HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
watching the carolina/NYR game and man I would offer the moon for Svechnikov...Hurricanes kinda need a 2C since KK completely lost it but we do not have a 2c to spare... and I saw that they might lose 3 of their D's this summer..and the 3 others next summer..they do have nice D prospects in Morrow and Nikishin but, I assume they will need more.

So, if Brady Skjei and Brett Pesce decide to walk this summer, I would offer :

Mike Matheson + Mailloux or Xhekaj + Calgary's 1st round pick in 2025

for

Andrei Svechnikov
Carolina is not trading Svechnikov - - especially not for that offer.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Just the pick and and Harris or added with Ghule?
I’m not an expert by any means - I’m an American CPA (accountant) so that qualifies me for nothing lol.

But yes, no Guhle. Just a pick and a defenseman not Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, or Xhekaj (I don’t think they’re trading him).

Marner not waiving for the Habs. Think about it.
lol. Yeah probably not - a Toronto kid/lifelong leafs fan and we’re not currently a contender.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
No, we need his leadership, experience and his stability defensively.

His more valuable to the Habs then the value we will get for him

Beside Barron becoming waiver eligible, there is no rush to keep Reinbacher & Mailloux in MTL if they are not ready. I wouldn't mind extending Savard for another year at a low salary. Like you said, he's good with the kids and wants to stay home. If he is okay with eventually being the 6-7D in the near future, that's a no-brainer for me.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That’s right - $84M to be exact w $64M in bonus payouts. Playing hockey is their livelihood, it’s all about maximizing take home earnings especially for top end players where we’re talking generational wealth
Many top end players across several pro sports have shown this not to be true.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No player has ever left million$ on the table…ever.

Couple of hundred K sure.
Leaving "millions on the table" & "it's all about maximizing earnings" are two completely different statements

This isn't a garden, no strawman required ;)

And several players have indeed left millions on the table. So that comment is itself demonstrably false.

You may have heard of a guy named Tom Brady?

O-2

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Tavares might have. Rumors are the Sharks offered him $13M AAV.
SJS offer wasn’t eligible for bonus structure payout Leafs offered - SJS would’ve needed to offer $10M more over duration of contract to match the take home Leafs contract provided

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
SJS offer wasn’t eligible for bonus structure payout Leafs offered - SJS would’ve needed to offer $10M more over duration of contract to match the take home Leafs contract provided

Why wasn't the Sharks offer not eligible for bonus structure? How do you knows this? All I remember is they were offering $13M and there is no way you can tell me what the bonus structure was. I doubt that type of information is available.... like the exact contract details.

Sharks gave E Karlsson $53M/$92M in bonus structure. The year after Tavares signed.

Reactions: Miller Time

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Trade Savard, he’s old and won’t get any faster. Free up a spot for a young D

You don't trade someone just because he's old and not getting any faster lol

If he gets displaced by a younger defenseman naturally then sure, but it would be beyond stupid to force a young D to take his spot when there's plenty of room for them to gain professional experience in the AHL.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why wasn't the Sharks offer not eligible for bonus structure? How do you knows this? All I remember is they were offering $13M and there is no way you can tell me what the bonus structure was. I doubt that type of information is available.... like the exact contract details.
Because there’s a special clause created in the Canada / US tax treaty as an exemption for athletes to allow bonus payments from Canadian teams to be taxed at a ridiculously low rate (via tax credits) as long as they maintain US residency status (6-months + 1-day on US soil).

Canadian teams along w Bettman lobbied US & Cdn govts hard as a means to even the playing field for attracting players to Canada.

Auston Matthews was the first player to take full advantage of it w the 2nd contract which was almost entirely paid in bonuses with approx $800K as taxable salary

Heavily bonus structured contracts are an enormous advantage for Cdn NHL teams, especially Leafs, Habs and Cgy/Edm due to lowest provincial taxation - only catch it for US resident players only and Tavares is now going to get whacked by Revenue Canada because he has broken his residency requirements

Reactions: Deam78

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because there’s a special clause created in the Canada / US tax treaty as an exemption for athletes to allow bonus payments from Canadian teams to be taxed at a ridiculously low rate (via tax credits) as long as they maintain US residency status (6-months + 1-day on US soil).

Canadian teams along w Bettman lobbied US & Cdn govts hard as a means to even the playing field for attracting players to Canada.

Auston Matthews was the first player to take full advantage of it w the 2nd contract which was almost entirely paid in bonuses with approx $800K as taxable salary

Taxes only apply if you spend the money bud. Most of the players salaries are invested. Who's actually spending $5M+ a year to live? E Kane? lol.

Reactions: the

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Thank you for posting, almost every one of them declined the offers betting on themselves w a short-term deal in order to hit the jackpot with strong performance over the course of the short deal and almost all of them failed miserably.

As Latrell Sprewell famously stated offer “wasn’t enough to feed his family” after rejected the 3yrs / $21M…and blew it big time

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
32 thoughts- Kaliyev is getting dealt.

I wish they wouldn't eat when they record, or Elliotte is just super annoying with the amount of noise he makes with his mouth.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Thank you for posting, almost every one of them declined the offers betting on themselves w a short-term deal in order to hit the jackpot with strong performance over the course of the short deal and almost all of them failed miserably.

The word "almost" is important.
"All" is a word that has a different meaning.

Almost everyone and all are not the same.

Sooooo.... I guess you are acknowledging that the initial comment you made was inaccurate?

Why you then doubled down on an even more false statement is odd... Especially when a 2-second google search quickly could highlight that.

Speaking in absolutes is often, as in this case, a great way to be completely wrong.

• Love

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The word "almost" is important.
"All" is a word that has a different meaning.

Almost everyone and all are not the same.

Sooooo.... I guess you are acknowledging that the initial comment you made was inaccurate?

Why you then doubled down on an even more false statement is odd... Especially when a 2-second google search quickly could highlight that.

Speaking in absolutes is often, as in this case, a great way to be completely wrong.
Nope - no top end end player leaves Million$ on the table, the ones that did were banking on making more & majority miscalculated & blew their opportunity.

Talking generational wealth here - and with each passing year the $ figures for top end players grows exponentially and they’ve become even more sensitive to hoarding as much as they can given the short lifespan of their careers which can end at any moment for no fault of their own.

As a former boss once advised me “I want to make so much money, not because I want or need it but so that my grandchildren’s grandchildren never have to worry about security one day of their life”.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad