GDT: 10/4/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina [Preseason Game 6]

LordStanlersCup

Sep 6, 2024
What is the hype around Groshev based around? He's a few months away from turning 23 so not exactly some super young talent at this point, could never cut it in the KHL (which is of a significantly lower quality than a few years back), and his AHL numbers are nothing to write home about. Is there something behind his mediocre production that should be looked into?
I wrote about it in my prospect rankings, the tldr is just super limited ice time and poor deployment has severly limited his numbers

He's a main character right now. Playing on a line with Geekie has gotten him increased attention.

We don't really talk about Ylonen, Gauthier, or Goncalves. Gauthier can only go back to junior hockey. We're keeping him from an in-progress QMJHL season, so he must have some sort of shot.
I mean he was also tied for the most points in the prospect showcase last year and played well in the preseason then too

Reactions: Peacefool

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I still don't know what Sheary does that makes him successful in any facet of the game. I like Groshev, I have for a while. If he's not somebody you believe in, that's fine, but I don't see any positives whatsoever when it comes to Sheary. He wasn't just terrible last year because he was injured, or hit a cold streak. He was terrible because he doesn't do anything. He needs to shoot more, he needs to be willing to go to the dirt areas of the ice, he's actually a pretty good skater, but can you navigate the ice? Atkinson almost got rewarded for going to the net last night. Puck was sitting there in the paint for a moment or two. Sheary's not going to get those because he doesn't put himself in situations to even have that chance. It's in everybody's best interest that Sheary has a turnaround year, but through 5 preseason games, his play so far has indicated that he's likely more of the same we saw in 2023-24. And with 5 preseason games I'm not sure how to read into that. Is he fighting for a spot, or are they just trying to get him as many games as possible to get him going? We made a mistake with Namestnikov, and we moved on. We made a mistake with Jeannot, and we moved on. Namestnikov has been a better for Winnipeg, and I hope Jeannot gets it together with LA. If Sheary is moved but finds a better spot somewhere else, good for him, but I don't feel confident with him right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad