Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Didn’t say they have been.

Do you think 0 cups under Sweeney is good?
Look, this debate has been had all over here. No one thinks not winning cups is a good thing, that's what we all want as fans.

You're free to be angry every year they don't win the cup, which will be the majority of the time, that's fine and I won't stop you. I choose to appreciate the seasons as they come. Any year I don't have to watch the Bruins be a bottom feeder is a good year to me, because those days will come too eventually and they'll be even more miserable than watching them lose in round 1 or 2.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I could well be mistaken on this but I believe this has to do with analytics. A goalie with a save% of 900 will be just as good over a long season and produce as many wins as a .925 even though the goalie with the higher save % is a better goalie.

What happens when you rely on analytics over what a player brings.
I don't think any analytics that I'm aware of would suggest that about these 2 hypothetical goalies at all.

Reactions: HustleB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't know how Cam Neely, or SGITR Don Sweeney can look themselves in the mirror. I expected as much from Charlie, after all, what's he going to say? Nonetheless I am disappointed in him.

Tell me again how wonderful the team president and general manager are, how they made chicken salad out of chicken shit. And how they gave us such lovely chicken s*** to begin with.

Tell me how fabulous that coaching staff is!

My respect for them is pronounced,

There's a sucker born every minute.

Clearly.

"Say it," Cam said.

"What?," asked Sweeney, knowing the answer.

"Comfort.

"Say it."

Sweenes hesitated momentarily. A self-satisfied smirk emerged.

"Comfort," he responded.

"Comfort," affirmed Cam.

They went to dinner.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That's a fair point about highly competent not being a cup dispensing machine.

I got a snicker out of your Colorado comment. Can you imagine Bruins fans if the team rolled out all that top shelf talent, backed up by whatever shitty goalie they've found this week?

This place would be Thunderdome.
Bruins drafted Seguin #2 and one year later Hamilton #9.

Then 4 years later butchered the 2015 draft trading Hamilton as part of it.

They had a crack at some elite talent and blew it. Its amazing they have stayed relevant but great goaltending, generational 2 way center and some quality dmen washed that out until now where they have to roll dice on FA.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I don't know how Cam Neely, or SGITR Don Sweeney can look themselves in the mirror. I expected as much from Charlie, after all, what's he going to say? Nonetheless I am disappointed in him.

Tell me again how wonderful the team president and general manager are, how they made chicken salad out of chicken shit. And how they gave us such lovely chicken s*** to begin with.

Tell me how fabulous that coaching staff is!

My respect for them is pronounced,

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/05...thing to see here, on multiple levels, 💩✌️✔️

Excellent Album

Reactions: BTO

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
This team is not going to win anything with Sweeney and Neely running the show.

I think they grossly mismanaged McAvoy's development and the whole defense structure after Chara and Krug departure.
Chara while aging and slow was still a great leader, had physical presence, grit, PK duty.
Krug was the PP1 QB

suddenly:
PP QB gone
slap shot and brain to utilize PP gone
physical presence gone
leadership gone

What did they do?
They surrounded McAvoy with junk in Gryz, Forbort, Zboril, Reilly. Next to them he looked like a Norris trophy winner and he got paid like one.

It was ok in the regular season but it did not work in the playoffs.
2021 won 1st round against Capitals then lost to Islanders
2022 lost 1st round to Hurricanes
2023 lost 1st round to Panthers
2024 won 1st round against Leafs by the skin of their teeth thanks to Pasta, then lost to Panthers.

So the reclamation project before the playoffs in 2022 was Lindholm that cost them a fortune.

Does Lindholm have a hard and accurate slapshot?
nope
Does Lindholm play physical?
nope
Does Lindholm have any grit?
nope
Is Lindholm a leadership type of guy?
nope

So now the Bruins are stuck with 2 guys on D who eat $16m of cap space with NMC/NTC and none of the issues on defense are solved.
Lindholm looks like Backes in progress and McAvoy is nowhere being elite.
Ya but Lindholm scored a goal this year and what the hell happen to McAvoy the last 2 months or more...he looked scared in those two rounds of playoff crap.

Reactions: Gordoff

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Look, this debate has been had all over here. No one thinks not winning cups is a good thing, that's what we all want as fans.

You're free to be angry every year they don't win the cup, which will be the majority of the time, that's fine and I won't stop you. I choose to appreciate the seasons as they come. Any year I don't have to watch the Bruins be a bottom feeder is a good year to me, because those days will come too eventually and they'll be even more miserable than watching them lose in round 1 or 2.
Personally I’d like to see a young team grow into a contender, like the 2007-2008 team or whenever it was specifically. That’s exciting, year after year. Not a re-tread team that never has the horses and never will.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Personally I’d like to see a young team grow into a contender, like the 2007-2008 team or whenever it was specifically. That’s exciting, year after year. Not a re-tread team that never has the horses and never will.
That's great, and again I won't tell you how to feel, but you're assuming the team is going to grow into a cup contender and not spend the next 8+ years struggling like Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit. At least you'll be excited year after year with a team that "has the horses" to win it all.

I just hope when those dark days come you remember you wished for it...no complaints from your mouth right? :sarcasm:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
That's great, and again I won't tell you how to feel, but you're assuming the team is going to grow into a cup contender and not spend the next 8+ years struggling like Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit. At least you'll be excited year after year with a team that "has the horses" to win it all.
I’ve spent 50 years watching them fail in the playoffs. Making the playoffs and winning a couple of rounds no longer excites me. Been there, done that. Yawn. Only a Cup excites me as I’ve only seen one. Course losing in the Final a half dozen times (ok, 7) is worst of all. I thought the 07-08 team was finally the beginnings of greatness but nope (70 & 72 was greatness. 88 & 90 was not. 11 & 13 would have been). Instead we got One Cup and more failures than we can count. Wake me up when they actually do have the horses again. One more Cup or meh. Anyway yeah, that’s how I feel. But that’s just me.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’ve spent 50 years watching them fail in the playoffs. Making the playoffs and winning a couple of rounds no longer excites me. Been there, done that. Yawn. Only a Cup excites me as I’ve only seen one. Course losing in the Final a half dozen times (ok, 7) is worst of all. I thought the 07-08 team was finally the beginnings of greatness but nope (70 & 72 was greatness. 88 & 90 was not. 11 & 13 would have been). Instead we got One Cup and more failures than we can count. Wake me up when they actually do have the horses again. One more Cup or meh. Anyway yeah, that’s how I feel. But that’s just me.
Yeah and I totally get what you're saying, but for me personally all of that sounds a lot more fun than watching a team win 15-30 games for a few seasons just for the chance to draft good players. I can't see any enjoyment in that unless they can pull off a cup, which is far from a guarantee

Reactions: lopey and BTO

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Yeah and I totally get what you're saying, but for me personally all of that sounds a lot more fun than watching a team win 15-30 games for a few seasons just for the chance to draft good players. I can't see any enjoyment in that unless they can pull off a cup, which is far from a guarantee
It was indeed fun. It isn’t anymore lol. Some of us have just had enough I guess. Others haven’t.

lol that reminds me of the saying that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who have lost data and those who will. There are two kinds of Bruins fans: those who have had enough and those who will. 😉

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Not sure.

One thing I do know is that among teams to lead the league in points over at least a decade stretch. Not a single team has worse playoff results than the current Bruins.

Bruins and flyers only such teams to not win a cup and the flyers went to three Stanley cups during their stretch.

It’s unprecedented the lack of playoff success they’ve had relative to their regular season success.

chokers

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad