GDT: ‘Nucks host Nashville- “To Catch a Predator “ + ‘Nucks Play Strong Edition- Sat. 7pm PT/ 10pm ET/ Sun. 4am CET/ 11am HKT

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think Bruce likes to send a message to younger players, when he thinks that their play is slipping a little.

That's about the only 'rationale' you can come up with for playing a career AHL'er like Dries ahead of Podkolzin.

As far as sticking with Stillman over Burroughs and Rathbone....well the 'strategy' there is anyone's guess. Bruce 'there it is' stubbornness I guess.

Dries does play center while Podz doesn't, so there is that rationale. Stud played better vs ANA so I'm fine keeping the fourth line together, and a night in the press box could be a good thing for Podkolzin.

The Stillman love from Boudreau is baffling. I don't feel we lose much if any toughness or physical play by having Burroughs in the line up instead. And we would improve in every other facet. I guess there's something to be said for letting a new player have a few games to get his feet under him, but yeah not really.

Rathbone I understand not being in the lineup. Really don't have a partner for him, and Rathbone's defensive play is just too suspect at this point. Also need a PKer in that spot, rather than a 3rd LHS PP option.

If OEL-Bear can continue where they left off vs ANA, and Dermott actually gets cleared to play in the near future, a Dermott-Myers pairing could be solid. Still leaves Burroughs on the outside, but short of trading Myers, that's pretty certain if Bear keeps playing well.

But as long as Stillman is seeing the ice over Burroughs, there's reason to question the competency of this coaching staff. At least for me, this erodes any benefit of the doubt Bruce gets for his decisions.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Was scanning through our 5v5 scoring, and wow outside of Petey/Kuze, it's trash. Boeser is 3rd with 4 points and he hasn't even played half the season. If Canucks wanna rally off some wins the best players we'll need to be better at 5v5.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A bunch of us, myself included were fooled into the 3 strong centers and good top 9 before Bozo went full Simple Jack

I don’t think anyone was fooled. He was primarily a C here for two seasons. At worst he should be able to lead a line that is sheltered in the offensive zone. I’d be shocked if he can’t do that in the future. No matter what the team needs either a traditional match-up centre or solid second-line guy. Basically the role Horvat currently fills.

The problem is still there’s a massive glut of bottom-pairing defencemen throughout the roster and a mishmash of wingers that can’t find any consistency. That they can’t find a way to make it work with Miller at C has only exasperated the situation.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Was scanning through our 5v5 scoring, and wow outside of Petey/Kuze, it's trash. Boeser is 3rd with 4 points and he hasn't even played half the season. If Canucks wanna rally off some wins the best players we'll need to be better at 5v5.

vancouver's ev scoring is trash because their defense can't link up with their forwards to create anything in the neutral zone or on the rush. you either need to be an elite forechecking/cycle team or you need to create in transition to score at ev and the canucks are pretty awful at both. bear will help a little bit in the short term but they need to get schenn, myers and stillman out of the lineup or they need to completely remake the forward group

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
About the game, this is a stupidly important one. There are winnable games but, between this game and San Jose, they should all be tough. Each of those teams should look at the Canucks as the team that will stop their skid.

It’s fully possible the Canucks go on a run. Drop this game and it’ll just sink them further.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I don’t think anyone was fooled. He was primarily a C here for two seasons. At worst he should be able to lead a line that is sheltered in the offensive zone. I’d be shocked if he can’t do that in the future. No matter what the team needs either a traditional match-up centre or solid second-line guy. Basically the role Horvat currently fills.

The problem is still there’s a massive glut of bottom-pairing defencemen throughout the roster and a mishmash of wingers that can’t find any consistency. That they can’t find a way to make it work with Miller at C has only exasperated the situation.
He hasnt been the same without the 649 line. Only Pettersson has excelled this season away from that line. Once Boeser is back that line needs reuniting 5v5 to make his trade more palatable and to jumpstart Miller if that still doesnt work then we are back to where we are now. Or maybe even regress with Pete and Kuz slumping. The roster is whack right now. We just need a fairly big roster overhaul

Reactions: Ginger Papa

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Burroughs is more physical than Stillman.

i don't disagree, but just go look at how bruce talks about stillman vs how he talks about burroughs. he clearly thinks stillman brings more physicality

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He hasnt been the same without the 649 line. Only Pettersson has excelled this season away from that line. Once Boeser is back that line needs reuniting 5v5 to make his trade more palatable and to jumpstart Miller if that still doesnt work then we are back to where we are now. Or maybe even regress with Pete and Kuz slumping. The roster is whack right now. We just need a fairly big roster overhaul

A Garland/Hoglander-Miller-Boeser should work with proper instruction and execution. Only start them in the offensive zone. Make Garland and Boeser shoot the puck as much as possible. Force rebounds and offensive face offs. Just simple as can be.

That’s not what this coaching staff has been doing though. It’s really strange because they did that with Pettersson last season.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Okay, here's what I'm telling(deluding) myself:
- management, not to mention the coaches, know what they have in Burroughs and they like him and plan to keep him. That he's low cost is a bonus.
- for the purposes of future trades, they need more time to evaluate the other D and showcase them as appropriate.

That better be the reason for keeping Burroughs out (for now).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
About the game, this is a stupidly important one. There are winnable games but, between this game and San Jose, they should all be tough. Each of those teams should look at the Canucks as the team that will stop their skid.

It’s fully possible the Canucks go on a run. Drop this game and it’ll just sink them further.
Remind me not to ask you for an inspirational speech to the troops.:sarcasm::naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: me2 and Vector

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Predators have an almost identical record to the Canucks; just one more point. If the Canucks don't want to be out of contention before December like they were last year they need to win games like this.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad