GDT: 10/4/24 Wild @ Hawks (reunion time) CHSN 7:30

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
7 goals for in 5 games...and no forward beat opposing goalie tonight..Nobody scores on a shotshot..the occasional goal crease goal as tonight on rebound off his firstcshot in close by Jones.

But ..nobody getting freehand scoring ona dot from mid range or londidtance.No screens..Little sustained possessions..

Minn looked FAST...Hawks liked Murphy slow..Hawks coukd not win pucks much ..chased more..and liked dis-jointedvoutbif sync.

Just akk bad..
Even Mrazek was putrid.

But..say tge excuses.. only pre-season...does not count.

But bad habits alk over the place by this team of mostly alk starter vets.

Not liking goid folks..

Looks like we shall be discussing the 2025 draft a lot...cause thebon ice product looks stinky...

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Very little execution, stagnant d-zone coverage with no pressure and no puck movement. The game has changed and the Hawks need to adapt or this will continue to be the case.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Against teams who do a decent job clogging the lanes the Hawks have no chance.

Too much heavy lifting in the neutral/defensive zone and when they actually turn the play around they're too slow to get ahead as the other team is already dug in with everyone in place. No one is making it easier for anyone else.

All the talk about "KD loves speed," ??

The forwards haven't developed any chemistry yet in regards to when they do get the chance to get set up. I saw better play along the walls for a few shifts tonight but 5v5 it doesn't lead to anything because no one is apt around the paint. A Bedard backhand in close isn't going to do it. His release hasn't taken the NHL by storm because it's never a surprise, the puck needs to be off his stick before it even gets to him to make it work at this level. He needs to be receiving the unexpected passes/bounces as much as he dishes them. Instead it's like "give the puck to Bedard and see what happens" while everyone else on the ice is ready for it.

We don't have the grind to get the tough goals. But we also don't have the transition to get the off the rush goals. And the players aren't working to each other's strengths.

Also, it looks like we'll spend another full season with Seth Jones as the PP1 QB. Him simply taking it to the net one time was a better move than a full year of a million of his pointless shots from the blue line.

Reactions: Pez68

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t think Luke’s the guy but this roster is bad.
I would never try to say otherwise. But the way they’re playing, they would legit be blown out by AHL teams. There are ceilings and floors for every hockey team. Luke has them at their absolute floor.

I’m not saying their ceiling is great or even good. But it is surely a hell of a lot better than what we are currently seeing. It’s not enough to not move on from a coach because the team is bad. The Sharks did it after one year, why can’t we?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Pez68

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Think it's pretty cool that the Hawks are letting all these sick kids play during all of their preseason games.

That's what's happening, right? This is a large scale make-a-wish sorta deal, right?!? No way we're actually paying these guys to go out there and play hockey.

Cubs2024wildcard

Korchinski for AHL All Star LOL
Apr 29, 2015
They gutted their team to get Bedard in the first place and were left with a trash prospect pool thanks to Bowman. You could argue they expedited their rebuild too much this offseason by adding Bertuzzi and Teuvo if this team is completely trash again with no improvements
Vlasic was a trash prospect?

The jury's still out on Reichel but not leaning positive while Allan will be a top 4 nhl guy.

Bowman picks.

Along with Cat, who was traded for nothing, and signed Hagel who was traded for nothing.

Bowman left this place in better shape then the current junkage that is the Hawks. Nazar and Bustchinski may very well be AHL all stars somewhere in their careers tho....

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Vlasic was a trash prospect?

The jury's still out on Reichel but not leaning positive while Allan will be a top 4 nhl guy.

Bowman picks.

Along with Cat, who was traded for nothing, and signed Hagel who was traded for nothing.

Bowman left this place in better shape then the current junkage that is the Hawks. Nazar and Bustchinski may very well be AHL all stars somewhere in their careers tho....
Oh, you’re back. Great.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I'm fairly confident that if this team is not progressing as much as KD would like, Luke won't be here any longer. It would not surprise me if Luke is gone before Christmas. #98 ⏰️ is ticking. He is not going to extend if the Hawks are not progressing.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
This is so dumb but Bedard switched from Bauer to Sherwood right before he entered the NHL (weird call) and I can’t help but wonder if that’s affected his release

He hasn’t really beat many goalies clean with that patented “toe drag release” and his shot was supposed to be his calling card

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Didn't think we'd be wild card contenders or anything, but this start is incredibly disappointing and discouraging for development.

0-5 preseason record, outscored 22-7, and outshot 171-115 so far with one more preseason to go.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This team is so bad and so far away from contending that I'm actively worrying that it's poisoning the well for Bedard being willing to sign on longterm.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
If we scored 25 goals and went 5-0 would you all be planning the parade?

No.

Why? Because it's just preseason. Relax!

This team will be noticeably better than last year.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Fortyfives

Jul 13, 2011
This team is so bad and so far away from contending that I'm actively worrying that it's poisoning the well for Bedard being willing to sign on longterm.

Well at least they made it hard to watch the hawks in the year 2024 so I’ll only watch a few nationally televised games this year.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I would argue that the Tuesday game was way worse than the 7-2 score would indicate but last night was better than 6-1. They didn't deserve to win but a goal at the end of a 4 minute penalty, a really weak goal from Mrazek, a 4-3 power play goal, then a weird bounce off Bedard's stick causing Vlasic to fall and it's 4-1 early in the 3rd period.

They definitely didn't deserve to win last night and I'm discouraged from what I've been seeing in the preseason but not panicking yet. They have a bunch of new guys who have not played together and it's going to take time for them to gel. What I can say is that last year, if Bedard wasn't on the ice, I knew nothing was going to happen and that even in these shit preseason games, I feel like something good can happen with any line on the ice.

I still like what Davidson is doing and I like Richardson too but if it's January and they're still getting blown out by fringe playoff teams, I'm thinking a coaching change will be needed.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
If we scored 25 goals and went 5-0 would you all be planning the parade?

No.

Why? Because it's just preseason. Relax!

This team will be noticeably better than last year.

This team doesn't get the benefit of the doubt of turning it on when the games matter with how bad they've been the last 2 seasons.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Onevof the Minnesota TV crew mentioned Bedard winning the Rookie ofvthe Year last season over Brock Faber and said he rightfully won it due to his impresdive scorong ...BUT he said the Bedard he has seen si far in pre-season looks like the -44 Bedard seen last seson..
Of course Bedard had a give-away that cost a goal and also had a Generational assist on a Minnesota goal as well last night..
Bedard has looked like the struggling Bedard of the last 14 games last season after coning back from injury..He has NOT looked special or improved.

Meanwhile Faber has looked fabulous not only agaibst yhe Hawks but all pre-season.

With Broberg as a d-pir they may now be the BEST d-pair in the NHL.

They dominate by stifking opposing offense and also contribute to the Minnesota offensive cohesion and explosive offense generated this seson.

Faber looks even better than last season.

Both the numbers Nd the eye test shows these 2 differing fortunes of FBer vs.Bedard thisvpre-sesson

Bedard wants to spend extra time after practices staying on the ice himself to work on things...but maybe LR should give homextra work as in some Bag skates..We may not get Generatuonal..but thiscyearctge kid gloves are off.he has to demonstrate improvement not regression or stagnation with bad habits and errors in games..Another -44would be unacceptable..

Maybe Bedard just cannt curb the defensive wies;but he must reduce that -44by st least better offensive production at 5×5 or 4x4..

As to the PP he should be a dominant force..but the PP efficiency thisbore-srasm is also i the tank...

In a 4x4csituation he should be guiding a Hawks attack threat...not chasing the puck hemmed in our own zone or contributing to opponent scoring.

In any case he Will get no mulligans this season..He needs to show improvement not stagnation or worse,regression.

I hope he has not already gone Country Club on us.

Frankly he has stunk as bad as most ofvthe other Hawks forwards this pre-season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Many blocked 20 Hawks shot attempts..Hawks blocked only 8 Minny shot attempts....Story of which team bought in even in"just a pre-season game"
. 1 team goidvhabits good results...otger team bad habits and bad resukts.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
This team doesn't get the benefit of the doubt of turning it on when the games matter with how bad they've been the last 2 seasons.

I don't think you understand that it's just PRESEASON. Not 1 player in the league has "turned it on" yet. Tirabassi needs to go cover golf.

90% of the players are just out there for a skate.

You judge NOTHING from preseason games.

Just don't get injured. That is most of the players mindset.

The cheques haven't begun to roll in yet. Players turn it on when that begins and the standings actually matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad