OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
This is bs...

Light up a quarter stick in their foul mouths...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember reading many moons ago when the Queen dies BBC was going to interrupt every channel with a broadcast and other ceremonial things would happen. Pretty crazy stuff. 72 years! What a legend

BBC was in mourning setup before she died, so that was a good indication she was on the way out.

Also the doctors saying they were "very concerned" about her health. As my English friend put it, when you account for medical understatement and then British understatement, it probably meant she was already dead.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Wise council I seek your thoughts. Been bugging me and just need to see another person's opinion.

So long story short my best friend pestered me about my birthday because I usually keep things low key and I don't really like celebrating it. He went through the craziest shit in his life ( I spent many phone calls and hours listening and talking; TLDR version his stepmom was battling through dementia and she passed), but he basically forgot to wish me a happy birthday. Normally I wouldn't make a big deal but the issue on my mind is that he pestered me about it and then nothing. I should just move on and not say anything right?
As someone who went through something similar except it was a home hospice situation, I wouldn't think too much into it. It's so mentally exhausting that it takes a while to get over.

The best thing you could probably do is invite him out to dinner and tell him it's 'for your birthday'. Downplay it and I'm sure he will realize that he forgot.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I remember reading many moons ago when the Queen dies BBC was going to interrupt every channel with a broadcast and other ceremonial things would happen. Pretty crazy stuff. 72 years! What a legend
I was in the car listening to the classical station on Sirius XM when all of sudden they played God Save the Queen/King. I figured that meant that she had passed so I switched to the BBC and it was just what you said- they said that they were doing a single broadcast for all their stations worldwide.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Looks like we're approaching the reign of King Charles.

Elizabeth has been Queen for all but 2 of the 72 years my father has been alive... I wonder how many British monarch changes will happen in the lifetime of my 4 year old...

Interesting thought exercise and frankly also an accident, it's my dad's birthday today, born 1954 and he has never seen someone else than Queen Elizabeth II rule. I wonder what it will mean for him. She's seen PM Churchill and PM Johnson. Thanks for putting the idea in my mind :)

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Interesting thought exercise and frankly also an accident, it's my dad's birthday today, born 1954 and he has never seen someone else than Queen Elizabeth II rule. I wonder what it will mean for him. She's seen PM Churchill and PM Johnson. Thanks for putting the idea in my mind :)
It’s wild to think about. She was queen for around 30% of American history. Her first prime minister and last prime minister were born over 100 years apart. Every single James Bond novel and movie debuted during her reign.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My great grandparents absolutely hated England & the Royal Family. They were of Irish descent.

In the 90’s when the Kennisington & Mayfair neighborhoods were predominantly of a Irish descent here in North/Northeast part of Philly the Irish bars & restaurants even the churches would have collections supposed to head back to Ireland for the efforts against England. :laugh:

It’s not really a thing anymore but the previous generations were pretty invested into the conflict between England & Ireland even if they were born in America.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
No idea what they do now, but the USSR used to have one TV and one radio station. When a Primier died they would stop programming and only play somber music. This was the way they first acknowledged their leader's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad