College Hockey ‘Reaching the end of its useful life’: As historic Matthews Arena faces foundational issues, Northeastern weighs new arena

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:oops:o_O:eek3::cry:

1715371222629.png

The university is currently “explor[ing] opportunities to build a new arena in the near future,” a spokesperson said in a statement to The News.

“Matthews Arena is more than a century old and reaching the end of its useful life,” the university said. “It has recently undergone structural modifications that will temporarily extend its use. Simultaneously, the university has been making long-term assessments regarding the increasing demand for state-of-the-art athletic and recreational facilities, and the existing building’s limitations to meet them.”

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Would be sad to see it go, I learned how to skate there. Sounds like it wouldn't be feasible to preserve without enormous sums of money.

Reactions: Gordoff

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
I’ve been a Northeastern fan since the Bruce Racine days and I’ve been going to games since 1997 when my friends all went to NU and gave me free tickets up the wazoo. I love Matthews Arena but I totally understand why it needs to be replaced, it’s dilapidated and they’ve had to close off some sections due to structural issues. When it’s time, it’s time.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm a BU fan but have seen tons of games on St. Botolph St.(and played a few there, in the NESHL), going back to the Rico Rossi days, and love the place and love how NU has kept it up nicely. I was at the BU-NU game in late January and the west balcony was closed off while the other end was packed. A few days later, College Hockey News had an article about the apparent foundational issues. It will be sad to see it replaced, but it has served Boston well, especially in its hockey history. Babe Ruth skated there.

1715431878821.png

1715443449991.png

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I can see it. I used to take T in to see high school hockey 50 years ago. Then add in the Whalers for bit.
Had good atmosphere and sight lines.
Also , back in 60s and 70s some of the best french fries I ever had.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember (IIRC) the chain link (or was it chicken wire) fencing that the Arena had prior to the advent of using the modern Acrylic glass that they use today.
I was fascinated by seeing that as a kid at Whalers games.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I can see it. I used to take T in to see high school hockey 50 years ago. Then add in the Whalers for bit.
Had good atmosphere and sight lines.
Also , back in 60s and 70s some of the best french fries I ever had.
Remember watching my first HS hockey game in 1962-63 season there in 2nd grade
then spending Saturdays next two seasons watching GBI games.

My son played Club Hockey there in 2006-07 against NU. Really great rink and memories.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Damn. My favorite place to watch a game. And I skated there a bunch in my NESHL days as well. Nothing lasts forever, including the greatest hockey barn of them all.

I saw Ukraine beat team USA at the World Juniors at Matthews, I think in 1995. Brian Berard was the stud on team USA.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins and the NHL wanted to play a game at Matthews for the official 100th Anniversary on December 1, 2024.

The NHL sent their special events crew to see what was needed and quickly found out there were structural issues with the building.

Reactions: Runner77

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I saw the plans for the temp fix work, it was a pretty tricky project. NU 2005 here, had alot of fun watching hockey there. I have my own dislike of now NU has lost it's way, but Matthews is not one of them. Sad if it has to go.

Will try to make it there next year with the kids. Way better deal than TD Garden

Reactions: SPB2776

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I saw the plans for the temp fix work, it was a pretty tricky project. NU 2005 here, had alot of fun watching hockey there. I have my own dislike of now NU has lost it's way, but Matthews is not one of them. Sad if it has to go.

Will try to make it there next year with the kids. Way better deal than TD Garden
I graduated in 2000 in the summer graduation at Matthews. Skated there a few times while I was on campus and went to a bunch of games, too.

I'm glad I took my son there for a game last season. I got to explain the history of the building to him and tell him about how important the arena is. He was 7 at the time, so he didn't really care all that much. But one of the rink guys gave him a puck, and that, to this day, is one of the highlights of his life.

Will be awful seeing it go, much like watching the Garden go out, but it sounds like Northeastern doesn't have much choice and it's time for Matthews to be retired. Hopefully Northeastern is able to bring the spirit of Matthews into the new rink better than the Bruins did when they built TD Garden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad