Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Time will tell, maybe he's learned a thing or two.

The coaches do not progress very well. You have it, or you do not. That's why they have no more then two big stints and if they are under 500, they are done for good. Green is going for the third strike. Jersey figured him out pretty quick. After Sens, he will never land a head coach job ever again. We are just the last hope franchise for all the rejects. Very sad indeed!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone know the type of X’s and O’s systems that Green employs?

Thats most important to me
I’ve only heard he likes aggressive. Push and force.
Sounds good on the surface.

Reactions: DJB

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I didn't expect anything else, but he came across well in his first interaction with Sens media. Talking about learning from past coaches, not only the good but the bad and what he wouldn't do was refreshing. The proof will be in the pudding, but it's a good start.

I'd rather he have free reign to bring in his own staff, but it sounds like Staois is going to have a lot of say in that. If it means Gruden coming on as an assistant it might end up working for the best.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Any chance someone like Julien would take an associate/assistant coaching job at this point in time? Seems far fetched, but we saw Lindy Ruff and Jacques Martin do it in recent years. Hell, some Pens fans even credit Martin more than Sullivan for their Cups.

We already know Andlauer and Julien have a relationship and could at least use him in the office.

• Love
Reactions: DrEasy

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
It probably takes a bit more than 10-20 games for a new coach to implement his system and get players to buy in
The we're probably pretty screwed again this season.

I don't have much faith that this roster can dig themselves out of a hole a quarter of the way through the season.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Green is a tier 4 coach in NHL! Just comprehend this!!

-tier 3 coaches make consistently playoffs above 500 record
-tier 2 go deeper into playoff rounds
-tier 1 won the Stanley Cup

Sens are hiring a coach who only once made playoffs and ha an under 500 record.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
His system is eating spoonfuls of butter. He just sits and eats like 2lbs when he's high.
Butter is very good for you. That’s what the old men on YouTube tell me anyway. No reason to doubt them.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The we're probably pretty screwed again this season.

I don't have much faith that this roster can dig themselves out of a hole a quarter of the way through the season.
I don’t think it will have much to do with systems if we get off to a bad start, you can ease people into those changes. It’s more or less just that it’s gonna take time for our players to actually refine their games, no coach can make that happen overnight. Jacques should’ve made that obvious by now, there is no ‘on’ switch for it. You just have to hope they can be average and get better as the season goes on, but it could also take all year for all we know.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Have you always been this way?

Butter is very good for you. That’s what the old men on YouTube tell me anyway. No reason to doubt them.
I can't believe it's not butter. Hahaha

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It probably takes a bit more than 10-20 games for a new coach to implement his system and get players to buy in
Shouldn't take that long at all especially with a full training camp and pre season games

Like Mike Johnson said before there aren't many different ways of playing the game of hockey and these guys have probably seen all of them

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

So these guy are Tier 1 coaches???

1) Marc Crawford (1 cup in 16 seasons and missed playoffs in 8 seasons) 2) John Muckler (1 cup and sub .500 record 10 seasons) , 3) Bob Hartley ( 1 cup in 14 seasons with 6 missed playoffs plus 2 times fired in mid season) 4) Dan Bylsma ( hired with 25 games left in 2008-09 season won cup then no other cup final appearances in 7 seasons) 5) Terry Crisp (won a cup in his 2nd season and proceeded to miss the playoffs in 4 of the next 6 seasons he coached)

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkwild

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The coaches do not progress very well. You have it, or you do not. That's why they have no more then two big stints and if they are under 500, they are done for good. Green is going for the third strike. Jersey figured him out pretty quick. After Sens, he will never land a head coach job ever again. We are just the last hope franchise for all the rejects. Very sad indeed!

There are plenty of examples of coaches who failed their first (and second) time around who coached successful and winning teams. Rick Tocchet is doing it right now in Vancouver.

It absolutely isn't a case of "having it or not"

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Tocchet said it took the end of last year plus training camp. Boucher said 2-3 months. I guess it depends on the player.

Reactions: PlayOn

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think Jacques was implementing alot of the things that Green (hopefully) will be able to install, so we had a bit of a headstart in that regard. Maybe less of an acclimation process at the beginning of the season?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad