on how to limit the damage after they go off, such as directing lava low, containing debris with giant nets, and filtering the ash out of the air.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad