Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
it was done for extra depth for a drive. Oiler D has remained in tact. Both Strecher and Carrick were brought in for depth the oilers needed now. Not for 5 years from now. These are the deals teams in win now mode do
I know why it was done. But what Bob is complaining about is the price of that depth.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah Stauffer epitomizes the problem with our gutless media. Wow real brave point Bob now that Holland is running off to Columbus.
I honestly don’t know if it’s any different with media in other cities. Seems like it’s all a club and the media are a bunch of jock sniffers who want to be in the mix and so don’t rock th boat until they know it’s ok.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I honestly don’t know if it’s any different with media in other cities. Seems like it’s all a club and the media are a bunch of jock sniffers who want to be in the mix and so don’t rock th boat until they know it’s ok.
Other major American cities they are much harder in places like Chicago and new York. Even Toronto and Montreal to some degree. But yes here in Edmonton without a doubt "skinner had a brilliant game last night" type media.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I dunno. Theres guys like Steve Simmonds in Toronto and “Brooksie” in New York that dont seem to be afraid to question coaches/management. Obviously a bit different given Bob is employed by OEG though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Stauffer is a piece of shit like the rest of our media. Says absolutely nothing for years except when he is told Holland is leaving.

Such a little beta cuck so scared he'll have to run into Holland.
HyBOBle is not media. He's extended PR as a team employee. He has a terrible toxic habit of sucking up to his hockey operations employee colleagues until they are let go or move on then he trashes them. Pretty spineless stuff. Love to brags endlessly about the rare stuff he gets right (Oilers were all wrong for the Red Wings) but he's the guy who predicted Ralph Kruger would win a Jack Adams Trophy and shoved a Darnel Nurse Larry Robinson comparison down people's throats. Imagine anyone comparing the games and hockey processors of Darnell Nurse and Hall of Fame Larry Robinson.

His most important 'work' was to be a shill for the new arena public subsidy for the private company that employs him. This is a vital function and standard operating procedure within every sports business lobbying public sentiment to support heavily subsidize of rinks and stadiums. See Eric Francis in Calgary for their version.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
HyBOBle is not media. He's extended PR as a team employee. He has a terrible toxic habit of sucking up to his hockey operations employee colleagues until they are let go or move on then he trashes them. Pretty spineless stuff. Love to brags endlessly about the rare stuff he gets right (Oilers were all wrong for the Red Wings) but he's the guy who predicted Ralph Kruger would win a Jack Adams Trophy and shoved a Darnel Nurse Larry Robinson comparison down people's throats. Imagine anyone comparing the games and hockey processors of Darnell Nurse and Hall of Fame Larry Robinson.

His most important 'work' was to be a shill for the new arena public subsidy for the private company that employs him. This is a vital function and standard operating procedure within every sports business lobbying public sentiment to support heavily subsidize of rinks and stadiums. See Eric Francis in Calgary for their version.

Hey. His promotion of Royal Pizza is next level stuff. Mediterranean Chicken is a folklore saying in E-town thanks to him.

And he would have carved out an NHL career from SSAC had he the skill courage strength blah blah blah blah. But we get to hear about his Bantam AAA glory years daily and we get to hear about the buddies who were his teammates 40 years ago and what they do today - like we give a shit.

:nod:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Hey. His promotion of Royal Pizza is next level stuff. Mediterranean Chicken is a folklore saying in E-town thanks to him.

And he would have carved out an NHL career from SSAC had he the skill courage strength blah blah blah blah. But we get to hear about his Bantam AAA glory years daily and we get to hear about the buddies who were his teammates 40 years ago and what they do today - like we give a shit.

:nod:
Don’t forget the tree planting….ahh the tree planting

I like Bob. Edmonton sports legend in my books, and he will be remembered as such.
For all his annoyances, like when he speaks about politics without knowing anything about politics. He is a sports legend in Edmonton. I agree

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don’t forget the tree planting….ahh the tree planting

For all his annoyances- he is a sports legend in Edmonton. I agree
Yeh I don’t agree with all his takes. In fact, sometimes it plain pisses me off. But no one is 100% right on their hockey takes, see media members all over the place get things wrong not to mention us fans. That said, he’s extremely knowledgeable and has the gift of gab. Does his job to a tee and is a true blue Oilers die hard, He’s one of us.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeh I don’t agree with all his takes. In fact, sometimes it plain pisses me off. But no one is 100% right on their hockey takes, see media members all over the place get things wrong not to mention us fans. That said, he’s extremely knowledgeable and has the gift of gab. Does his job to a tee and is a true blue Oilers die hard, He’s one of us.
Agreed

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In terms of Sports Broadcasting, don't think you can find a better pro then Bob. I also like how he's an Oilers homer that's smart enough to go toe to toe with anyone in the media market and win arguments on the Oilers behalf.

For sure. He’s a star in the market no question and despite working for OEG he’s respected by the heavy hitters like Serevalli and Friedman.

One can poke at the idiosyncrasies like the med chicken and his glory days but he has a great sense of self depracating humor.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When you want to build a legacy ... Legacy heating and cooling.

-Bob Stauffer
He will be remembered for lots. Including his endless shilling.

The funniest is Bob personally pushing Peleton on the ad breaks for Oilers Now in podcast form. Okay Bob, im sure you of all people uses the Peleton all the time. Bob pushing pizza, makes sense. Bob pushing exercise, yeh I don’t know about that lol.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I have a love hate relationship with Stauffer haha.

Sometimes he has unreal conversations with Friedman, Seravalli, MacT, Lawton, etc where some super valuable insight, analysis, anecdotes are shared. Other times he sounds like Uncle Rico talking about how things were so much better in the 1980s and talking about specific fights from a random game in 1986 like people give a shit.

His days on Total Sports before joining the OEG were really good because you'd get his actual opinion on things and he wasn't afraid to rip into anyone.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I have a love hate relationship with Stauffer haha.

Sometimes he has unreal conversations with Friedman, Seravalli, MacT, Lawton, etc where some super valuable insight, analysis, anecdotes are shared. Other times he sounds like Uncle Rico talking about how things were so much better in the 1980s and talking about specific fights from a random game in 1986 like people give a shit.

His days on Total Sports before joining the OEG were really good because you'd get his actual opinion on things and he wasn't afraid to rip into anyone.
For sure. He’s a star in the market no question and despite working for OEG he’s respected by the heavy hitters like Serevalli and Friedman.

One can poke at the idiosyncrasies like the med chicken and his glory days but he has a great sense of self depracating humor.
When you want to build a legacy ... Legacy heating and cooling.

-Bob Stauffer
I personally like Stauffer a lot. Not a perfect media personality by any means but my passion for the Oilers can't hold a candle to Bobby Boy's. He works incredibly hard to cover the team and you gotta respect that. He is doing a 3 hour show covering the Oilers on the radio each day of the playoffs. Talk about dedication.

The main thing I don't really like about him is his rambling about his past which I don't find particularly interesting but that's not really a big deal either. I do get a kick out of people roasting him though for some reason. Hearing him read his mean texts from listeners on Oilers Now is hilarious.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Stauffer has plenty of flaws. He's a horrible interviewer (not a good listener), the way he trashes Oilers executives on the way out is a bit tasteless and he loves to hear himself talk but the guy is utterly dedicated to his job very hard worker and his love of the team and local area is unmatched.
History will look back at him as one of THE voices of the Oilers for decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad