Votes: 32 19.2%
  • Gaeten Haas

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like the fact that hes bringing in some players to create more competition.

I hope he can bring in one winger that has some top 6 potential though, who has the ability to work with RNH.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
JP + Benning for Faulk ois what I am hoping for myself. Saves all kinds of real money for CAR and gets Aho a friend after the offer sheet business
Plus our team isn't winning anything without an OFD. People were making fun of Canucks for signing Myers but I wish we did that. Just watch what the Canucks D will do to us this season. All we did was downgrade by losing Sekera

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Spend money on a bunch of stuff that probably won't pan out instead of actually grabbing a top 6 winger in Nyquist. 5.45 for Smith/Granlund/Chiasson instead of 5.5 for Nyquist.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
What does the minor league team look like with all the new contracts now??? Looks like Holland spent a lot (free cap wise) to make them better which he always done in DET

Assume Benson (1LW) Marody (4C) Currie (4RW) Cave (13F) Jones (5D) Bear (7D) Puljujarvi (Europe) are not available it is still strong

Jurco ??? ???
Nygard Haas Yamamoto
Gambardella Malone Russell
Vesey Hebig Maksimov
Iacobellis Esposito

Lagesson Persson
Lowe Day
Samurokov Bouchard
Manning lol

I for one would be happy if McLeod goes back to the O I think he could use an extra year to explore the offensive side of his game but could see him with Bakersfield too

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Do we even get 10 wins next season? I expect McDavid and Drai both demand trades by Christmas, we honour the requests by the trade deadline and announce that the franchise is moving to Atlanta for next season. The Atlanta Oilers proceeds to win the cup in the first season there.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Not too far off.
Looks like its just under $4M according to @48g90a138pts and Cap Friendly.

With Haas on the Oilers and Manning buried, Jones up, I think it is just under $3.3mil cap space left. But that's still with a 22 man roster. 13F,7D,2G. So maybe another one of our young dmen up take off another...say 925k for Bouchard leaves the Oilers around $2.3mil cap.

Edit: Nvm, with Haas up that would be 23 players. 14F,7D,2G

So $3.3mil cap left:silly:

Reactions: guymez

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
To make people feel better here is a list of all the players the Oilers have acquired between July 2 and the start of the season the past five years.

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman

Actually that's not encouraging at all.

Oh but it's not the city, right? Many fans live in a vaccume and cant come to the harsh reality the most players would rather play anywhere but Edmonton.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I like the fact that hes bringing in some players to create more competition.

I hope he can bring in one winger that has some top 6 potential though, who has the ability to work with RNH.

I’d like that guy to be Ferland. He’s a tenacious forechecker, has wheels, and goes to the net hard. Could put up 20 goals, 40 points playing with Nuge.

For me, a move like that would salvage an otherwise dismal off-season. 3 yrs, 10 mil, 3.33 per

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What does the minor league team look like with all the new contracts now??? Looks like Holland spent a lot (free cap wise) to make them better which he always done in DET

Assume Benson (1LW) Marody (4C) Currie (4RW) Cave (13F) Jones (5D) Bear (7D) Puljujarvi (Europe) are not available it is still strong

Jurco ??? ???
Nygard Haas Yamamoto
Gambardella Malone Russell
Vesey Hebig Maksimov
Iacobellis Esposito

Lagesson Persson
Lowe Day
Samurokov Bouchard
Manning lol

I for one would be happy if McLeod goes back to the O I think he could use an extra year to explore the offensive side of his game but could see him with Bakersfield too
McLeod doesn't need to go back as an overage player, he's already played 4 seasons in the OHL. His game is built for pro hockey and he will benefit from playing against bigger stronger players where he has to learn to attack the middle of the ice more to create offence. I think his offence will benefit a lot more from structured hockey in the AHL/NHL than in junior because he has the speed and smarts to score where there's more structure, but I don't think he has the consistent skill to just dominate kids in junior. Give him a complementary or 2-way support role and I expect him to succeed.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
With Haas on the Oilers and Manning buried, Jones up, I think it is just under $3.3mil cap space left. But that's still with a 22 man roster. 13F,7D,2G. So maybe another one of our young dmen up take off another...say 925k for Bouchard leaves the Oilers around $2.3mil cap.
I think that is very conservative to carry 8 D at a time. At all times I would expect 2 of Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Persson/Bouchard to be on the roster rotating in the 6 and 7D role while the others are in the A playing heavy minutes.

3.3M in cap is right if we have Jones replace Manning and Persson stay up at his 1M.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’d like that guy to be Ferland. He’s a tenacious forechecker, has wheels, and goes to the net hard. Could put up 20 goals, 40 points playing with Nuge.

For me, a move like that would salvage an otherwise dismal off-season. 3 yrs, 10 mil, 3.33 per

I think it should be probably done as a trade.

Dzingel and Johansson are interesting adds if the contract isnt bad, but I doubt we are on their radar.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Do we even get 10 wins next season? I expect McDavid and Drai both demand trades by Christmas, we honour the requests by the trade deadline and announce that the franchise is moving to Atlanta for next season. The Atlanta Oilers proceeds to win the cup in the first season there.
Well they won 35 games last season and the roster is no worse today than it was last season, so I'm gonna say yes they get 10 wins.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To make people feel better here is a list of all the players the Oilers have acquired between July 2 and the start of the season the past five years.

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman

Actually that's not encouraging at all.

I respect the effort but there is no consoling the whiners on here.

I honestly cant remember the last time I read so much stupid in multiple threads. Its like a bunch of people who are just miserable and use this forum as a vehicle to vent instead of for intelligent dialogue.
So much of what I see from these posters is about reaching a final conlcusion on Holland...which is beyond dumb. What the F did they expect him to do....lol
In any event most of them will never be happy regardless of what Holland does.
They can all wallow in their own misery IMO. :D

That aside....a couple of things.
The Oilers will almost always have to pay more than most teams for UFA's. There are some exceptions but not many. Thats just the reality of having a team in an arctic climate and in one of the worst travel situations in the NHL. Secondly this team is in cap hell and as such Holland has very little to work with.
Holland was also very clear that he would not be that involved in the first day or 2 of the UFA frenzy.
He held true to his word but that STILL doesnt prevent the same drama queens from going off....lol

In any event I am fine with what was accomplished today. Not thrilled with it but I am fine with it.
I dont see one contract that will be an issue and there are a couple of pretty good bets like Granlund. So far Holland has spent very little and increased the potential goal scoring capacity of the team. He also created room for a dman fro Bakersfield which needed to happen.
Holland still has room to make a trade as well which I expect will happen by the end of the week.

This isnt a quick fix...small incremental changes and improvements to the roster and big improvements to the structure of the team and better puck management. This is where most of the gains will be made this season IMO.

Its fun to dream about some 2nd tier UFA's being signed but its not very realistic at all.
This is pretty much what we should have expected today and the best part is that he didnt do anything stupid.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Edit: Nvm, with Haas up that would be 23 players. 14F,7D,2G

So $3.3mil cap left:silly:

But whoever we bring in would knock someone else down to the farm, so we could afford someone in the 4M range, but Holland wants some wiggle room so most likely another 2-2.5M player.

I still think we need to attach some prospects and picks to Russell/Gagner/Lucic and try to upgrade via trade.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Spend money on a bunch of stuff that probably won't pan out instead of actually grabbing a top 6 winger in Nyquist. 5.45 for Smith/Granlund/Chiasson instead of 5.5 for Nyquist.
Hmmm...maybe Nyquist was never signing here. Did that occur to you????

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I think that is very conservative to carry 8 D at a time. At all times I would expect 2 of Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Persson/Bouchard to be on the roster rotating in the 6 and 7D role while the others are in the A playing heavy minutes.

3.3M in cap is right if we have Jones replace Manning and Persson stay up at his 1M.

The forwards prospects are definitely not gifted any openings this year that's for sure. It will be a good competition to see who grabs the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad