WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Canucks beat the Predators in every game and won their series too. Regular season head-to-head match-ups don't mean a whole lot for the playoffs. The thing is, it seems to be a straw man argument being thrown around in the media. No one that matters is arguing that because the Canucks swept the Oilers in the regular season that means they'll beat the Oilers in the playoffs. It's just a talking point because most pundits don't have the capability(and in fairness, time) of digging deeper into a series and analyzing tactics, counter-moves, and specific match-ups.

It's a stupid headline just to create a story. Honestly, it means nothing. Even if it did, it still wouldn't mean anything in this specific matchup.
Oilers were absolute hot garbage of a team when Canucks beat them the first 3 times. Canucks easily wrecked them when just about any other team in the league would have as well. Then their last meeting, they didn't have McDavid.

Only an absolute homer would make a comparable comparison saying it's a wash because Demko wasn't there either. DeSmith actually played a great game, one that Demko would have provided little to improve. McDavid would have made that game a lot different, no way denying it if you're honest. Losing him would be like losing at least Quinn Hughes on the Canucks team.

So point is, this has been an untested matchup, one that has little bearing on the 4 regular season games.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It is simply delicious that Vancouver has yet to lose a game to the Oilers all season.

The Canucks are in their heads now. Can't not be after tonight. I said earlier that the main advantage I think the Canucks have in this series is mental fortitude. They have been incredibly even-keeled all year, while the Oilers are all over the map. This is the kind of game that could cause serious morale droopage over there, especially because they can't trust their goalie.

Game 2 will be huge to see what kind of response they come back with. Canucks need to step on the neck.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
It is simply delicious that Vancouver has yet to lose a game to the Oilers all season.

The Canucks are in their heads now. Can't not be after tonight. I said earlier that the main advantage I think the Canucks have in this series is mental fortitude. They have been incredibly even-keeled all year, while the Oilers are all over the map. This is the kind of game that could cause serious morale droopage over there, especially because they can't trust their goalie.

Game 2 will be huge to see what kind of response they come back with. Canucks need to step on the neck.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think I harped on the Oilers being bad so far, 5on5 enough before g1, but I was not expecting any of this. McDavid and Draisaitl must be playing hurt, there is no way they are that bad 5on5.
I feel like Miller has always owned McDavid but that might be a notion that doesnt hold up to the scrutiny of statistical analysis. In any case, McDavid will struggle to produce, much like Pettersson is, if he can be contained on the inside with mediocre playdriving wingers on the outside. Hyman is obviously better than Hoglander and Mikheyev, but Janmark is not, and even Hyman is just this seasons version of RNH to some degree (just dont let him on the PP). Without stacking the top line (which may be impossible if Drai is hurt, and also a terrible idea against a Canucks team that already has 3 lines that are utterly caving in the Oilers lack of depth), it'll be even easier to keep throwing Suter-Miller-Boeser/Hughes-Hronek at him and him in particular all series. If they try double shifting him (and Drai), Lindholm should be able to contain a tired McDavid.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
So do we take Cole out of the lineup or what?

Not that Juulsen is an upgrade, but that was legitimately the worst game I've seen from a Canucks defenceman that I can remember.

Not only was he directly responsible for 3 goals against, he also killed a number of promising offensive plays.

Even his assist was because he missed the net by mistake.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Not that Juulsen is an upgrade, but that was legitimately the worst game I've seen from a Canucks defenceman that I can remember.

Not only was he directly responsible for 3 goals against, he also killed a number of promising offensive plays.

No knee jerk reactions.

Tocch also didn’t pull sil0v.

Ian Cole gets a chat with video replay guys and Adam Foote. Its all good.

Pat Quinn use to send guys right back out right after a bad shift.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No knee jerk reactions.

Tocch also didn’t pull sil0v.

Ian Cole gets a chat with video replay guys and Adam Foote. Its all good.

Pat Quinn use to send guys right back out right after a bad shift.

Yup. I think Cole earned some benefit of the doubt with a great series against the Preds, too. Last night was just a nightmare trainwreck for him.

Hopefully he regroups, settles, and is better in Game 2.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane reportedly engaged in heated arguments with several fellow teammates in the locker room after the team choked and gave up a 4-1 lead, ultimately losing 5-4 in devastating fashion to the Vancouver Canucks in game 1.

Kane reportedly left the locker room early, visibly upset.

Good.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA

Echoing what others have said. Dude had a brutal game and deserved every bit of criticism thrown his way but his Nashville series has earned him a second chance. If he has another game like that I think he should sit or just have his ice time reduced. The oilers speed seemed to give him problems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad