The Laziest Player In The League...

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There are things Ovi flat out doesn't do. This year against the Jets he made me laugh. Someone on his line dumped the puck in for him to chase. Ovi don't chase. He just gives his team mate a stare and goes for a change.
I remember he was getting a lot of similar criticism circa 2017, and it really seemed to get to him. He went home, lost 15 pounds in the offseason, and actually busted his ass the next year rather than just waiting for everyone around him to do all the work and just feed him the puck. Turns out, that season he was a monster and the Caps won the cup.

Since then, he's fully devolved back into lazy Ovi, where his job is to stand on the dot and wait for somebody else to get the puck for him. But he has his cup now, so clearly no need to feel guilt about it.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I don't think Ovechkin is an especially lazy player.

At his peak he played hard. He was always moving and exerting effort. He wasn't great defensively, but I'm not sure that was primarily an effort problem.

He's coasting in that clip, but you can find similar clips of other notable players.

You don't score that many goals and have that many seasons as a noteworthy player if you're lazy.
From the red line to the opponent net, you are correct. But on the D end, a point can be made Ovi was not the more engaged player.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Athanasiou. They guy could beat 99% of the league in a 60 foot race by 10 feet. For some reason he insisted on starting out 6 feet ahead. Zero interest in defense.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
he could score at any time he wanted, just only when he wanted to
Kovalev was a true artist. Sniper, Pilot, Musician, you name it.

Sure he had his "Prince" moments, but he always made up for his pouting:

tumblr_oq7q56rwzG1spx4u4o1_400.gif

• Love
Reactions: wgknestrick

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I know some won't agree because qhen he wants to be he is a beast

But leon draisaitl during the regular season can be infuriating to watch

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
Leaf fans won't admit it but it's Nylander. He doesn't battle for the puck, he just sets picks.

Reactions: Oak

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Laine. God given talent in that shot but just doesn't seem to like hockey.

Byfuglien is another guy who was just good at hockey but didn't like it. He gave back $16m just to not play or even deal with LTIR. He was known for being one of the few players who would gain weight throughout the season. He did have a few years when he was engaged and it was amazing.
Patrik Laine, playing Fortnite all the time.
These takes make me think that for you guys Patrik Laine still plays for the Jets and you haven't experienced the COVID pandemic either.. Btw hate to break it but Bruins lose to Blues in 7.

Reactions: majormajor

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
These takes make me think that for you guys Patrik Laine still plays for the Jets and you haven't experienced the COVID pandemic either.. Btw hate to break it but Bruins lose to Blues in 7.
Word salad.

I call Laine the fisherman. He's allergic to contact on the boards so he stands as far away as possible and uses his long stick to attempt to fish the pick out. Don't worry Patrick, someone else will do the hard work, just stand at the blue line and wait.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
An oldie but a goodie is when Calgary made the Gilmour trade and Leeman was the big name forward coming back. I believe it was Button who asked a scout when he was walking off the plane is that the goalie we got. The scout answered no that's Leeman. He knew right then they were in trouble. Apparently Gary was not much of a fan on conditioning.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Word salad.

I call Laine the fisherman. He's allergic to contact on the boards so he stands as far away as possible and uses his long stick to attempt to fish the pick out. Don't worry Patrick, someone else will do the hard work, just stand at the blue line and wait.

It's like you haven't watched a game in years.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It's like you haven't watched a game in years.
You look fantastic in those BJ tinted glasses.

The reputation for his aversion to the Gym alone from both BJ player and Jet players says it all.

I have my doubts he plays again. God given talent but he doesn't like hockey. He has enough money now that he doesn't have to do it any more.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This years playoff OV was something I never expected, especially in an elimination game.

Apologies if he's injured and I missed it. But that was a level of coasting I'd not seen even in an All Star game.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
I see Kovalev mentioned a few times and rightfully so.
AK27 with a MacKinnon work ethic woulda been a top 5 winger of all time and I don’t say that lightly. One of the most elite hands of all time, up there with Datsyuk in that specific department.
He just did his own thing but whenever he felt for some reason that he needed to prove a point (only happened a handful of times during the season), he became the best player in the league that night in a flip of a switch.
And the thing is that it’s not just “a one off” amazing night like any player can have at any point during the season. You can see and tell that he DECIDED to take over the game and he did just that. He would be the best player on the ice even with Prime Crosby on top of his game on the other side. It’s pretty insane when you think of the “what if” with Kovalev

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I see Kovalev mentioned a few times and rightfully so.
AK27 with a MacKinnon work ethic woulda been a top 5 winger of all time and I don’t say that lightly. One of the most elite hands of all time, up there with Datsyuk in that specific department.
He just did his own thing but whenever he someone felt he needed to proove a point a handful of times during the season, he became the best player in the league that night in a flip of a switch.
And the thing is that it’s not just “a one off” amazing night like any player can have at any point during the season. You can see and tel that he DECIDED to take over the game and he did just that. He would be the best player on the ice even with Prime Crosby on top of his game on the other side. It’s pretty insane when you think of the “what if” with Kovalev
Take it down about 20%

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
The Crosby comment was a little far.
Reread please. Im not saying consistently, I’m saying on a given night where he flipped the switch.
And I gave that example because I have witnessed him do so in a game vs Pittsburgh with Prime Crosby on the other side.
Not saying he’s better than Crosby. He was never going to be given his lack of consistency and Crosby has the insane work ethic to add on top of his elite talent which pushes him to a top 10 player of all time.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You're also going to see more laziness out of talented players, because the bottom line players usually play an energy role that requires a strong work ethic and overall drive. It's just so much more noticeable for a guy to put up 50 points and look lazy because he sometimes looks likehe could challenge for the Art Ross.

Kovalev is probably the best all-time example of this, and PLD is probably the best active one.

From my team, Logan Brown always seemed extremely lazy as well.

Reactions: DitchMarner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad