Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Is the draft before or after Rakell can negotiate an extension? With this year's draft being seen as weak and more of a wild card because of the pandemic, I wonder if a team like Buffalo would deal their pick for an extended Rakell, which could give us a second shot at good player. Buffalo would get a top line winger to play with Eichel (assuming he's still there and wants to make playoffs), Ducks get a shot at a long term piece or a second first to trade up if they really like a player. This is depending on where they pick, but there should be some borderline team that would pay for Rakell with extension.

Rakell cannot negotiate a new contract until July 1st.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It looks like the 2021 draft is scheduled for the end of July (23rd-24th), so that would work. Everyone would know where they pick and could work out the extension prior to the draft.

That would be super scummy to sign him and then turn around and trade him weeks later.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That would be super scummy to sign him and then turn around and trade him weeks later.

I don't mean us to sign him, I mean give the other team a chance to sign agree to a contract prior to the trade. That gives 3 weeks to work out a trade for him and for the team acquiring him to figure out an extension that they are happy with. That could increase his value considerably, especially if we retain on next year, trade him, and the team trading for him already has agreed to a reasonable extension. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Cause I saw this season coming a mile away, and I'm fairly sure Bob is going to step down at the end of the season anyway. I have privately wanted a change at the helm, or at least a publicly announced change in direction, for a while now, and while his "retooling on the fly" idea seemed valiant enough at the start I never truly thought we could pull it off. And that was always going to become apparent.

Now remains the question, what will the current regime do? Time for change is ripe, yeah, but I'd be fine seeing things to the end of the season before cleaning house unless Bob royally messes up. And the idea of trading for Virtanen is definitely right up there. The nonsensical "we'll be competing for playoffs" sentiment at the start was already a bad enough sign, but this is downright alarming.

yeah I disagree. If we leave Murray for the rest of the year, I see him screwing it up worse.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Virtanen is a classic buy low and hope that he magically puts something together on a different team move. Chances are he doesn't but Murray looks like a genius if he does.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Ritchie had a major discipline problem. He would take penalties that were often selfish, don’t know vertanen, other than “ it’s getting Ritchie back “ but if this dude isn’t a penalty magnet. Then it most certainly is an upgrade ( if other parts of game similar ) edit: I was a big Ritchie fan, this team lacks toughness and emotion . We need that back . Sorry to offend the smaller nerdy people in this chat

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ritchie had a major discipline problem. He would take penalties that were often selfish, don’t know vertanen, other than “ it’s getting Ritchie back “ but if this dude isn’t a penalty magnet. Then it most certainly is an upgrade ( if other parts of game similar )

They are kind of similar in that they are both big and can throw their body around. But Virtanen's work ethic and consistency issues make Ritchie look like Crosby in comparison. Virtanen is a much better skater but his vision and playmaking ability is much worse than Ritchies. He does take less penalties though but isn't an angel in that regard either.

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I like Heinen but if he's not working out here I don't hate it. I have thought Virtanen could do well if he got out of Vancouver, and if he did that here it would be great. Also wondered if they'd be looking at Gaudette but given the logjam that already exists I can't see them adding even more bodies unless some are going out.

Curious about the next year salary holding things up. Its a decent chunk of change but Heinen would be at a similar number. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Ritchie had a major discipline problem. He would take penalties that were often selfish, don’t know vertanen, other than “ it’s getting Ritchie back “ but if this dude isn’t a penalty magnet. Then it most certainly is an upgrade ( if other parts of game similar ) edit: I was a big Ritchie fan, this team lacks toughness and emotion . We need that back . Sorry to offend the smaller nerdy people in this chat
Ritchie had low iq when he was playing for us. Makes dumbass penalties and turns the puck over without doing much of anything

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Man it’s just really tough here. Lately with everything going on I really can’t help but thinking to just blow it all up. I was a big staunch Murray supporter but something has to give. I can’t believe he really thought we were going to make the playoffs with this roster. How can Eakins really succeed when this roster only has been marginally better? The only improvements I notice are legitimately: Hakanpaa, Lundestrom and Comtois. Everyone else has been a disappointment.

The team has gotten so boring to watch, it’s goddamn embarrassing. Not to get too OT, but with the way my personal life is going, (new baby on the way, slowly moving into a new house, unemployed during COVID), the one thing I look forward to is this team playing. The effort they have put in for the last stretch of games just makes me not even motivated to watch it. I live in the northeast so it’s a good excuse to just go to bed early enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad