Vegas about to circumvent cap again? UPD: Mark Stone back practicing.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
1. Do you have any proof Mark Stone was not hurt and should never have been on LTIR? You can disagree that rule should be the way it is, but you have accept it is the rule. And if you agree Vegas followed letter of the law... I mean.

2. Yes, owners trying to win is good for the sport.
Come on Kelly.

First the cap gymnastics and then posing as a neutral fan on an internet message board to defend it?

rea

Feb 8, 2011
1000024906.gif

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
3 cheaters down, 1 to go

Colorado’s overage is Landeskog and it’s not clear he’ll play again at all, let alone coming back in these playoffs. It’s not about being over the cap - it’s about having 7-10M on the IR specifically allowing you to acquire rentals/deadline players and then, “suddenly” the player who was LTIR is playing in game 1 while looking like they never missed a beat. The Leafs overage was Murray, Muzzin and Klingberg? And none of them returned miraculously in the first round, let alone first game. I wanted Toronto to choke again, so there’s no reason I’d defend them. Tampa is Seabrook and Sergachev. Serge was genuinely injured and didn’t dress in game 1. I also dislike Tampa and wanted them out. Vegas actually is the one one actively doing “this”. And it honestly just makes them more unlikeable.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The Avs is Landy who isn't going to play this year. He might be skating, but he won't dress this year. So that one is legitimate.
Even if he came back now it’s the 2nd round. It’s the whole not healthy game 82 and then 2nd in ice time for forwards in game 83.

I get it’s not cheating according to the rules and I actually respect those that fully own it and know it’s a fabrication from someone like Doctor Nick Riviera, just can’t listen to anyone that thinks it’s a repeating coincidence

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Oh please he just sucks now. Him sucking, Hertl sucking, Mantha sucking has zero relevanace to Vegas cheating.

Just cause they suck at cheating doesn’t mean they didn’t cheat.
One, they absoutely did NOT cheat. They broke not a single rule. The NHL could stop what Vegas did if it chose to. Instead it chooses not to.

Second, it is clear as day that Stone was not right. Had this still been the regular season, then he would not have been playing regardless of the cap. The whole narrative was always bullshit.

Not really because Stone even at 50% is better than most players in the league, and factoring in adding Hanifin and Hertl with the "saved money" is still an advantage.

Also, if he's not healthy for game 1 then he also wasn't healthy for game 82, which means the team probably could have played him in that game but couldn't for cap reasons. In other words, he wasn't on LTIR by that point because he couldn't go, but because the decided not to activate him.
That is exactly backwards. He played only because it was the playoffs. Had it still been the regular season he would not have been playing because he clearly was not right. But don't let facts get in the way of a good bitch fest. Especially the FACT that Vegas did absolutely nothing against the rules.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Colorado’s overage is Landeskog and it’s not clear he’ll play again at all, let alone coming back in these playoffs. It’s not about being over the cap - it’s about having 7-10M on the IR specifically allowing you to acquire rentals/deadline players and then, “suddenly” the player who was LTIR is playing in game 1 while looking like they never missed a beat. The Leafs overage was Murray, Muzzin and Klingberg? And none of them returned miraculously in the first round, let alone first game. I wanted Toronto to choke again, so there’s no reason I’d defend them. Tampa is Seabrook and Sergachev. Serge was genuinely injured and didn’t dress in game 1. I also dislike Tampa and wanted them out. Vegas actually is the one one actively doing “this”. And it honestly just makes them more unlikeable.
Phew, that rules out Vegas, sure he played game 1... but he should have been scratched the whole series, he was terrible.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It’s pretty simple - if you can play game 1 and look fully up to speed and ready, you probably were ready to be activated from IR a couple of weeks earlier. But couldn’t be because you went well above the cap. If you’re genuinely injured and can come back for game 4 or round 2, that’s whatever. The issue everyone has is stashing 8M contracts on LTIR through the TDL and having them be miraculously well healed and game ready for the very first game of the playoffs.

Stone was very much not in regular game shape in the first round. Kucherov also wasn’t in the first round when Tampa did this. People forget how bad he was, but he progressed as the playoffs went on.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Like I said, wrote paragraphs on this subject in this thread. If you aren’t just being a contrarian and actually care about my thoughts on the subject, look it up. It’ll address the “rule” Vegas is using which is in fact just a loophole the NHL in its incompetence accidentally left in the CBA. Or do you think the CBA was written to stash “injured” players to the start of the playoffs so they can load up to the max and to an amount higher than their competition.
So are they breaking the rule or not? Yes or no? It sounds like no to me.

I care about facts. I don’t care about your opinion. You are perfectly entitled to feel jealous.

Dec 15, 2002
It’s pretty simple - if you can play game 1 and look fully up to speed and ready, you probably were ready to be activated from IR a couple of weeks earlier.
You also probably couldn't have been, but we've only been over that dozens of times now.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
will be interesting when they do the same thing next season. Cassidy is already laying ground work saying LOTS if players played with injuries. At Least they are consistent

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Stone was very much not in regular game shape in the first round. Kucherov also wasn’t in the first round when Tampa did this. People forget how bad he was, but he progressed as the playoffs went on.

People play with injuries in the post season all the time. This isn’t new.

The only difference is that their teams don’t get to benefit by being 20 million over the cap

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Stones career doesn't have much runway left due to his back, he could barely get around the ice last night.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
The difference is, the players on LTIR for those other teams either did not play at all or came back later in the series unlike Vegas who suddenly and miraculously had Stone healthy again for the 1st game

Leafs- Muzzin, Murray, Klingberg. They did not play a single game

Tampa- Sergachev(came back later in the series) only played 2 games, and they have Seabrook still on LTIR

Avs- Francouz who retired, Landeskog who’s still a big question mark if he’ll play anytime in this playoffs or ever.

This other teams did not fake injury recovery timelines like Vegas did

Actually Stone looked less healthy in this series than I expected him to look. There are lots of comments from people watching that thought he clearly looked injured.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Has there ever been a LTIR player who came back to play in the final 5 games of the regular season when the team was over the salary cap, and the team was destined for the playoffs?

If not, then you know what teams are trying to do, clear as day. If the league doesn't fix this loophole, then their actions border on malfeasance.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Stones career doesn't have much runway left due to his back, he could barely get around the ice last night.
He's already setting the team up when he goes on Robidas Island after this season so they can have some salary cap relief in 25-26 and 26-27 for Leon or Rantenen

• Haha
Reactions: Oilslick941611

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad