OT: 10,000 Pt XLIV - Guitar Things

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’ve been prescribing it for years as a third line diabetic med .But now the demand is crazy high from those who might not even qualify because it helps for weight loss.
I blame celebrities and social media.
The 3 diabetic people in my family are each down like 50lb. It's pretty crazy to see how well it stopped the one problem eater too.

Reactions: WTFetus

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Thanks to technology, this is the first Olympics where my gf and I can really watch. Thailand has a few athletes but the events aren't that "interesting", so to speak. It's been fun indoctrinating her into the American Olympic fandom, where we deify some random athlete in some random sport and talk them up, all while becoming experts on the sport in the moment.

She thought it was stupid at first, but now she gets it. Last night she asked "can we watch an event with some americans in it?"

Victory

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thanks to technology, this is the first Olympics where my gf and I can really watch. Thailand has a few athletes but the events aren't that "interesting", so to speak. It's been fun indoctrinating her into the American Olympic fandom, where we deify some random athlete in some random sport and talk them up, all while becoming experts on the sport in the moment.

She thought it was stupid at first, but now she gets it. Last night she asked "can we watch an event with some americans in it?"

Victory

The real fun of the olympics is finding random events where there's a totally sensible field and then one outlier competitor from a country nobody expects.

Like turning on skateboarding and seeing a guy from Estonia, or a Judo division with 4 Japanese women, 2 Korean women, 1 Canadian woman from Japan, and 1 woman who grew up in Sweden but represents her family's heritage from Trinidad and Tobago.

There's a reason they made that movie about the Jamaican Bobsled team. Well, that and the fact that it came with an excuse to cast John Candy in something which was always a good idea.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Are these the most weird and random meme olympics ever? That super-cool Korean shooter, the Turkish guy who's totally not a hitman (seriously, he's not a hitman. We swear), and the cheese gymnast. People will remember these olympics more for the silly fun stuff than any of the results :laugh:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Are these the most weird and random meme olympics ever? That super-cool Korean shooter, the Turkish guy who's totally not a hitman (seriously, he's not a hitman. We swear), and the cheese gymnast. People will remember these olympics more for the silly fun stuff than any of the results :laugh:
I'm at the point now where i'm frustrated with how the olympics is covered. I have to VPN to the US to see any of NBC's coverage on Peacock, which is 50/50 commercials and events, and on X. But they only show the stuff Americans are in, which is nice but also not what I want to see.

Im trying to find a video of the Canadian Hammer Throw gold and I have to VPN to Canada now? Here in TH whenever there are big world events like this the gov pays for it and everyone can watch for free. I wish the Olympic broadcasters shared the same "entertainment-first" philosophy instead of caring about making $$ on rights.

(cool side story: my grandfather's company acquired the US TV rights for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, and I'm pretty sure part of it involved bringing Coca-Cola to the USSR. He was a non-American so both sides were OK doing business together through him. So yes, I understand the irony of this post with my family having benefited from making money on rights lolol)

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I'm at the point now where i'm frustrated with how the olympics is covered. I have to VPN to the US to see any of NBC's coverage on Peacock, which is 50/50 commercials and events, and on X. But they only show the stuff Americans are in, which is nice but also not what I want to see.

Im trying to find a video of the Canadian Hammer Throw gold and I have to VPN to Canada now? Here in TH whenever there are big world events like this the gov pays for it and everyone can watch for free. I wish the Olympic broadcasters shared the same "entertainment-first" philosophy instead of caring about making $$ on rights.

(cool side story: my grandfather's company acquired the US TV rights for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, and I'm pretty sure part of it involved bringing Coca-Cola to the USSR. He was a non-American so both sides were OK doing business together through him. So yes, I understand the irony of this post with my family having benefited from making money on rights lolol)
The advertisement to entertainment ratio is bananas!

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
@landshark youre in the Richmond district right? I tried Mamahuhu on Clement the other day, pretty fire.
Fried chicken sandwiches but instead of regular buns they use those Asian pineapple buns.
Woah! Nice! A bazillion moons ago I worked at the bar across the street from there. I tend to hit Wing Lee on the corner, but I like my dim sum cheap and greasy.

I'll have to check that out. I like chicken, and I love pineapple buns.

That one?
1723830934264.png

I'm intrigued by black vinegar mayo... Looks tasty. Too far to walk, next time I hit Green Apple Books I'll pop in there and try it. Thanks for the heads up!

Next time you're down that way I recommend Richmond Republic. Bomb cheesesteaks (get the aioli) and tots. It's a block up (7th Ave) from Mamahuhu on the other side of Clement.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That one?

Next time you're down that way I recommend Richmond Republic. Bomb cheesesteaks (get the aioli) and tots. It's a block up (7th Ave) from Mamahuhu on the other side of Clement.
Yeah I got the honey Hawthorne when I was there. Combo comes with hot and sour soup, but I thought the soup was pretty meh.

I used to work down on Geary, but that commute down 19th from my house was too balls for it to be a long term thing. :laugh:
I pretty much only head that way now to go to Japantown and Lands End.

Reactions: landshark

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Yeah I got the honey Hawthorne when I was there. Combo comes with hot and sour soup, but I thought the soup was pretty meh.

I used to work down on Geary, but that commute down 19th from my house was too balls for it to be a long term thing. :laugh:
I pretty much only head that way now to go to Japantown and Lands End.
Ooof, yeah, commuting up and down 19th is bananas. I've been a northsider the whole time.

Reactions: WTFetus

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Went to see Mars Volta, System of a Down and Deftones in golden gate park tonight. Very new experience for me, but tons fun. A good reintroduction to America
Nice! we could hear it loud and clear on the other end of the park at the horseshoe pits. Glad you had fun!!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm jealous for sure, a bunch of people I know went too.
Knowing the little i know about your musical tastes I kinda thought you might be there haha.

Very cool. I thought about trying to go to that show but I only really like Deftones.
They put on a great show. Saw my first mosh pit, that was cool.

I'm a fan of improvisational live music and don't like heavy stuff at all really beyond System (I'm Armenian so it's law to like them), so this was entirely new and fun. Raw energy!

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Knowing the little i know about your musical tastes I kinda thought you might be there haha.

They put on a great show. Saw my first mosh pit, that was cool.

I'm a fan of improvisational live music and don't like heavy stuff at all really beyond System (I'm Armenian so it's law to like them), so this was entirely new and fun. Raw energy!
I work so many shows these days it's tough to go out and see them as often, plus it's just getting so expensive

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Went to see Mars Volta, System of a Down and Deftones in golden gate park tonight. Very new experience for me, but tons fun. A good reintroduction to America
Quite the line up! I’m a huge fan of early Mars Volta and Deftones are one of my all time favorites and probably put on one of the best live shows when I saw them with Mastodon and Alice In Chains years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad