Pre-Game Talk: 10/17 Sabres (5-1-1) @ Kings (2-4-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
These back to backs on the west coast are always brutal. Don't have a good feeling about this one, but hopefully Kruger can get the guys focused after a bad game last night. I think if they want to win this one they'll need a lead going into the 3rd and then just go into a shell and lean on Hutton. I hate that strategy, but the team will mostly likely be completely gassed towards the end of the game.

Last edited:

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
These back to backs on the west coast are always brutal. Don't have a god feeling about this one, but hopefully Kruger can get the guys focused after a bad game last night. I think if they want to win this one they'll need a lead going into the 3rd and then just going into a shell and lean on Hutton. I hate that strategy, but the team will mostly likely be completely gassed towards the end of the game.

I agree with you. Especially with LA being rested and in the middle of a string of home games. Buffalo is in a tough spot.

Buffalo is going to need to take control of this one early. Hopefully heading to the third up a couple so they can sit back if need be.

If they’re having to chase the game in the third, there won’t be much left in the legs to get it done.

That being said Anaheim is much better than LA. Buffalo should be able to take control of this game from beginning to end.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
These back to backs on the west coast are always brutal. Don't have a god feeling about this one, but hopefully Kruger can get the guys focused after a bad game last night. I think if they want to win this one they'll need a lead going into the 3rd and then just going into a shell and lean on Hutton. I hate that strategy, but the team will mostly likely be completely gassed towards the end of the game.

Good news is that LA has a pretty terrible, slow hockey team. Even if the Sabres legs are tired, this is still a team they should be able to handle without too much trouble.

Reactions: Fezzy126

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Game Preview: 10/17/19 at Los Angeles

Posted on October 17, 2019 by Ian Ott | Leave a comment

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

LAST GAME
Wednesday, October 16
Buffalo 2 at Anaheim 5
Goals: Eichel, Olofsson
Goalie: Ullmark (26 saves/30 shots)
PP: 1/7; PK: 3/4; Shots: Buffalo 33 – Anaheim 31

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 32)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (hip, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 7 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 7 games
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (hip; Oct. 3, injured reserve) – 7 games
Brandon Montour (hand, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 7 games
Conor Sheary (upper body, Oct. 9) – 4 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/13: Recalled F Curtis Lazar from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES

Saturday, Oct. 19: Buffalo at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 22: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 24: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 25: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 28: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at KINGS

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Kings this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Los Angeles 4-3 (OT) in Buffalo on Dec. 11, 2018.
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Dec. 21 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Kings; 3-6-1 on the road.
  • This is the 126th game all-time between Buffalo and Los Angeles; Buffalo has a 61-45-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 25-28-10 on the road against the Kings all-time.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Anyone else expecting Lazar? Or Sheary?

If Sheary's ready, I'm sure he'll be in. I could see Lazar coming in, too, just to get some fresh legs on the 2nd half of a B2B. Also a lot easier to make line-up changes when you're coming off a loss.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If Sheary's ready, I'm sure he'll be in. I could see Lazar coming in, too, just to get some fresh legs on the 2nd half of a B2B. Also a lot easier to make line-up changes when you're coming off a loss.

I can easily see Erod coming out for Lazar, but if Sheary also goes in, who else comes out? The way they elevate Vesey up the lineup at times tells me they like him more than the fans...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I can easily see Erod coming out for Lazar, but if Sheary also goes in, who else comes out? The way they elevate Vesey up the lineup at times tells me they like him more than the fans...

As weird as it feels to have a forward I'd rather remove from the line-up than Sobokta, Vesey is definitely the guy I'd bench. It's possible, if Sheary's ready, they just swap him back in for E-Rod and leave the rest of the roster alone. Also possible Sheary still isn't ready. Probably won't know until puck drop or shortly before since there's no morning skate.

Reactions: Fezzy126

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
There absolutely should be line up changes. Lazar should check in to give them some fresh legs and energy. I'd take Vesey out, but think it'll be Erod instead.

Not only that, I think it might be time to mix up the forward lines even more. Maybe try something like...

Skinner Eichel Erod/Vesey/Sobotka
Olofsson Johansson Reinhart
LOG
Lazar Mittelstadt Erod/Vesey/Sobotka

As much as Skinner and Johnasson is working, I don't think the top line has been so great at even strength. It might be time to put Skinner and Eichel back together, as Skinner seems to help Eichel drive play, no matter who is on the RW. Allow that second line to get easier matchups. I think Johansson and Reinhart are more than capable of driving play and allowing Olofsson to get open. That line could be quite dangerous, and wouldn't have top pairs suffocating them all game. I think all three of these guys are perfect second line guys and would be formidable.

The LOG line can stay intact of course. The true 4th line will again be a hodge podge of misfits and castaways. Perhaps they can do better with some fresh legs and someone with more of a grinder mentality.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought last night was Mitts best of the year, even better than the Pens game. I wouldn't mind seeing him draw more time on the wing up the lineup, either with Jack or MJ, in an offensive deployment at times. Olofsson is not converting 5-on-5, the breakaway would've been a nice kickstart there. I will again worry when that line isn't getting chances.

As for Vesey, last night may have been his strongest game in terms of puck involvement and he was still one of the guys who broke down on a goal against. He hasn't provided much outside of a warm PKing body with Vlad.

Lazar drawing in for ERod seems like an easy choice given how ERod didn't convert his chance and it seems the goal against were he let Henrique get past him put him on the bench.

And I'm having wicked deja vu. Perhaps it's the lack of sleep... :biglaugh:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I thought last night was Mitts best of the year, even better than the Pens game. I wouldn't mind seeing him draw more time on the wing up the lineup, either with Jack or MJ, in an offensive deployment at times. Olofsson is not converting 5-on-5, the breakaway would've been a nice kickstart there. I will again worry when that line isn't getting chances.

As for Vesey, last night may have been his strongest game in terms of puck involvement and he was still one of the guys who broke down on a goal against. He hasn't provided much outside of a warm PKing body with Vlad.

Lazar drawing in for ERod seems like an easy choice given how ERod didn't convert his chance and it seems the goal against were he let Henrique get past him put him on the bench.

And I'm having wicked deja vu. Perhaps it's the lack of sleep... :biglaugh:

I really didn't like Vesey's work on the forecheck, there seemed like there were many opportunities to apply pressure to the puck carrier and he chose to drop back into a more passive defensive position instead. It didn't appear to be a coaching thing, as other forwards in similar positions always seemed to attack the puck.

Again, this will be a common theme from me, but I wonder if this is just part of the adjustment period for him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really didn't like Vesey's work on the forecheck, there seemed like there many opportunities to apply pressure to the puck carrier and he chose to drop back into a more passive defensive position instead. It didn't appear to be a coaching thing, as other forwards in similar positions always seemed to attack the puck.

Again, this will be a common theme from me, but I wonder if this is just part of the adjustment period for him.

I have not been pleased with him in general. He's a 1A/1B with Vlad most nights as Mr. Irrelevant. For someone who is going to be UFA, he needs to get his shifts together and apply some energy to what he does. The book on him is that he gets to hard areas... let's see it. Get inside. Get to the net.

I think I would rather rail at Marcus Foligno not being able to convert but knowing he'll rumble up and down his wing and be a very good PK and defensive option than to watch Vesey. Saying it was Jimmy's best game is damning him with feint praise. There is still a long way to go to good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
both. And gilmour. Why carry fresh legs / extra bodies if you’re not going to use them?. Plus, after the Ducks game, I’m sure there are a few Sabres missing limbs, organs, gray matter, etc.

Make tonight’s game an audition for the SJS lineup.

Who comes out for Gilmour?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'll be there again tonight. I really hope Krueger gets these guys pumped up for tonight. I can't take another game like last night. The Kings are pretty terrible, but they can still score goals and have shown flashes where they look pretty good. They can also be physical, which is a problem for Buffalo. On the plus side, their D has been bad, and Quick has been brutal.

This is the type of game that will define the character of the team this season. Will they bounce back strong, or will they fold like last year?

BTW, I'd love to see Sheary and Lazar in for Rodrigues and Vesey

Reactions: brian_griffin

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Does Dahlin get a game off?

Not saying he should but I could see it. Very odd to take him off PP1 when they really needed a goal, hes their best point distributor
Krueger said in the post game presser they wanted to try a different hand up top (righty) to see if it could open things up and get them better looks. That it wasn’t a reflection on Dahlin’s play.

Reactions: CrazyPsycho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad