Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM06 | Canucks defeat Predators | 1-0 (Suter) | SILOVS! SUTER! HEROES!

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So happy to put this team in our Rearviewmirror (obligatory Pearl Jam reference). I hated this series and the way Nashville plays. Their ugly ass disgusting piss yellow jerseys and their stupidly annoying fans chanting endlessly, STFU. The officiating was disgraceful. The PP imbalance for a series as close as this one was inexcusable "Gary Bettman's NHL" in fine display as always. Three goals that shouldn't have been goals. F this series. Good riddance, Nashville.

Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov Brock Boeser and Silovs were incredible in this series. Tyler Myers with one of the biggest shot blocks in team history, if we go on a long run this year that's going to be up there with "The Save" in Canucks' lore.

Can't wait for some more wide open hockey. I feel that the team will play much better against Edmonton and now that we know we can win regardless of who's between the pipes it should be a confidence booster to the team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well Arty had a tough time after the WCs MVP performance. First he got divorced in September, that obviously is never easy, but his grandmother news would be the hardest one - she failed the Latvian language exam and it was all over news here (will not comment about politics, but we have difficult relationships with Russians) and there was even a chance she would get deported from country. Arty grandmother is the closest one to him.

Both these things happened right before the season started.

Jeez - never knew any of that. Hope his life has smoother out a bit and he (and his Grandmother) are getting to enjoy this right now.

Reactions: quat

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Silovs could also be one of those players that plays better in more structured hockey.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Beauvillier did nothing to stop Suter on the GWG. Maybe an inside job?

Also watch Miller in the last 15 seconds. Absolute chaos. He is all over Silovs, loses his stick and ends up literally bear hugging his man at the end.

I was just watching that and laughed my ass off at the bear hug. Threw caution to the wind. And that was after he pretty much jumped on top of Silovs to try and help block the shot that Myers sacrificed future generations of Myers children for. :laugh:

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Nashville and Edmonton are lightyears apart defensively. The Preds play a much much more structured game compared to Edmonton.

I really do not think you can take much from this series onto the next. IMO.

Also, the Preds were a top 5 team post the all-star break.
It was confidence-inducing that we managed to nullify a red-hot superstar in Forsberg (who was absolutely on fire this season with 48 goals) and held him to a pair through 6 games.

Hope we can similarly slow down McDavid and Drai. I fully expect them to both be at least point-per-game against us, but we can't let McDavid go super-nova like he just did against the Kings with 12 pts in 5 games.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Nashville and Edmonton are lightyears apart defensively. The Preds play a much much more structured game compared to Edmonton.

I really do not think you can take much from this series onto the next. IMO.

Also, the Preds were a top 5 team post the all-star break.
I think this gets lost in every discussion. Their record post all star break was insane. The team tightened up defensively to counter and to insulate their goalies.
I was bored to tears almost the whole series but they got the win. If they lost I feel like the discussions would be drastically different though. Thankfully we’ll never have to worry about that

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I was just watching that and laughed my ass off at the bear hug. Threw caution to the wind. And that was after he pretty much jumped on top of Silovs to try and help block the shot that Myers sacrificed future generations of Myers children for. :laugh:

During the last couple of shots our boys were playing superior form of sport that is a hybrid of American football and ice hockey.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Take off your pants.

Cole also got the rest of the shot with his glove on top of Silovs. I was thinking the same thing Miller was. Just start f***ing throwing people down. What difference does it make? Even push the net off.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Look. For all of the shit everyone has given Pettersson (myself included), that game winner does not happen without him.

I sincerely hope that is what gets him out of his own head, because we will not beat Edmonton unless he is contributing.

Take off your pants.

Cole also got the rest of the shot with his glove on top of Silovs. I was thinking the same thing Miller was. Just start f***ing throwing people down. What difference does it make? Even push the net off.

Yep, in the last 10 seconds of the game you do whatever you have to do to stop the puck from going in the net (without giving up a penalty shot) and then win the faceoff.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
So happy to put this team in our Rearviewmirror (obligatory Pearl Jam reference). I hated this series and the way Nashville plays. Their ugly ass disgusting piss yellow jerseys and their stupidly annoying fans chanting endlessly, STFU. The officiating was disgraceful. The PP imbalance for a series as close as this one was inexcusable "Gary Bettman's NHL" in fine display as always. Three goals that shouldn't have been goals. F this series. Good riddance, Nashville.

Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov Brock Boeser and Silovs were incredible in this series. Tyler Myers with one of the biggest shot blocks in team history, if we go on a long run this year that's going to be up there with "The Save" in Canucks' lore.

Can't wait for some more wide open hockey. I feel that the team will play much better against Edmonton and now that we know we can win regardless of who's between the pipes it should be a confidence booster to the team.

Remember THIS?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Such a different feeling with the Canucks winning this series to the first round back in 2011. Obviously that was the slay the dragon Blackhawks and the tension had been building there for a few years. This just felt like, let's get this over with. Nashville plays how they need to play in order to stifle the other team, and it was effective. The Canucks barely got it done.

I think the next round will have much better hockey and far more passion. Does anyone know if Oilers fans are cool, or...?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Silovs ends the series with a 93.8 SV% a GAA of 1.70 and 1 shut out.

He was so calm out there. This kid is going to be taking the reigns from Demko the next couple seasons. I've heard Ian Clarke is super high on Silovs, and he has been fantastic this first round vs Nashville

Part of me knew this was coming. We've seen it so many times before. Patrick Roy, Cam Ward and Jordan Binnington being the most notable examples. Young goalies in the playoffs have this innate ability to rise above the immense pressure and deliver. Nobody expects anything from them.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Look. For all of the shit everyone has given Pettersson (myself included), that game winner does not happen without him.

I sincerely hope that is what gets him out of his own head, because we will not beat Edmonton unless he is contributing.

Yep, in the last 10 seconds of the game you do whatever you have to do to stop the puck from going in the net (without giving up a penalty shot) and then win the faceoff.
Even if you don't win the face off. Just fall on the puck immediately.

Part of me knew this was coming. We've seen it so many times before. Patrick Roy, Cam Ward and Jordan Binnington being the most notable examples. Young goalies in the playoffs have this innate ability to rise above the immense pressure and deliver. Nobody expects anything from them.
Kelly Hrudey had a great point last night. He said when you are a young goalie you are still fresh and have a blank slate. He said he got more nervous as he got older cuz you'd have all this baggage and second thoughts and memories weighing you down and you'd get in your own head more.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
@WTG

The Preds were a top five team since the all star break but cooled off significantly in their last 10 or so games of the season and I think may have even had a losing record over that period.

It’s not like we faced a team that was on a hot streak. Their hit streak has already ended.

Edit: just checked, they were 4-5-1 in their last 10 so the narrative that we we’re facing a hot team is not a good one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Indiana and geebaan

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
We have our answer. It was the contract all along!

Now that Myers is no longer getting paid under that contract (last cheque came at the end of the regular season), he is playing lights out!

free agent rule of thumb: never give a guy suddenly killing it for his next contract a new one, just sit back and enjoy the ride

Reactions: Indiana and iceburg

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
@WTG

The Preds were a top five team since the all star break but cooled off significantly in their last 10 or so games of the season and I think may have even had a losing record over that period.

It’s not like we faced a team that was on a hot streak. Their hit streak has already ended.

Edit: just checked, they were 4-5-1 in their last 10 so the narrative that we we’re facing a hot team is not a good one.

They were, however, a top-10 offensive team during the season (10th, but still). The Oilers were 4th.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They were, however, a top-10 offensive team during the season (10th, but still). The Oilers were 4th.
Ya. And it’s not like LA was a great team, and really, was arguably worse than Nashville.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ya. And it’s not like LA was a great team, and really, was arguably worse than Nashville.

Kings were probably a better team down the stretch, and a bit better on average through the season outside of the Preds hot streak. They do not have Saros or Josi, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad