GDT: 1/30/15: SABRES (14-32-3) at CANUCKS (26-17-3) TV: NHLN-US, MSG-B, BELL - 10 PM ET

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We don't win by ending his career.

I think that'd depend on who you asked around here. I can think of at least three posters who'd be happy if his career was destroyed so that they could claim they were right on the internet about something.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Looked like Hackett tweaked something there...not sure why he never got up when the puck went into the corner.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Ristolainen is not NHL caliber defensively yet. Not even close.

I wouldn't go that far, he and Zads make their share of rookie mistakes, being on the worst team of the decade doesn't help either. They are both playing better than I would have thought at the beginning of the season.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wouldn't go that far, he and Zads make their share of rookie mistakes, being on the worst team of the decade doesn't help either. They are both playing better than I would have thought at the beginning of the season.
He has a great first pass right now but his defensive game should be in the AHL right now. He's alright in front of the net but he's so incredibly weak along the boards. That play Kassian made on him happens on a nightly basis. He's actually tracking the puck better this season but if you watch just his head he often has Rob Ray's favorite head on a swivel because he can't find where the play is. I dunno, there's things you are going to be bad at on a terrible team like this but there also individual things you need to be able to execute and Risto can't do it at an NHL level yet. He should be in the AHL.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
That's just wrong.
No it's not. You're letting a high pick blind you. He should be in the AHL. What I love around here is that people equate me saying Risto isn't NHL caliber defensively yet as saying "Risto will never be good". I'm just being honest. We all saw what he can do against his peers and what he could do in pre season against peers again... he's going to be fine. But the AHL wouldn't have hurt him this season and it's probably where he should be.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No it's not. You're letting a high pick blind you. He should be in the AHL. What I love around here is that people equate me saying Risto isn't NHL caliber defensively yet as saying "Risto will never be good". I'm just being honest. We all saw what he can do against his peers and what he could do in pre season against peers again... he's going to be fine. But the AHL wouldn't have hurt him this season and it's probably where he should be.

This is also based off his worst stretch of the season, today he should be in the AHL. A month ago he was playing well in his own zone.

When you say things like "Not even close" to being NHL caliber when he has already showed that he can play at an NHL level for stretches, it is kinda wrong. Today he isn't good defensively, doesn't mean he isn't even close.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This is also based off his worst stretch of the season, today he should be in the AHL. A month ago he was playing well in his own zone.
He just looks weaker and weaker each game and I think his conditioning can't keep up. After losing weight and playing in a season that is still long for him may be doing him in.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

I know what you said, and i know it's not that he will never be good in the NHL defensively. I just disagree. You can argue that the AHL could help him more, that's fine. But he is definitely good enough defensively to play in the NHL. Things like his stick work, positioning, 1 on 1 defending are very good.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

Of course he should be in Rochester, as should Zadorov, but its not like they have better defensive options. Besides Pysyk of course, but Murray does not want him here yet for good reason. Its all part of the plan.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
He just looks weaker and weaker each game and I think his conditioning can't keep up. After losing weight and playing in a season that is still long for him may be doing him in.

Agreed. He's been off for a while...the lengthy season appears to be wearing on him physically and mentally.

I wouldn't be averse to Murray swapping Risto and Pysyk for the rest of the season.

That said, Risto looked like a bonafide top-four defenseman for much of the first half of the season. I think he's mentally ready for NHL action -- it's the physical game that seems to be holding him back of late.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Totally agree but that's not really what you stated earlier, but I don't think that means he isn't even close to being NHL caliber defensively. He played like a bonified top 4 guy for at least a 20 game stretch. I said a few days ago that he should go down with Pysyk coming up.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

That is what you should have said in the first place. He has definitely worn down some, but who wouldn't at that age, with that role?

Bps21*

I want a t-shirt made out of a picture of Andrej Meszaros leaving the penalty box after a PP goal against.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00