Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Just spitballing, but say you are able to acquire Necas for Ullmark. This move doesn’t have to be the “center upgrade”

I’m aware he hasn’t played much center at this level, but I also wouldn’t completely write it off. If he is able to fill this role that’s obviously a plus, at worst he is your Debrusk replacement at right wing.

Also at age 25, there’s the potential to be long term part of this core.

Reactions: Gordoff

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Just spitballing, but say you are able to acquire Necas for Ullmark. This move doesn’t have to be the “center upgrade”

I’m aware he hasn’t played much center at this level, but I also wouldn’t completely write it off. If he is able to fill this role that’s obviously a plus, at worst he is your Debrusk replacement at right wing.
No. Because a goalie trade will only get you draft picks.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's reasonable to me. They've refused a full rebuild in favor of a quick reload, and should be judged accordingly. The key pieces are either there or the cap space exists to get them, the prospect pool is not favorable to a slower burn, so go get some silverware soon or get out and let someone else try. This is second chance territory already, so the amount of rope given to the current management should be shorter.
This.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's easy to say what moves worked out or didn't.

But it seems wrong to criticize moves not made. We really don't know who was available or what the price was. Right now the Bruins need center. Lots of talk about Lindholm. What if someone offers him $9 mil for 5 years? Should Sweeney top that simply because it would fill a need right now? Or should he be patient?

Seems in general we are on the same page though.

For sure. And as I did acknowledge, it's hard. There are lots of teams making offers. But I do also believe, to put it in the bluntest terms, 'excuses are for losers'. You need to get something done, you find a way, whatever it takes. Vegas are I think undeniably the best at this in the current NHL. Yeah their situation remains unique on account of being a still-recent expansion team who initially cashed in on some dim-witted GMs, but they're absolute sharks in the market - Stone, Pietrangelo, Eichel, Hanifin - they target big names and then go get them. Are there targets they don't get? Undoubtedly. But their strike rate is impressive.

I don't mean to overstate the case. For every Vegas, every successful deal that a GM makes, there are multiple teams who far more often miss out, desired moves that just don't land. Sometimes, with the best will and offer in the world, you're not going to get what you want. But when the window is open, and you're right at the pointy end, I really want to see the GM go as hard as possible, because those opportunities don't come around all that often, not even for the Bruins. In that sense, I felt that Sweeney through 2019-21 just didn't, or couldn't, quite do enough. I can understand the difficulties while still thinking he came up that little bit short.

But that's the past and for better or worse he's still in charge. This is going to be his most critical offseason as GM perhaps of his entire tenure, with the possible exception of his very first one. Let's see what he can do.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
For sure. And as I did acknowledge, it's hard. There are lots of teams making offers. But I do also believe, to put it in the bluntest terms, 'excuses are for losers'. You need to get something done, you find a way, whatever it takes. Vegas are I think undeniably the best at this in the current NHL. Yeah their situation remains unique on account of being a still-recent expansion team who initially cashed in on some dim-witted GMs, but they're absolute sharks in the market - Stone, Pietrangelo, Eichel, Hanifin - they target big names and then go get them. Are there targets they don't get? Undoubtedly. But their strike rate is impressive.

I don't mean to overstate the case. For every Vegas, every successful deal that a GM makes, there are multiple teams who far more often miss out, desired moves that just don't land. Sometimes, with the best will and offer in the world, you're not going to get what you want. But when the window is open, and you're right at the pointy end, I really want to see the GM go as hard as possible, because those opportunities don't come around all that often, not even for the Bruins. In that sense, I felt that Sweeney through 2019-21 just didn't, or couldn't, quite do enough. I can understand the difficulties while still thinking he came up that little bit short.

But that's the past and for better or worse he's still in charge. This is going to be his most critical offseason as GM perhaps of his entire tenure, with the possible exception of his very first one. Let's see what he can do.
Again, I don’t think this is the most critical off-season. It’s important, but it’s not his most critical - that implies, like many here want to believe, that he’s in danger of losing his job. He’s not.

He’s put the Bruins in a great position. He has room to capitalize on it. Their pro scouting has been excellent lately, as has their drafting. He’s transitioned to a new core. We have several years of runway now.

Will be fascinating to see how it plays out given the amount of teams with space. But despite peoples personal feelings, this isn’t a make it or break it year for him.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Again, I don’t think this is the most critical off-season. It’s important, but it’s not his most critical - that implies, like many here want to believe, that he’s in danger of losing his job. He’s not.

He’s put the Bruins in a great position. He has room to capitalize on it. Their pro scouting has been excellent lately, as has their drafting. He’s transitioned to a new core. We have several years of runway now.

Will be fascinating to see how it plays out given the amount of teams with space. But despite peoples personal feelings, this isn’t a make it or break it year for him.

Oh I don't think his job's in danger, not at all. To me, I see it as critical in two senses. Firstly, I don't think Sweeney's ever had more scope to change the team in an offseason. The 2015 draft of course stands out, but in terms of cap space and working out what to do with important pieces/spots like Ullmark and DeBrusk, what sort of deal to make with Sway, I think this is unprecedented in terms of just how much he's got to play with and sort out. Happy to hear counter-arguments to that, but it seems that way to me.

Secondly, it feels like what he does here quite possibly will do a lot to set up just how competitive the Bruins will be in the next 2-3 years. Sure some key core pieces are already in place, but at least a couple are not, and there are decisions to be made about how to best to shape both the offensive and defensive depth, and how exactly they envision the goalie situation working out. Not every need has to be solved at once, and the team will of course continue to evolve. But the decisions made in the next couple of months could really be some difference-makers, even if they're decisions not to do something i.e. if it turns out no worthwhile top centers are available for fair price and Don simply decides to wait rather than overpay.

Not life-and-death stuff, for sure, but an important period nonetheless. As you said, they're transitioning to a new core. Getting that right is obviously going to mean a lot in terms of them being real contenders or pretenders.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
My take on all of this is that Don believes getting to the party (playoffs) well dressed is the critical step. Once at the party anything can happen irrespective of if you are prom queen or last one in the door. I am not sure what the analytics says about that but gut feel is if not in the top tier the chances of going home alone are significantly higher but I’d need to look it up.

The more pressing issue IMO is that they preach speed and size but they dont really excel in either. There is a lack of Burkie ´ s « truculence » as well and it’s not clear what the roster design principles are anymore.

23 felt oh so like the MOC last hurrah Gonchar and Nylander trades just to fizzle out and 24 felt very MOC’ish with a top heavy roster and totally overextended depth on F and D.

This is where the roster design is disconcerting. After all these years of the Cam & Don duo one is still talking about needing heavier and tougher play while the other is talking about more speed and recover and transition. Unless you are drafting all stars you ain’t getting a 5 star 5 tooler so which is it and what is the plan? There is still a place in the NHL for a somewhat « big and bad » roster that can win. BUT it feels like thay are trending more to a Habs/Devils trap and counter team with little « truculence » for the new NHL and OK getting curb stomped at the prom.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Find players like Trocheck and Verhaeghe, give Pasta support, and take the spotlight off him as the only scorer. It's easy to stop this team offense when there's one guy and nothing from the back end. Get a deeman that makes plays the way Krug did and a guy that can skate and strike some fear into the opposition.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Find players like Trocheck and Verhaeghe, give Pasta support, and take the spotlight off him as the only scorer. It's easy to stop this team offense when there's one guy and nothing from the back end. Get a deeman that makes plays the way Krug did and a guy that can skate and strike some fear into the opposition.

Back when Trochek was a FA people around here hated the idea of bringing him in.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

a guy like Lomberg might not be a bad idea as far as addressing the grit/jam on the bottom 6, won`t cost a ton , won`t contribute much offensively but addresses two areas, speed and grit, like to add Stephenson more than Lindholm up the middle

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
a guy like Lomberg might not be a bad idea as far as addressing the grit/jam on the bottom 6, won`t cost a ton , won`t contribute much offensively but addresses two areas, speed and grit, like to add Stephenson more than Lindholm up the middle
I agree. I think there might be competition for Lomberg though so his price might go higher than we'd want. Especially if they win the cup and he has a visible role in that. Just for example, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit all want to add bottom 6 grit guys. That's just in our division.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'd rather have Bertuzzi back

Reactions: Budddy and BB79

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Seems I've heard that song before. The Bruins won't change, never has. All the way back in history they have been a fantastic regular season team not so much in the playoffs.

One thing bothering me is they didn't find a solution (sign or trade) to Jake DeBrusk. He certainly had a career year at (for him) the right time. It's not the first time they risk losing a player for nothing.

Perhaps no offer for JD or Matt Grzelcyk for that matter. They should have been the Bruins best trade bait except for Linus Ullmark. Anybody know what deal was for Linus that he blocked....

For next year I hope Mason Lohrei get a big breakthrough season and will run the powerplay. Other than that who can challenge for a spot among Bruins prospects. Not a lot.

Who can they get for Linus. Will he really bring a Martin Necas or a Shane Pinto. They need a big tough defenseman (a la Lauzon), depth players. They need to add speed and grit. The same asking as a year ago.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
They went for it last year giving up plenty of draft capital and bonus overage and paid the price this year.

Players chocked last year up 3-1 and up by 1 with less than 1min in game 7.

Great bargin bin season by Sweeney and the team had a better season than many anticipated.

Hoped they could do to Fla what they did to us last year. Didn’t happen.

Swayman-McAvoy-Pasta is a fondation for great things to come. Excited for what’s to come.

The demise that every other team fan base Hope for the Bruins ain’t coming soon. If at all.

Enjoy Bruins fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad