GDT: 10/15/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Vancouver vs Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Biggest thing is Vasy. Not holding my breath on routine plays anymore. He looks 100% back. That's a really big deal.

Team is playing with tons of poise. Starts with the defense. It's funny because the rest of the league doesn't know it, but despite losing Sergachev, our main improvement is gonna be on defense. They're just so calm.

It's the defense for me, Vasy is making routine saves and some but defense isn't scrambling around and losing coverage like they were all of last season.. That poised play leads to a lot less randomness and odd plays that just ended up in the back of the net last year. Team feels like it's back in 2020-2022 form, last year felt like every team was capable of coming back from 2-3+ goals against us at any given time.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Vasy is looking pretty damn good. Though we've been better about not giving up lots of chances, he's still facing quality chances every game and making it look pretty routine. No way JJ makes some of the saves Vasy's been making thus far.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Didn't get to watch live but watched highlights. Looks like Vasilevskiy is dialed in and Perbix is still turning the puck over. Good win of course, nice getting it done against a very talented Canucks team.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I haven’t been able to watch either but so glad hockey is back. What a play by kuch on the 1st goal and great pass from raddysh.

Like to hear all the positive reviews about girgensons so far. Always felt like he was a hell of player.. but can he switch numbers? I saw 28 on the ice and thought it was Ian Cole scared me when he touched the puck in the d zone at first

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Missed the game on Friday so this was my first look at the team this season and the biggest difference is clearly our defensive game and structure. Felt like there were a million odd man rushes for the other team every game last year. A lot probably has to do with the personnel changes there but they weren't nearly as much out of position as last year. Of course it was only one game but two goals allowed in two games against two pretty good teams tells me there's been changes for the better and I really hope so. It was torture last year watching this team run around like headless chickens.

Vasy also looked really good. He again looks like a guy you can trust in the net. Better defense of course helps him too but he looked very dialed in and reacted well to what happened in front of him.

The PP looked ass but I'm not that worried about it. You'd expect there would be a transitioning period after they've basically run the same PP for the last 15 years. There's still enough talent there to make it work well and hopefully we won't have to be as dependant on the PP as last year with improved 5 on 5 play.

Also, it was very awesome to see guys come all the way from British Columbia to help with the repairs after the storm. Makes you realize people aren't as shitty as doom scrolling social media would have you believe. Well deserved standing ovation from the crowd.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's the defense for me, Vasy is making routine saves and some but defense isn't scrambling around and losing coverage like they were all of last season.. That poised play leads to a lot less randomness and odd plays that just ended up in the back of the net last year. Team feels like it's back in 2020-2022 form, last year felt like every team was capable of coming back from 2-3+ goals against us at any given time.
Right, but not being able to trust Vasy with even the most routine saves, Last year, made it feel like nothing else mattered. Although I think there have been a few signs that he's all the way back.

To me, McDonagh was always the key. To this day I believe trading him instead of a forward was a massive mistake. It's like every other piece of the D puzzle slots so much more easily when you can trust McDonagh (and Cernak).

But yeah, the entire feel of the games are different so far. Once we are in control, we are just in control.

This makes middle six shopping at the TDL much more reasonable.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
My only gripe is with Hagel scoring. We all know all empty net points must go to Kucherov (sarcasm). Great win. Cirelli is finally a point per game player earning his contract for this week at least.

Reactions: DFC

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't use numbers to quantify how much more aggressive the forecheck was. We were on their ass all game long hunting like hounds and hitting like boxers. Last year felt like we'd do it long enough to get a 2 goal lead about 10 minutes in and elect to defend the other 45 to 50 minutes and the only time we were allowed to take risks was the power play.

It's been only 2 games but I have seen more from it than probably the last 2 years. Thank you for making me eat shit Coop

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Right, but not being able to trust Vasy with even the most routine saves, Last year, made it feel like nothing else mattered. Although I think there have been a few signs that he's all the way back.

To me, McDonagh was always the key. To this day I believe trading him instead of a forward was a massive mistake. It's like every other piece of the D puzzle slots so much more easily when you can trust McDonagh (and Cernak).

But yeah, the entire feel of the games are different so far. Once we are in control, we are just in control.

This makes middle six shopping at the TDL much more reasonable.
I think Vasy is far improved through these two games. Our defense is improved too, but we're still giving up lots of chances - some of them are quality chances that would go right past JJ.

They ended up with 25 scoring chances to our 23. We dominated the first period, they dominated the second, the third was even. Yet, we got 4 goals and they got 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad