GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Still trying to figure out a good partner for Rielly and whether that’s someone we can sign through free agency or through a trade. I’d would trade for Chabot and sign Desharnais.

Chabot - McCabe
Rielly - ________
Benoit - Desharnais

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Still trying to figure out a good partner for Rielly and whether that’s someone we can sign through free agency or through a trade. I’d would trade for Chabot and sign Desharnais.

Chabot - McCabe
Rielly - ________
Benoit - Desharnais
C Tanev who we should have signed instead of Brodie.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If we move Marner and trim some fat, there's plenty of cap to go after several ufa dmen. I mocked up something like this:

Reilly - Tanev/Roy (5.5ish)
Skjei (7.5ish) - Montour (6.5ish)
Benoit - McCabe

And there was still cap for Stolarz, Domi, and another 5Mish top-6 guy.

Edit: my mock was Domi OR some other 5M top-6 guy, not both.
I mean if you moved out Kampf/Jarnkrok/Timmins/Reaves you may even be able to do that before moving Marner

Reactions: HomelessPepper

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
If we move Marner and trim some fat, there's plenty of cap to go after several ufa dmen. I mocked up something like this:

Reilly - Tanev/Roy (5.5ish)
Skjei (7.5ish) - Montour (6.5ish)
Benoit - McCabe

And there was still cap for Stolarz, Domi, and another 5Mish top-6 guy.

Edit: my mock was Domi OR some other 5M top-6 guy, not both.

If they unload Marner they can build a nice defence this offseason. Then next offseason when Tavares expires and the cap goes up they can fill out the top 6.

If they resign Domi they'll have 4/6 already in place (Matthews, Nylander, Knies, Domi.) Obviously a big chunk will go to 2C whether through free agency or trade.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We really should also get rid of Kampf. For 2.4 he is too much for a 4C. Holmberg is more than ready to take over that role at a fraction of the cost.
I’ve always found Holmberg meh, but he impressed me in the playoffs.

He has some tinfoil to him and brought more physicality than I expected.

If we can bring in solid PK/defensive forwards for less, I am open to trading Kampf for draft capital and cap space and run Holmberg at 4C.

I could even see Holmberg himself continuing to evolve into that defensive forward/Centre.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Having a difficult time imagining a scenario of us winning a Marner trade

You know we won’t be going after futures. Which means we will be trading the best player in the deal and getting back some fluff.

My hope is for a relatively high profile prospect ready to contribute, a solid roster player, and a first.

But I fear they’re not going to get a whole lot out of him. Especially compared to what many will expect.

Seattle intrigues me. Utah could want to make a splash as well. I think they’d probably deal with a team out West. Maybe Chicago to give Bedard a star to play with? Though I think they probably stay the course on their rebuild. Likely looking at a team that lacks star power up front on the cusp of the playoffs.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Can the Leafs pull Byfield from LA for Marner? Future 2C that the Leafs hopefully can lock up long term. 8x$7.5 mill AAV?

Marner + Liljegren for Kempe + Byfield?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Chicago to play with Bedard maybe... but I'm not sure what we'd legitimately want from them, that helps us long term. I'm not a fan of Jones TBH. It's probably too soon for them, to really spend the assets on a Marner anyway.

I forget who connected us on Jones and I immediately thought "I don't think that's a Marner trade"

Liljegren and Robertson for a 3-3.5M retained Jones might be something that is palatable to the Leafs but there is little incentive for them to have dead cap that long.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
3 team deal. Leafs tell Tavares they want to trade him, dont want to re-sign him. JT's agent searches for a team that he likes and will take Tavares at 50% retained this year plus give him an extension. Tavares accepts he might as well move his family now since he's not comig back after next season anyways. This works unless Tavares is Leafs or retire.

SJ retains 50% of Tavares' deal, Leafs send a first

Some team trades for Tavares, Leafs get a pick (maybe a 2nd??)

Significant shake up to the team and cap situation.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The first priority is defense
The second priority is a 1B baclup
Sign Domi
Signing another player for 9 mil puts tight where we are no cap to build a team.
I'm not saying we should sign them, I'm saying if a team is good, has the cap space, and is in a desirable market, they'll look to sign Stammer/Guentzel/Reinhart before trading for Marner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not saying we should sign them, I'm saying if a team is good, has the cap space, and is in a desirable market, they'll look to sign Stammer/Guentzel/Reinhart before trading for Marner.

I think Stamkos and Reinhart stay where they are.

That leaves Guentzel and even then, the Canes are talking extension.

Tarasenko, Teravainen, Pavelski, Duchene, Monahan and Toffoli are a bit of a step backwards from that tier.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if there could be a potential 3-way deal that see’s us acquiring Jiricek.

To Toronto: David Jiricek
To Columbus: Third Team 1st Rounder + ideally a center
To Third Team: Mitch Marner

A framework around something like that as I doubt Marner would waive for Columbus and we could use what we’d acquire for Marner to flip for Jiricek.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder if there could be a potential 3-way deal that see’s us acquiring Jiricek.

To Toronto: David Jiricek
To Columbus: Third Team 1st Rounder + ideally a center
To Third Team: Mitch Marner

A framework around something like that as I doubt Marner would waive for Columbus and we could use what we’d acquire for Marner to flip for Jiricek.
Speaking of Columbus!

This article dropped earlier today

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kampf has been a good soldier but probably needs to be a priority for Tre to move. Dewar looks more than capable of handing sheltered 4th line usage, and the team has more or less abandoned treating the third line as a shutdown unit.

He should be but I have my doubts he's a player they essentially dump in the first year of his extension. It will also depend on the new coach and his plans about how he'd like to have his lines constructed. We'll see.

I do think he should be traded to any team willing to part with a mid round pick with no salary back if possible. Full re-do.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
3 team deal. Leafs tell Tavares they want to trade him, dont want to re-sign him. JT's agent searches for a team that he likes and will take Tavares at 50% retained this year plus give him an extension. Tavares accepts he might as well move his family now since he's not comig back after next season anyways. This works unless Tavares is Leafs or retire.

SJ retains 50% of Tavares' deal, Leafs send a first

Some team trades for Tavares, Leafs get a pick (maybe a 2nd??)

Significant shake up to the team and cap situation.

SJ has no retention slots left into next season. They decided to retain on Hertls contract which runs until 2030, which is insane and down right stupid of them. They are also retaining on Karlsson until 2027. And they will still be paying Brent Burns next season until July 1st 2025.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Speaking of Columbus!

This article dropped earlier today

The 4th overall pick would be nice, Johnson on the other hand doesn’t really interest me much. If there’s a deal with Columbus where Marner either goes there or to another team, Jiricek should be coming to Toronto.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Chabot - McCabe
Rielly - ________
Benoit - Desharnais

Matt Roy seems pretty ideal
- RHD
- 6'2 210lbs
- Blocks shots and is physical
- Can move the puck and not treat it like a grenade
- Solid defensively
- 29 years old

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It feels like IF there’s a Marner trade (sounds hopeful at best based on what the insiders have been saying), it’s going to be some convoluted 3-way trade, like the Karlsson one last summer.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kampf has been a good soldier but probably needs to be a priority for Tre to move. Dewar looks more than capable of handing sheltered 4th line usage, and the team has more or less abandoned treating the third line as a shutdown unit.

If they aren't going to use Kampf in a shut down role, it's a waste of money. They definitely should use him.... but, that's a different discussion.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It feels like IF there’s a Marner trade (sounds hopeful at best based on what the insiders have been saying), it’s going to be some convoluted 3-way trade, like the Karlsson one last summer.

It seems like a given that a 3rd team will retain half his salary, and based on the difference between cap hit and actual cash, it should be a lesser cost than normal to retain 5.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad