What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Patience.

The more I think about it this has to be the key. There is apparently a lot of potential with our young guys. I would not trade any of them now.

This team just finished with the 4th worst record. It is far away from becoming a Cup contender. There is no silver bullet to propel them to the top.

Buyout Elvis or trade him if you can (which I doubt). Ride the Tarasov/Greaves/FA Vet trio for a year or two to get a good read on the kids.

Hire a coach (and a staff) who can develop the kids and commit to them for a reasonable term. 4 years?

Let Mateychuk,Grindley,Jiricek, et al play most of the year in Cleveland if that is where their development will be most effective.

Cautiously add vet UFAs that can help the development. NO BIG $ guys. Roster space will be limited so this will be hard to do.

Have patience.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Patience.

The more I think about it this has to be the key. There is apparently a lot of potential with our young guys. I would not trade any of them now.
You can be patient while evaluating/streamlining the talent pool. I think others have said we have redundancies in certain types of players. i.e. small fast players.

I am 100% for turning redundancies into attempts to fill needs/gaps. It won't be as simple as acquiring a Matthew Tkachuk and making the finals but it is a major step necessary for improvement.

Reactions: Forepar

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
You can be patient while evaluating/streamlining the talent pool. I think others have said we have redundancies in certain types of players. i.e. small fast players.

I am 100% for turning redundancies into attempts to fill needs/gaps. It won't be as simple as acquiring a Matthew Tkachuk and making the finals but it is a major step necessary for improvement.
Matthew Tkachuk is a very good gap filler.

Reactions: Forepar

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Patience.

This team just finished with the 4th worst record. It is far away from becoming a Cup contender. There is no silver bullet to propel them to the top.

Buyout Elvis or trade him if you can (which I doubt). Ride the Tarasov/Greaves/FA Vet trio for a year or two to get a good read on the kids.

Hire a coach (and a staff) who can develop the kids and commit to them for a reasonable term. 4 years?

Let Mateychuk,Grindley,Jiricek, et al play most of the year in Cleveland if that is where their development will be most effective.

Cautiously add vet UFAs that can help the development. NO BIG $ guys. Roster space will be limited so this will be hard to do.

Have patience.
I wish any of the vet UFAs would look at us. Unfortunately, they all are looking for contenders so the only way to get them is to back up the Brinks truck.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I wish any of the vet UFAs would look at us. Unfortunately, they all are looking for contenders so the only way to get them is to back up the Brinks truck.
My main target would be Brenden Dillon. That allows them to start Mateychuk in Cleveland and move Provorov whenever. He'd be an excellent partner for Jiricek, and eventually a third pairing of him and Gudbranson would be enormous and very hard to play against.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
My main target would be Brenden Dillon. That allows them to start Mateychuk in Cleveland and move Provorov whenever. He'd be an excellent partner for Jiricek, and eventually a third pairing of him and Gudbranson would be enormous and very hard to play against.
I've got a long list Pavelski, Martinez, Johnson, etc. but again I can't see any cup winner with experience deciding to become a player-coach. Honestly, at this point, I do wonder if the only UFAs that make sense would be a UFA at the top of the market (Matt Murray?) to make sure that the young players have some insurance when they screw up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mine would have been Matt Roy but Jarmo killed that dream with the Severson contract.

How much term would you give Dillon?

Dillon just had maybe his best season, at age 33. He's moving really well. So realistically he isn't a guy who has to accept a two year deal. He'll get 4 year offers.

We have a lot of cap room for the short term, but not enough to do a 4 year overpay. I would present some 2 or 3 year overpays and see if he's interested.

There's a chance that someone offers $4m x 4 and I wouldn't try and top that. If his best 4 year offer is $3.5m x 4 though, then he might prefer a $4.25m x 3 or a $5.25m x 2.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Mine would have been Matt Roy but Jarmo killed that dream with the Severson contract.

How much term would you give Dillon?
I'd prefer to go higher AAV and less term, especially since he's already 33. But since he's already 33, he's probably looking for his "retirement" contract therefore longer term but maybe lower AAV. So it's tricky. His last deal was 4x3.9 and he was worth every penny. I'd give him the Gudbranson deal, I think.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'd prefer to go higher AAV and less term, especially since he's already 33. But since he's already 33, he's probably looking for his "retirement" contract therefore longer term but maybe lower AAV. So it's tricky. His last deal was 4x3.9 and he was worth every penny. I'd give him the Gudbranson deal, I think.
he's a 33-year-old who is built for playoff hockey, so he will either:
  1. be looking to take less money to chase a cup, or
  2. be looking to cash in and maximize the bag before retirement
there are a lot of guys on the free agent market this year who fit that profile to some degree. the first path eliminates the blue jackets, and the second path is one the blue jackets should avoid.

Reactions: squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
he's a 33-year-old who is built for playoff hockey, so he will either:
  1. be looking to take less money to chase a cup, or
  2. be looking to cash in and maximize the bag before retirement
there are a lot of guys on the free agent market this year who fit that profile to some degree. the first path eliminates the blue jackets, and the second path is one the blue jackets should avoid.

There's a few other numbers you can add to your list. Try "wife wants to raise kids in a quiet midwestern city", etc... etc...

Do we think Erik Gudbranson is just cashing it in? He's a limited overpaid player but he's not been lazy for us.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
There's a few other numbers you can add to your list. Try "wife wants to raise kids in a quiet midwestern city", etc... etc...

Do we think Erik Gudbranson is just cashing it in? He's a limited overpaid player but he's not been lazy for us.
my point is that, unless a cup contender offers a market-value contract, most of these guys are willing to leave money/term on the table in order to maximize their chances at a cup. teams like the jackets need to overpay – both in term and AAV – to overcome that.

that's exactly what happened with gudbranson – who, for the record, i actually really like – and it doesn't mean that those guys coast when they get here, either.

it's not just a matter of having the highest offer, it's a matter of it being significantly higher to the point where it's financially prudent for the player to take "best chance to finally win a cup" out of the equation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
my point is that, unless a cup contender offers a market-value contract, most of these guys are willing to leave money/term on the table in order to maximize their chances at a cup. teams like the jackets need to overpay – both in term and AAV – to overcome that.

that's exactly what happened with gudbranson – who, for the record, i actually really like – and it doesn't mean that those guys coast when they get here, either.

it's not just a matter of having the highest offer, it's a matter of it being significantly higher to the point where it's financially prudent for the player to take "best chance to finally win a cup" out of the equation.

Okay I got you. Well yes we are debating whether to make an overpay offer.

If we are only interested in offering him what Vegas would pay him then we'd almost all be in favor and we would certainly not get the player.

I think the case for an overpay, if the term is short, is very good. We get a leader and a guy that can play shutdown middle pair minutes.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yeah I would guess so. Maybe I think too much of NHL managers, but I doubt anyone offered him the same or more.

But I dont think cashing in on the biggest available contract always means the player gets lazy or doesnt want to win (except for PLD lol). Most athletes get to the highest level because they love their sport and/or hate losing. I dont think joining a rebuild for the money changes that. It's just a pure financial decision.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Yeah I would guess so. Maybe I think too much of NHL managers, but I doubt anyone offered him the same or more.

But I dont think cashing in on the biggest available contract always means the player gets lazy or doesnt want to win (except for PLD lol). Most athletes get to the highest level because they love their sport and/or hate losing. I dont think joining a rebuild for the money changes that. It's just a pure financial decision.
We know for a fact the Wings did, then they got chiarot instead.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

My concern is which small fast player should we trade? Is KJ better than Chinakov? Will Grindley rise above his 2nd rd draft pick status and become our Brayden Point? Can Marchenko be considered fast? Is Sillinger fast? Nylander is fast but will he continue to produce like he did this season?

Most players we could obtain via trade for a small, fast guy are not likely to drastically improve this team. Maybe there is a FA out there that could but that is a different discussion point.

I'd rather wait and see what a different coach can get out of these guys before we ship them off to become the next Karlsson or JAM.

Now if Brady Tkachuk or a young guy of that talent level could be obtained for a couple of the young guys I'd be ok with that. As an aside Friedman mentioned on his podcast that he thought one of the plusses Travis Green will bring to Ottawa is his relationship with Keith Tkachuk and by extension Brady. I don't think Brady is going to be on the block any time soon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My concern is which small fast player should we trade? Is KJ better than Chinakov? Will Grindley rise above his 2nd rd draft pick status and become our Brayden Point? Can Marchenko be considered fast? Is Sillinger fast? Nylander is fast but will he continue to produce like he did this season?

Most players we could obtain via trade for a small, fast guy are not likely to drastically improve this team. Maybe there is a FA out there that could but that is a different discussion point.

I'd rather wait and see what a different coach can get out of these guys before we ship them off to become the next Karlsson or JAM.

Now if Brady Tkachuk or a young guy of that talent level could be obtained for a couple of the young guys I'd be ok with that. As an aside Friedman mentioned on his podcast that he thought one of the plusses Travis Green will bring to Ottawa is his relationship with Keith Tkachuk and by extension Brady. I don't think Brady is going to be on the block any time soon.
Fair. But if we have a lot of small fast guys for example, only a certain amount of ice time is available for those guys otherwise they are being forced into roles they are not ideal for.

I do agree there needs to be some evaluation. It doesn’t need to be a season long evaluation but there will be a point you need to make a choice and find people to fill roles from your excess. Maybe even the trade gets perceived as a loss on paper but could still be a positive to the team overall.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Well if the Rangers punch their ticket on Sunday evening. CBJ could be interviewing Eric Tulsky next week??

This was his write up last season when he was in the running for GM of the Pengiuns

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Mark Hunter

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Mark Hunter

As mentioned above, it’s believed Hunter was mainly in charge of the Maple Leafs drafting for the 2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts. To say those drafts were underwhelming for Toronto would be an understatement. The Leafs drafting in that three year period should be a major red flag for the Flames.

Here’s how it breaks down.

During the three-year stretch, the Maple Leafs picked a total of 27 times. Of those 27 picks, 10 have played NHL games. That said, only five have played over 50 NHL games, and two of those were top five picks in Matthews and Marner who were both guarantees to reach the 50-game mark in their rookie years.

Outside of the three first-round picks the Leafs made under Hunter, they picked 24 times between rounds two and seven. Only seven of those picks have played NHL games, and only two have played over 50 NHL games. Yes, only two out of 24 players selected.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Darche would be my choice. He's been here, if he disliked his stay he probably wouldn't come back.
(Of course I dont know if he did or didnt) It would be nice to have someone who is fond of the area and fans and be here because they want to be and not being "The man" as the sole reason.

My fear is (and its a minute chance) that team Canada does well and the club says, "See, Nash is a great GM candidate "!
He may well be just that but are we willing to go that route? Darche with Nash as an assistant would be fine. Dont think Nash is jumping ahead that quick that some time here would.be impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad