GDT: 10/29/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Rangers

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Said it before and I'll say it again: We're not really that talented.

We have 5 extremely skillful players, who are not always firing on all cylinders. After that, we are less talented than the majority of teams in the league.

We have to stop thinking that we have 'insane' amounts of talent. We don't.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
This team is giving me serious vibes of Guy Boucher after he lost the team.
Yep, I still remember Marty St. Louis just quit skating on a backcheck and that spelled the end of Boucher. Tonight it seemed like the few guys who were working hard would go to make a play and nobody else was there.

The part that's really like the end of the Boucher era is the players looking completely lost. Its like they are mentally stuck between the thought of "should I follow the plan that I know isn't going to work or should I just do my own thing."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Any positives from this one?
Vasy was playing lights out, Cernak looked like his old self, if you can forgive a lucky bounce off of Coburn the pk looked ok, and we got to see Witkowski play some d again, which is nice to know we still have that in our back pockets in case of emergency.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That 3rd period might have been the most embarassing period of hockey I've seen this team play. Massive amounts of turnovers, telegraphed passes getting cut off, failing to clear the zone, line changing with the puck going by you, 5 guys try to change at once and leave one side of the ice completely open. Wow.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Come on guys, it was obvious it was going to turn out this way. Guys didn't show up like they always do against what they consider bad teams.
We are gonna get the bye in the 1st round and then Coop's gone. Long season ahead.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Spot-on breakdown by Pete from BoltProspects.com:
I get that the Lightning were dealing with some injury issues, but they just got outshot by the Rangers 42-30 in a 60 minute hockey game. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard, and there’s already been too many occasions in this young season where the Lightning have put a half effort in against lower tier competition and gotten burned. A rebuilding club shouldn’t be able to do what happened tonight against the Lightning if the team was really focused and bearing down. Period.
NHL Game Night: 10-29-19 Lightning at Rangers | Bolt Prospects

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Consistency has definitely been an issue. Win, Loss, OTL, Win, Loss, Win, SO Win, Loss, Win, OTL, Loss. How's that for game-to-game consistency?

6 of the 7 games we've earned pts in have come against teams currently in a playoff position, so that's good, but losses like this and Ottawa, yeah not so much. This group is really being tested all of a sudden. Hopefully we can come out of it stronger.
Exactly. There is no consistency whatsoever. And I don't see any improvement either. We either get lucky, score a bunch and somehow win or we get outmuscled, outhustled, humiliated and destroyed. But win or lose, what we do on the ice always looks like crap most of the time. That's the real shocker. There is no structure, no precision. We are always chasing the puck, always a step behind.

And let's be honest here, since the sweep we are not the team to beat anymore. We're barely a .500 team right now. "For Ottawa / NYR / [insert lowly team] playing us is like their SCF, this loss doesn't mean anything" - stop it. Let's just admit that we got outplayed and beat fair and square. By a team that we should dominate, limit zone entries and scoring chances while spending two thirds of the game in their zone, shelling their goalie with prime scoring chances. No excuses.

And since you mentioned consistency, there is none:

1. Florida (good team): We win 5-2 but get outshot 37-30.
2. Florida (good team): We lose by a goal but outshoot them 35-28.
3. Carolina (strong team): We lose in OT but get outshot 44-13 with only 2 SOG (!!!) in the last 42 minutes of the game. Stamkos hints at a disconnect between coach and players after the game.
4. Toronto (strong team): We destroy them 7-3.
5. Ottawa (terrible team): We get dominated and destroyed, outshot 21-34, outscored 2-4.
6. Montreal (average team): We win 3-1 but get outshot again at 22-34.
7. Boston (strong team): We win in the SO, entertaining and even game.
8. Colorado (strong team): We get destroyed 6-2 while outshooting the Avs 46-24.
9. Pittsburgh (good team): Pens ice half their AHL team due to injuries. We barely win by scoring in the last minute of a tied game, but outshoot them 48-39.
10. Nashville (strong team): We lose in OT, get outshot 40-30.
11. Rangers (average/bad team): We lose 4-1, get outshot 42-30.

Record: 5-4-2
Goals: 35-36
Shots: 31.3 - 35.2
P%: 0.545 (3-way tie at 8th in the East)

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Stamkos and Palat are about the only players I see that really care. And Serge is getting better.
The rest? Just playing lazy, unmotivated hockey. I don't care what team is in front of them, if we gave a damn we are destroying teams and this only happened against Toronto after what was possibly the worst game of the decade.
This group of guys have lost the respect to the coach, to fans and to themselves.
A player with a winning mentality wants to win every game, not cherry pick which ones they want to win. We are going to get embarrassed more times this season, probably most of the times by BAD teams, and in the playoffs it will be the same old story.

Want to change that?

FIRE COOPER

Not saying all is his fault but we need new blood behind the bench to wake this bunch of lazy asses, since he clearly cannot do it anymore

Reactions: Kusic

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder for how long will JBB continue to just stand pat and watch this rollercoaster of performance. I mean, little changes can be made quickly like inserting Gemel Smith into the lineup to replace Carty V. The Alex Volkov callup is another example to inject some new blood and character into this team. I also wonder how often he talks to Cooper. I wonder whether JBB has marked a certain day on his calendar to take action if things don't come around by then.

Or is he too buying that crap of us reinventing our game. This bad excuse for playing like crap because we're focusing on "doing the little things right" instead of 60 minute domination. I hope not. This roster is too good to get outperformed, especially by teams like Ottawa or the Rangers. This team's core and coaching staff has been together for a long time now. They went deep into the playoffs several times. How come we have to fundamentally change our game now? If that's the case, isn't it like two or three years too late for that? What have they missed all these years?

I really don't get this team. They're saying the right things in interviews like they need to work on improving defensively, to give a hundred percent each night, to fight for pucks the right way, to be physical, to go into corners and in front of the net, to take shots instead of looking for the pretty play. That they have learned from last season and now know what needs to be improved and worked on.

And then you watch them get outworked and outshot by inferior teams while they lose assignments and get out of position, unsuccessfully chase the puck around and when they finally get a chance they shoot the puck into the opposing goalie's chest and take off to the bench. Don't they care anymore? Are we seeing a team sick and tired of the 82 game "chore" that is the regular season? Or is it complacency and arrogance? Or are they depressed? Have they lost faith in their ability and talent as individuals and as a team? Are they blaming each other? Do they despise Cooper and his staff?

Why aren't they pissed off, hungry and super motivated? I don't believe they're intentionally keeping the foot of the gas. If that's what they deduced from last season’s fiasco we're in trouble. We can't repeat 2016-17, jerking around and not giving a f*** for most of the season and wake up when it's already too late.

Last edited:

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
That 3rd period might have been the most embarassing period of hockey I've seen this team play. Massive amounts of turnovers, telegraphed passes getting cut off, failing to clear the zone, line changing with the puck going by you, 5 guys try to change at once and leave one side of the ice completely open. Wow.
This is a statement full of recency bias. Yes, it was an embarrassing period but I think the 3rd (and OT period) against the Hurricanes was more embarrassing... but yeah, it's all been bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad