GDT: “Every day is a fresh start, a blank canvas to paint upon.” (Game #1 - Oct. 9) Flames @ Canucks [8pm MT.... 5am EEST on the 10th]

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sorry but Rooney is Rooney. I just don't see him in any long term future plans for the Flames.. or short term for that matter. Maybe if this was a competitive team vying for the Cup I could see having a 31 year old Roon in the lineup... but we aren't so as far as I'm concerned he's just taking up space and blocking someone from moving up.
Sad to see that he's injured but I honestly would have preferred to start the season with him playing for the Wranglers and someone else with the Flames... Hunt or Kirkland for example.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Alright so that was fun.

Just kidding. I watched the first, when it was 4-1. Then I turned it off. Then I saw it was 5-4 so I turned it on. Then Miller tied it. So I turned it off and Zary won it.

So uhhh no more game watching for me this season. Guaranteed to go 82-0 as a result.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sorry but Rooney is Rooney. I just don't see him in any long term future plans for the Flames.. or short term for that matter. Maybe if this was a competitive team vying for the Cup I could see having a 31 year old Roon in the lineup... but we aren't so as far as I'm concerned he's just taking up space and blocking someone from moving up.
Sad to see that he's injured but I honestly would have preferred to start the season with him playing for the Wranglers and someone else with the Flames... Hunt or Kirkland for example.
So instead of 31 yr old Rooney, who the players like, and who earned a spot on the team, you want 28 yr old low impact journeyman AHL scrubs Hunt or Kirkland, because they're a little bit younger?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He ran over 3-4 Canucks in his 9 minutes ice time, and played smart enough in his own zone. He’s played his last game in the AHL regardless of what people think, he’s gonna have a good career as 4th liner.
This guy looks like a monster on the ice. I hope he becomes an everyday guy. Nice find.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So instead of 31 yr old Rooney, who the players like, and who earned a spot on the team, you want 28 yr old low impact journey man AHL scrubs Hunt or Kirkland, because they're a little bit younger?
Yep. BTW, Hunt scored 22 pts in 23 games with the Wranglers last year as well as potting 8 pts in 28 games with the Flames. He's certainly had a bigger impact than Rooney with his 4 pts in 34 Flames games and 1 pt in 4 games with the Wranglers.. but yes.. apparently he is a real swell guy. BTW, has anybody complained about Hunt not being a nice guy?
Don't want an AHL scrub as you've labelled them? Hell, I'd rather give 25 year old Sam Morton a shot at centering the 4th line over soon to be over the hill but all around nice guy, Kevin Rooney.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just watched the highlights. Have to say, Bahl was impressive on that keep in for the Pospisil goal. Maybe some additional offensive upside there?

Regardless, even if that defence is going to struggle on the cycle, I'm hoping we can replicate that 2014-15 team that shit out points from the back end. Makes for a far more entertaining team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just watched the highlights. Have to say, Bahl was impressive on that keep in for the Pospisil goal. Maybe some additional offensive upside there?

Regardless, even if that defence is going to struggle on the cycle, I'm hoping we can replicate that 2014-15 team that shit out points from the back end. Makes for a far more entertaining team.

Bahl lost his positioning a little bit during the powerplays, but he's a young guy still learning the role.
I liked the size and that he seemed more than happy to engage physically in scrums and in front of the net.

I've said it all along, we need to send Bahl to the Sutter School of Zadorov Improvements

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Some main takeaways I had from the game:

-Zary looks to have taken a leap not a step. He looks even faster this year and a lot more confident with the puck on his stick. Coach sees it too. 18 minutes of ice time last night.

-Zary and Pospisil as an OT unit speaks the same. Even Pospisil has earned a lot of trust, he’s currently proving me wrong with everything I was saying about him.

-Team as a whole looks like it could give teams fits with this wave offense. Being able to roll 3 lines capable of producing good was what last years team should’be been able to do, the new additions and young players stepping up might actually be able to pull it off this year.

-Not completely falling for it yet but Mantha could be a fan favorite if he manages a semblance of that effort nightly. Great way to win the locker room over in your first game.

-Team defense will be terrible this year, and Vladar didn’t exactly inspire confidence with his play either. Sure it was early season so the system is going to be loosely followed at best, but it was chaos out there. If Wolf doesn’t take a huge step this year, we are going to see a lot of 5-4, 4-3 hockey games.

Reactions: BRobMint

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Bahl lost his positioning a little bit during the powerplays, but he's a young guy still learning the role.
I liked the size and that he seemed more than happy to engage physically in scrums and in front of the net.

I've said it all along, we need to send Bahl to the Sutter School of Zadorov Improvements
I’ll reserve judgement on Bahl until he’s had 20-40 games. Young guy on a new team who missed most of camp isn’t the easiest role to be in. I love his tools though

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Some main takeaways I had from the game:

-Zary looks to have taken a leap not a step. He looks even faster this year and a lot more confident with the puck on his stick. Coach sees it too. 18 minutes of ice time last night.

-Zary and Pospisil as an OT unit speaks the same. Even Pospisil has earned a lot of trust, he’s currently proving me wrong with everything I was saying about him.

-Team as a whole looks like it could give teams fits with this wave offense. Being able to roll 3 lines capable of producing good was what last years team should’be been able to do, the new additions and young players stepping up might actually be able to pull it off this year.

-Not completely falling for it yet but Mantha could be a fan favorite if he manages a semblance of that effort nightly. Great way to win the locker room over in your first game.

-Team defense will be terrible this year, and Vladar didn’t exactly inspire confidence with his play either. Sure it was early season so the system is going to be loosely followed at best, but it was chaos out there. If Wolf doesn’t take a huge step this year, we are going to see a lot of 5-4, 4-3 hockey games.
Devastating if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad