Best goals of the playoffs

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
MANDATE FULL NECK PROTECTION FOR ALL PLAYERS NOW!

FFS, I don't want to see yet another player die on the ice in gruesome fashion. Enough is enough.
It’s absolutely baffling to me it hasn’t happened yet. It makes literally zero difference in your play on the ice and we know for 100% certainly now that you can die from these plays.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I'll be honest, his game really suits the playoff style of hockey. Not sure if it's the intensity or the close checking, but he excels when the ice is harder to earn. Maybe this is where things finally explode for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'll be honest, his game really suits the playoff style of hockey. Not sure if it's the intensity or the close checking, but he excels when the ice is harder to earn. Maybe this is where things finally explode for him.
He's taken a huge step forward in his confidence and puck handling this year as well as overall pace of play, and yeah he also loves to get in there and mix it up and throw some hits and be a pest

I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now we hear how much other players dislike the kind of stuff he does a little like Trochek

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This goal brought to you by all the jealous, entitled fans that whined about literal math and the Oilers getting lucky at the draft a couple times.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yikes. This part was a bit scary.

View attachment 876131
Yeah. I had to see the play 4 times before I finally saw Laf put the puck in. Every time I watched it all I saw was his skate smoking Bob in the face.

Kind of ugly and clunky. He's literally falling for no reason when he shovels the backhand home. 6/10.
Already off balance and reaching with his stick, has his rear foot shoved out from under him by the Panthers player stick = falling for no reason.

You can go back to your garbage can now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This goal brought to you by all the jealous, entitled fans that whined about literal math and the Oilers getting lucky at the draft a couple times.

The thing is people whined so much about the Rangers getting lucky that draft. But in 2005 during the Crosby draft the draft was set up so that teams with the fewest playoff seasons getting the best odds because there was no season the year before. I believe the Rangers had the longest playoff drought at the time (7 years) and were amongst the teams (Pens included) that had the best odds. They ended up I believe 16th which was the lowest spot for teams with the best odds. They traded up to 12th and drafted Marc Staal (good player but come on). Nobody felt bad for us that despite having the longest drought that we ping pong balls had us at 16. But when the luck goes the other way in a much less crucial draft we hear whining to this day.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The thing is people whined so much about the Rangers getting lucky that draft. But in 2005 during the Crosby draft the draft was set up so that teams with the fewest playoff seasons getting the best odds because there was no season the year before. I believe the Rangers had the longest playoff drought at the time (7 years) and were amongst the teams (Pens included) that had the best odds. They ended up I believe 16th which was the lowest spot for teams with the best odds. They traded up to 12th and drafted Marc Staal (good player but come on). Nobody felt bad for us that despite having the longest drought that we ping pong balls had us at 16. But when the luck goes the other way in a much less crucial draft we hear whining to this day.
A bit of a unique situation with the lock out there though no? Just saying it wasn’t typical of how the drafts worked. Maybe the Rags got screwed that year though, I don’t know the situation well enough. But the drafts for the most part (outside of outlier years like that) was working exactly as intended. To give shitty teams a chance to compete again.

It’s the same system that got the Hawks out of the dumps, the Avs out of the dumps, the Pens out of the dumps etc etc. It was working, teams were going from the basement to cup contendership. But the Rags draft with Laf was different. The Rags weren’t in the basement, they had no issue competing, they were always competitive cause of their access to free agents.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
A bit of a unique situation with the lock out there though no? Just saying it wasn’t typical of how the drafts worked. Maybe the Rags got screwed that year though, I don’t know the situation well enough. But the drafts for the most part (outside of outlier years like that) was working exactly as intended. To give shitty teams a chance to compete again.

It’s the same system that got the Hawks out of the dumps, the Avs out of the dumps, the Pens out of the dumps etc etc. It was working, teams were going from the basement to cup contendership. But the Rags draft with Laf was different. The Rags weren’t in the basement, they had no issue competing, they were always competitive cause of their access to free agents.
And the COVID shutdown wasn't?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

A lot to unpack:

1) They had a 4 year period of not making the playoffs (including the year after Laf was drafted). That year they just so happened to be not as bad as the other three years and were a playoff contender but outside of the playoff picture at the time of Covid shutting things down. They were close enough where they still could have made it but far enough in the season where it wasn't super likely. It was likely that they would have missed but Covid kind of saved them.

2) This is not something that played in the calculus of the draft pick obviously but the Rangers were the only team in that round including teams with worse if not significantly worse records than them that got swept. This is just to illustrate that the Rangers weren't good. They got swept by the Hurricanes before the Hurricanes were the Hurricanes.

3) That year was also a unique situation with the play in round due to Covid. I guess they could have limited the lottery to only the teams that didn't make the play in round?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A lot to unpack:

1) They had a 4 year period of not making the playoffs (including the year after Laf was drafted). That year they just so happened to be not as bad as the other three years and were a playoff contender but outside of the playoff picture at the time of Covid shutting things down. They were close enough where they still could have made it but far enough in the season where it wasn't super likely. It was likely that they would have missed but Covid kind of saved them.

2) This is not something that played in the calculus of the draft pick obviously but the Rangers were the only team in that round including teams with worse if not significantly worse records than them that got swept. This is just to illustrate that the Rangers weren't good. They got swept by the Hurricanes before the Hurricanes were the Hurricanes.

3) That year was also a unique situation with the play in round due to Covid. I guess they could have limited the lottery to only the teams that didn't make the play in round?
Lol 4 years is nothing. In terms of playoff droughts for “bad” teams it’s nothing.

But if you really want to unpack my original statement, a statement not really targeted at NYs draft of Laf but moreso about the changes to the draft lottery to “prevent tanking” which lots of people blamed on the Oilers (even though we never tanked). You’d have to go back to 2014 where the odds were changed, then 2015 when the lottery format was changed to include lotteries for the top 3 picks and not just for the 1st pick,

It’s those changes that persisted and influenced how the NHL would handle the unique covid season that lead to the ability for the “not that bad” Rangers to win the 1st overall pick. The odds from the 2014 changes remained, as did the ability for teams that just barely missed the playoff cut to win 1st overall. All this, borne out of fans and GMs whining about the draft working exactly as it was intended to.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad