OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Never heard of them? What type of metal are they?

No type. They are “metal” and jazz and funk and ballads. They’re pretty unique. Their drummer is insane. They’ll throw 6 genres at you in one song. Check out The Summoning.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
At least half of the Americans entering college in 2019 (including my son) were conceived to D'Angelo's Untitled (How Does It Feel).

When I want to listen to 21st Century Blues Rock I listen to a playlist that only has the album Elephant on it, and I tell Spotify to add to it.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That's funny, I follow a band called Summoning!

I’d love to see what you (and anyone here) thinks of ST. The entire Take Me Back To Eden album is a masterpiece and songs like Alkaline, The Offering, The Night Does Not Belong To God, from earlier albums are all wonderful. Some of those have some pretty cool videos as well. TMBTE has static videos, like the one I posted, for each song on the album, but videos like Alkaline are really cool. They’re also one of the most unique acts out there today, and their drummer is filthy. Poor quality sound from cell phone footage of the song I posted above, but gets the point across quite well:

Last edited:

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
I’d love to see what you (and anyone here) thinks of ST. The entire Take Me Back To Eden album is a masterpiece and songs like Alkaline, The Offering, The Night Does Not Belong To God, from earlier albums are all wonderful. Some of those have some pretty cool videos as well. TMBTE has static videos, like the one I posted, for each song on the album, but videos like Alkaline are really cool. They’re also one of the most unique acts out there today, and their drummer is filthy. Poor quality sound from cell phone footage of the song I posted above, but gets the point across quite well:

I'll trade you a listen of Ancient Rites (And the Horns Called for War)

• Love
Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
new Jinjer single, album on the way:

Okay if you listen to Jinjer, Spiritbox, etc. you ought to end up liking Sleep Token, even though they’re more “metal adjacent” than truly metal. They absolutely are metal at times, but they’re often not metal at all, aside from the drum triplets or the ambience, etc.

Also, I know I don’t post as much as I used to and this isn’t the most heavily trafficked thread but if you haven’t at least clicked and given ST a listen you’re literally depriving yourself. They’re one of the most diverse and unique musical acts out there, especially if you’re a metal-ish listener.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Okay if you listen to Jinjer, Spiritbox, etc. you ought to end up liking Sleep Token, even though they’re more “metal adjacent” than truly metal. They absolutely are metal at times, but they’re often not metal at all, aside from the drum triplets or the ambience, etc.

Also, I know I don’t post as much as I used to and this isn’t the most heavily trafficked thread but if you haven’t at least clicked and given ST a listen you’re literally depriving yourself. They’re one of the most diverse and unique musical acts out there, especially if you’re a metal-ish listener.

Yeah, i've tried to give them a listen before. This is my favorite so far:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Great song by a great band.

I remember this clip getting roasted by Beavis and Butthead like 30 years ago. And then Green Day, Rancid, etc. made punk cool again and I'd learn about The Sex Pistols and all the postpunk bands like PIL.

I love their early stuff when it was Lydon/Wobble/Levene and either Walker or Atkins on drums. I have to give this album named "Album" another chance because I had no idea Bill Laswell, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Bernie Worrell, Tony Williams, and Steve Vai all played on it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
For those in the NY area who listen to more underground or indie metal, or are familiar with St. Vitus in Brooklyn, (they did the Nirvana surprise "reunion" there about a decade ago with Annie Clarke and others), the venue will not be able to continue after being closed nearly a year.

I have a lot of good memories from that place and have been going to concerts there since 2014 so it's definitely sad. Great neighborhood and you can always get a slice of pizza or some deli snacks before or after the show. Very intimate place with great sound and a cool bar.

There are other venues that the bands who played there will now go to in either Brooklyn or Queens, but none of them will match Vitus.

Reactions: nyrmetros and Cmox

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
For those in the NY area who listen to more underground or indie metal, or are familiar with St. Vitus in Brooklyn, (they did the Nirvana surprise "reunion" there about a decade ago with Annie Clarke and others), the venue will not be able to continue after being closed nearly a year.

I have a lot of good memories from that place and have been going to concerts there since 2014 so it's definitely sad. Great neighborhood and you can always get a slice of pizza or some deli snacks before or after the show. Very intimate place with great sound and a cool bar.

There are other venues that the bands who played there will now go to in either Brooklyn or Queens, but none of them will match Vitus.
That's a bummer.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Wore our colors to the worlds most famous studio
IMG_7732.png

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They are a fantastic band, agreed. Love that entire album.

Seeing them live with Khraungbin in about a month.
I'm very torn on them. I kind of like some of their stuff but it's missing something. Feels thin.

I feel like they're a watered down version of RHCP without any explosiveness that is fashionably cool for Gen Zers to love and half the appeal is watching Laura Lee prance around stage.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm very torn on them. I kind of like some of their stuff but it's missing something. Feels thin.

I feel like they're a watered down version of RHCP without any explosiveness that is fashionably cool for Gen Zers to love and half the appeal is watching Laura Lee prance around stage.
They are a very talented trio but I agree.

My wife and I arent huge fans but we thought it would be a fun, different experience seeing them live. They are good to listen to as a chill background when hangin out, not sure how it will translate into a live experience but we are looking forward to it.

I really like the collab with Leon Bridges, Texas Moon & Sun EPs. Adding a strong vocal definitely adds another dimension

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,669.00