Best goals of the playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lol 4 years is nothing. In terms of playoff droughts for “bad” teams it’s nothing.

But if you really want to unpack my original statement, a statement not really targeted at NYs draft of Laf but moreso about the changes to the draft lottery to “prevent tanking” which lots of people blamed on the Oilers (even though we never tanked). You’d have to go back to 2014 where the odds were changed, then 2015 when the lottery format was changed to include lotteries for the top 3 picks and not just for the 1st pick,

It’s those changes that persisted and influenced how the NHL would handle the unique covid season that lead to the ability for the “not that bad” Rangers to win the 1st overall pick. The odds from the 2014 changes remained, as did the ability for teams that just barely missed the playoff cut to win 1st overall. All this, borne out of fans and GMs whining about the draft working exactly as it was intended to.

4 years are a lot if you (the general you) make the Rangers into some really good team that got a #1 pick. They weren't #1 overall bad but still bad is all I'm saying.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
4 years are a lot if you (the general you) make the Rangers into some really good team that got a #1 pick. They weren't #1 overall bad but still bad is all I'm saying.
I understand what you were saying. And it’s a valid point. But the draft and 1st overalls IMO should be reserved for the very worst of the teams in the League, it’s how drafts have always worked in most sports leagues. The goal being to get basement teams back to relevance for a healthier overall League. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending how you look at it) for the Rags, they were never a team that needed to be rescued from the basement. They will always be a team that can supplement their roster with top free agent talent and they never intend to tank because for them every year it’s possible to make the playoffs. It’s not like this for other teams.

The NHL lost sight of the true purpose of the draft cause of whining and complaints about things that were working as intended.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I understand what you were saying. And it’s a valid point. But the draft and 1st overalls IMO should be reserved for the very worst of the teams in the League, it’s how drafts have always worked in most sports leagues. The goal being to get basement teams back to relevance for a healthier overall League. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending how you look at it) for the Rags, they were never a team that needed to be rescued from the basement. They will always be a team that can supplement their roster with top free agent talent and they never intend to tank because for them every year it’s possible to make the playoffs. It’s not like this for other teams.

The NHL lost sight of the true purpose of the draft cause of whining and complaints about things that were working as intended.

The Rangers were lucky that Adam Fox grew up a Rangers and not an Islanders fan. But otherwise, other than Panarin what free agent have they gotten that was on par with anyone at the top of the draft? Gaborik almost 15 years ago? And Gaborik was complementary sniper not a #1 option.

Reactions: Dijock94

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Rangers were lucky that Adam Fox grew up a Rangers and not an Islanders fan. But otherwise, other than Panarin what free agent have they gotten that was on par with anyone at the top of the draft? Gaborik almost 15 years ago? And Gaborik was complementary sniper not a #1 option.
Fox and Panarin are pretty big modern day examples. I mean that’s your top defender and top forward. You can attribute Fox to his NYR fandom, but we’ve seen many cases where childhood fandoms don’t force a player to a specific market. It was probably the fandom combined with the NYR attractiveness that got Fox completely sold, so there was some effect imo.

Outside of modern day, there’s lots of examples. Like a shit load if you really want to get into it. I mean the 80s Oilers including Messier and a bunch of other non-Oiler hall of famers didn’t all flock Ottawa to bring them a Cup.

The salary cap however has lessened this effect, the Rags can’t go full Yankees but the effect is still there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fox and Panarin are pretty big modern day examples. I mean that’s your top defender and top forward. You can attribute Fox to his NYR fandom, but we’ve seen many cases where childhood fandoms don’t force a player to a specific market. It was probably the fandom combined with the NYR attractiveness that got Fox completely sold, so there was some effect imo.

Outside of modern day, there’s lots of examples. Like a shit load if you really want to get into it. I mean the 80s Oilers including Messier and a bunch of other non-Oiler hall of famers didn’t all flock Ottawa to bring them a Cup.

The salary cap however has lessened this effect, the Rags can’t go full Yankees but the effect is still there.

Pre-cap the UFAs were all old and the Rangers were literally saved by the cap since they spent 7 years with no playoffs without one and Messier was a trade. Fox is questionable with how much NY as a city played a role in it. Panarin sure. Point is, during Lundqvist's entire career we had no superstars precisely because we couldn't get top picks. So I don't think that's a great trade off.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pre-cap the UFAs were all old and the Rangers were literally saved by the cap since they spent 7 years with no playoffs without one and Messier was a trade. Fox is questionable with how much NY as a city played a role in it. Panarin sure. Point is, during Lundqvist's entire career we had no superstars precisely because we couldn't get top picks. So I don't think that's a great trade off.
Older UFAs that were still boatloads better than the trash other teams had to sign in free agency. Maybe they picked the wrong UFAs and just had a streak of bad management in those years, but I don’t think their access to UFAs was low.

Considering that every team in the League would have taken Fox at whatever he wanted contract wise, two teams taking serious runs at doing just that, I’m going to have to think that NY city attractiveness played a role, then pushed over the top with some pajama boy factor. But we can agree to disagree here, neither of us can read his mind.

During Lundqvist there was still competitive teams in that bunch from my recollection. Probably way more playoffs than not. It may not have been Cup Worthy cause of no Superstars, but it was still playoffs worthy with just normal stars. And that in itself is a lot more than other franchises would be able to muster without much drafting success

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Or just don't let players with a history of doing dumb shit like intentionally karate-kicking others into your league.
I honestly don’t mean anything by this at all, but your comment + your avatar is kind of funny (funny is the wrong word, but you know what I mean)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kid needs to be on 1 PP….. not for the simple fact that it will raise his pt totals, but offensive guys truly hone their craft and build more confidence with 1 less defender on the ice….
They try new things and add more subtle moves to their game…
Laf already has the hands/passing/shot/brain to thrive in a PP situation, now it’s about giving him the minutes to fine tune his game…..
You can’t be a big offensive player and put up huge point totals without 1PP time in today’s NHL….
The kid is already a 5 V 5 beast, not unleash him on the PP with Fox/panarin/kreider etc

Right now, he’s a 75-80pt player with 1 PP time

Reactions: byrath

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
would be cool to see him breakout for 80 + points next year.

Lavi has to put him on 1 PP….
Right now he’s getting 20 maybe 30 seconds with no real set up or zone time on the 2nd unit doing a mop up job.

Can’t have 80-90 pts without a 1PP opportunity
Look at the rangers 1st PP… Zibby has a down year, but everyone else is pretty much a PPG and Panarin with more.
Fox was out a time with injury.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad